• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quran and the People of the Book

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Quran addresses the People of the Book as follows:

4:48
یٰۤاَیُّہَا الَّذِیۡنَ اُوۡتُوا الۡکِتٰبَ اٰمِنُوۡا بِمَا نَزَّلۡنَا مُصَدِّقًا لِّمَا مَعَکُمۡ مِّنۡ قَبۡلِ اَنۡ نَّطۡمِسَ وُجُوۡہًا فَنَرُدَّہَا عَلٰۤی اَدۡبَارِہَاۤ اَوۡ نَلۡعَنَہُمۡ کَمَا لَعَنَّاۤ اَصۡحٰبَ السَّبۡتِ ؕ وَکَانَ اَمۡرُ اللّٰہِ مَفۡعُوۡلًا ﴿۴۸
O ye People of the Book! believe in what We have sent down, fulfilling that which is with you, before We destroy some of the leaders and turn them on their backs or curse them as We cursed the People of the Sabbath. And the decree of Allah is bound to be carried out.

Original Arabic narration/text from Muhammad's time together with its English translation rendered by Maulawi Sher Ali, is given above ^.

Right?

Regards

stevecanuck

یٰۤاَیُّہَا الَّذِیۡنَ اُوۡتُوا الۡکِتٰبَ اٰمِنُوۡا بِمَا نَزَّلۡنَا مُصَدِّقًا لِّمَا مَعَکُمۡ مِّنۡ قَبۡلِ اَنۡ نَّطۡمِسَ وُجُوۡہًا فَنَرُدَّہَا عَلٰۤی اَدۡبَارِہَاۤ اَوۡ نَلۡعَنَہُمۡ کَمَا لَعَنَّاۤ اَصۡحٰبَ السَّبۡتِ ؕ وَکَانَ اَمۡرُ اللّٰہِ مَفۡعُوۡلًا ﴿۴۸
O ye People of the Book! believe in what We have sent down, fulfilling that which is with you, before We destroy some of the leaders and turn them on their backs or curse them as We cursed the People of the Sabbath. And the decree of Allah is bound to be carried out.

Original Arabic narration/text from Muhammad's time together with its English translation rendered by Maulawi Sher Ali, is given above ^.

Right?

Regards

Yes, not only in this verse, but in many others the Qur'an commands Jews and Christians too follow the Qur'an in addition to the bible. It's not a secret, and there's nothing really to debate.

stevecanuck

Did the Judaism people and the Pauline-Christendom people accept it , please, right?

Regards

No, they exercised their right to worship as they pleased - a right that Islam doesn't recognise, as evidenced by the repeated commands to adopt Islam that I spoke of earlier and the eventual command to Muslims to fight them (9:29).

danieldemol

Premium Member
Let's put it on the other foot;
"O ye People of the Quran! believe in what We have sent down, fulfilling that which is with you, before We destroy some of your leaders and turn them on their backs or curse them as We cursed the People of the Sabbath. And the decree of Allah is bound to be carried out."

How do we know the modified verse is not from Allah given some Muslim leaders are evidently cursed (ie meet with bad ends)?

The same goes for the original verse, in my view if all commit a sin that is allegedly worthy of being cursed then it logically follows that all should meet with a bad end not only "some".

That only "some" meet with a bad end suggests to me that it was only a matter of chance and Allah had nothing to do with it, however there are other options such as;
A) Allah is unjust punishing some but not others for the same crimes
B) Allah is just but impotent to bring all to account for their sins.

So which of the three options is it, or can you think of a fourth or more option/(s)?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Quran and the People of the Book :

3:200
وَاِنَّ مِنۡ اَہۡلِ الۡکِتٰبِ لَمَنۡ یُّؤۡمِنُ بِاللّٰہِ وَمَاۤ اُنۡزِلَ اِلَیۡکُمۡ وَمَاۤ اُنۡزِلَ اِلