• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Qur’an - Textual Criticism

firedragon

Veteran Member
This is not such an easy subject to address in a post.

Textual criticism is the study of what the original author or writer of the book actually said. It does not address if what he said was correct or not, just the assessment of text to identify what the author actually said.

Qur’anic scholars in medieval times took a pragmatic approach, and developed scholarship based on it. It differs from modern literary criticism and it’s methodologies are contrasting in many ways. For example, in textual criticism of the New Testament a scholar might come in front of two sentences that have different readings. One would say Jesus got angry, and the other would say Jesus smiled (as an example). Being Jesus’ his character being peaceful, the writer would not deliberately change something good to bad. That is, a writer will not take a copy that says Jesus smiled, and change it to Jesus got angry. A copyist will not wish to portray in a non-peaceful manner, unless the original writer actually said that Jesus got angry. Thus, the scholar will conclude with high probability that the original writer would have said “Jesus got angry”. This is called the criterion of embarrassment.

In medieval Islamic scholarship, they will not make such an assessment. They will take both vartiations, and see if there were any historical traditions that has any one of them, and they will take the narrator, his character, his memory, age, etc etc and make an assessment where one is correct or not, and sometimes “both are correct”. Anyway, that is a very lengthy subject altogether. Modern day scholars find it a very daunting task to apply textual criticism to the Qur’an.

Some orientalist type of 20th century scholars have tried to do literary criticism of the Qur’an applying techniques developed by Christian scholars of the New Testament which ironically ends up being an attempt at form criticism. Like techniques they had learned from the great Gunkel, all due respect and honour given to Christian scholarship which is one of the most commendable work in my personal opinion. Actual application of textual criticism as applied to the New Testament is very very scarce. Form criticism of the Qur’an by western scholars have been with presuppositions, not an analysis outcome alone. For example, if an analyst take the Bible as the yardstick of a story (e.g. Adam), and claim that the Qur’an has a different version in one place, and another version in another place, both contrasting two different aspects of the Genesis story, it is a presupposition that the Bible is the correct story, and the Qur’an has two different stories, thus, it must be written by two different authors. In criticism, the internal stories must have two different writing styles, contradictions, or/and varying intent’s, not that it differs from Bible. If the two stories in the same book are contradistinctions, it cannot be deemed that two different people wrote those two different stories. I hope that logic is clear.

Qur’anic textual criticism have been approached by non-muslim scholars. Some of them with a wide scope and some, in my opinion, with a very narrow scope. ironically the scholar with a narrow scope gets famous. E.g. Brubaker. He became the sensation of modern day anti Qur’anic polemical pedestal. His work is so widely discredited by muslim and non-muslim scholars. His Phd Title named “early corrections in the Quranic text” or something very similar to that basically claims that there were intentional interpolations. And of course, there are some preachers who pick up the “he said this” argument without knowing the subject, which is an appeal to authority fallacy, and publish videos on the internet, left, right, and enter, and of course, his book sold like hot cakes due to the promotion. The free PR. If needed, we can look at his errors.

Anyway, the most prominent variants in the Quran manuscripts, other than corrections in palimsests are something like a difference between one manuscript to another, e.g. Zulmihim vs Kufrihim. Meaning Injustice vs intentionally hiding a fact. This is a real variation. In this case, what’s the dilemma here? How do you decide which one is the correct one? Can you apply a technique like the criterion of embarrassment? No. Because both meanings are practically similar. Both bad. The Muslim scholar will look at the tradition, the chain of narrations, and make a call. The western scholar will probably look at manuscript’s and take the majority variant. There is no way to make a judgment call based on the meaning. And both variations go back in tradition to earliest chains of narrations.

The Quran’s manuscript tradition goes back to the times of the prophet Muhammed. Some preachers have tried to make the case that it predates Muhammed. Sometimes the same person says it post dates Muhammed. Ironically for that type of polemicist the Qur’an either predates Muhammed or post dates him, nothing in between. This person has a Phd. But his Phd is about a Christian preacher and his life, not Quranic studies or anything related whatsoever. Unfortunately, most who speak of Quran criticism learn from this type of unscholarly polemicists.

What most don’t understand in this subject is the difference between a textual variant and a rendition variant. Fahum or rendition means a word like Kiss written with a vowel. If you write it without a vowel, it would be Kss. But if you put it in a sentence, you will probably understand what it is. If you put the wrong vowel there like “Kess” then that’s a rendition variant. If the variant is a letter like a drop of an s as in “Ks”, that’s a textual variant. I don’t know how else to explain to a non-linguistic reader. I am sure a Jewish person can understand this phenomena better than an English reader. (I cant read Hebrew BTW). I remember vividly, one person in this forum said “there is a huge difference in the “i” sound and the “u” sound in arabic. Of course I chuckled for a minute or two at a so called graduate in arabic studies from SFU making such mindboggling claims. So this is another phenomena.

There is also the subject of palimsests. Upper text, and lower text. Many know this. In this case, the biggest error people make is not understanding corrections on the same page is not a variant. E.g. Lets say there is a book of 10 pages you wrote a week ago. The book is made out of a material where you can wash away the writing. So today you take it and wash everything away. All the pages. And you write the book all over again in those 10 pages. Now what happens is, you don’t know which page is page number 1. It could have been previously the 5th page, the 10th page or something else. So lets say you wrote “Big brown dog” on the 1st page the first time. And you wrote the same “Big brown dog” after washing them, collecting the pages, and now the first page for you today, was actually the 5th page in the previous time, obviously you are writing on top of the some other sentence. So if you find a way to recover the previous texts tomorrow with a lazer viewer, you will see different texts, on top of varying texts. That’s not a variant. Many make this mistake.

Sometimes variants are erased and immediately corrected by the same writer. This is easily identifiable because you can see physically in the same row, same sentence, the writer is later erasing a word, and rewriting it correctly. It could even be sentences. That is a correction of a mistake. It could happen for various reasons. Parablepsis, homoeoteleuton, Dittography, Haplography, etc. Another common mistake is when people take a slight extra slanting of a letter or two in a correction to mean it’s another person making an addition or correction. Well, those days the Arabs used to have a thing called Hazaf (Ha with phlegm) which is a table like thing made out of dried clay. This is commonly known. And they have blemishes and small hills on this ugly table. A letter or two can have different slantings or slight differences. So one has to consider these factors in textual criticism.

So I have opened the topic. This is not easy to grasp so quickly and so shallowly. So I apologise if I made any mistake or brushed it on to the wall too concisely.

If you have any specific questions related to the topic of the OP, which is textual criticism of the Qur’an, please post it. If you deny what is said, or have a criticism of the criticism, it’s very welcome. Cheers.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Your OP caused me to wonder about a couple of things.

The most obvious one is how many of those people you mentioned in the OP had a deep knowledge of Arabic of the time of the Quran?

And the second is related to that. We know that in English words change meanings over time and that they can even flip to an opposite meaning. Has such occurred in Arabic in the past almost 1400 years? https://theculturetrip.com/europe/articles/10-english-words-that-have-completely-changed-meaning/

firedragon

Veteran Member
Your OP caused me to wonder about a couple of things.

The most obvious one is how many of those people you mentioned in the OP had a deep knowledge of Arabic of the time of the Quran?

And the second is related to that. We know that in English words change meanings over time and that they can even flip to an opposite meaning. Has such occurred in Arabic in the past almost 1400 years? https://theculturetrip.com/europe/articles/10-english-words-that-have-completely-changed-meaning/

Brubaker knows arabic. He did his Phd thesis in the topic called "Intentional corrections in the Qur'an manuscripts" and published his book based on his thesis five years later changing the title saying "early corrections". So ha has to know arabic. But when you analyse his work, his arabic is pretty poor thinking of the natural responses. Planned responses are actually fine. No one else I mentioned in the OP knows Arabic. I told you. One guys Phd thesis is on the biography of a Christian preacher who lived in India. What in the world does that have to do with the Quran, Arabic or even the Bible? This person was doing his Phd for I think about half a millennium (pun intended) and finally does some thesis just to put that Dr. thing next to his name. His name is Jay Smith. You can check out his videos all over the place. And you can check out his colleagues like Hatun Tash, and Fadi who knows arabic, and if you have any specific question, just shoot. Mind you, this group of people are the most sort after "scholars" in Quranic textual criticism in the Christian and Atheistic world of polemics. But obviously there are Christians and Atheists who go to proper scholarly sources as well. Just that many don't try to get a tad deeper and in the language of general public, Jay smith sounds nice and makes people feel good.

Yes. Words change meaning over time. Just like the word "Awful" which used to mean great as in Full of Awe, and now means the exact opposite even in Arabic meanings change. Not many but some words. More often a word changes in terms of absolute meanings. E.g. In English the word Get is a word that will change in meaning in every sentence. Get with it, go get it, get up, etc. Imagine in the future this word means one thing and one thing only. ;) That could happen.

But predominantly word meanings have stayed the same or at least very very similar.

Last edited:

firedragon

Veteran Member
What is your view of Textual Criticism and Qur'an Manuscripts by Keith E. Small?

Keith E. Small is the mentor for Brubaker. They are both pretty similar in their approach, but Small is explicit in his approach. In his paper he says very clearly that critiques like Bart Ehrman since his book in 1993 have claimed that the New Testament has gone through some intentional dogmatic changes in its text. I am not gonna elaborate completely here but whats most important is to know that his criticism of the Quranic text has a pre built foundation of "the Quran manuscript tradition can open a window of potential escape from this stalemate" which means proving that the Quran text also went through "dogmatic changes in its text" will basically provide a kind of a Tu Quoque or a Red Herring. An Escape to this stalemate.

He speaks of Ehrmans presuppositions, but he comes with much more of not only a presupposition but an intent. It's an apologetical attempt for Christianity. That's not in all honesty an academic approach, though he is an academic. Do you understand what I say there?

But his work is good. He is a good critic and is actually trying to take an academic approach to the text. Only thing is, his intent has a bias according to himself. Anyway, I am not going to insult his scholarship because he is a scholar and that should be appreciated immensely. The world has moved on now and newer liberal critical scholars have emerged. Both in Muslims and non-muslims. Some muslims take the academic route of critical analysis which are purely textual and manuscript based, and other muslims take a mixed approach. Small's fundamental position is that the New Testament never had a control or standardisation, while the Qur'an was by Uthman, and that is the reason the NT has so many variations while the Qur'an does not comparatively. Keith Small uses ahadith for this, but he dumps ahadith when it comes to variations and it's traditions a lot. I mean, a lot a lot a lot. With out that he makes suggestions. All scholars make suggestions. For example, lets say a name is different in pronunciation to the Bible, like Moses. He "suggests" the pronunciation in the Qur'an has been intentionally changed to make it a "distinctly Islamic pronunciation". Which means he presupposes an agenda prior to doing his criticism. Also he words it "it has been suggested" as if it's mainstream scholarship. Generally when you read a biblical scholarly book by almost anyone you see that kind of writing saying "it has been suggested" which typically implies that "there is a scholarly consensus or a lot of scholars say this", but Dr. Small uses that phrase arbitrarily just to make it sound widely held. It is not. Then he should apply that to the New Testament and say that different pronunciations of names were made purely to make it "Christianised" which means the authors had an agenda. E.g. In the NT Moses is pronounced Mwusees, while in the Tanakh it's Moshe (correct me if I am wrong).

With his idea that the Qur'an gives an escape from the NT scholarship stalemate, and his "dogmatic intentional corrections" presupposition, he has not provided a single so called "correction" that has changed the theology in any manner. This textual criticism subject of the Qur'an has nothing to do with the Bible, but Small brings this up, so I will take an example from the NT. The Comma Johanneum is the only place in the NT that mentions the trinity vehemently. Vividly and unambiguously. The KJV records it. 1st epistle of John, chapter 5, verse 7. Well, everyone knows it was a textual variant that was found only in manuscripts about a 1000 years after Jesus, never in any of the early manuscripts. Not in sinaiticus, alexandrinus, vatinus, zilch. The trinity is the core doctrine of the Christian theology. So taking that this approach to show dogmatic intentional corrections, and acting as an apologist he should show such a significant variant with such a significant and valued piece of text.

No. I am not gonna get into the doctrinal discussion, but I think you should understand this particular point.

In "Intentional Variants" do you know what kind of variants he shows? A word was changed from fruit to dates. A variant in a diacritical marking. Which means its a "dot" in a much later manuscript because in the early Hijazi scripts these diacritical markings were very very very scarce. So this variant is a rendition variant. Fahum, not a textual variant which should be a variant without the nokth. That was an example. It's not that he claims its a big deal, but these are the things he presents. The only "kind of valid" variant he speaks for dogma is a variant that turns parents into "family" which the Shii's use to mean "family of the prophet" because their theology rests a lot on the prophets bloodline revering Ali, his son's and so on. That too is a diacritical mark.

Small clearly claims that the steadiness in the text of the Qur'an through time including the reading, canonical variants, markings etc etc are all attributed to control and "establishment". It is obvious that he is appealing to the usual apologetical polemic of Christian camp in opposition to the Qur'an in order to "escape" the so called stalemate as Keith Small himself speaks of. Yet, the benefit of critical analysis like this is that scholarship emerges. Today the non-muslim scholarship of the Qur'an is a whole new field and it's fantastic. In my opinion, the best thing that could happen to any text is the non-religious analysis of text in a scholarly manner.

Peace.

firedragon

Veteran Member
@danieldemol Hi. You spoke of a Quran expert in our forum. I would like to see if he has any critique of this topic. This one is of course very concise and simplistic maybe. Maybe he has some insights that I would like to learn of.

Thanks.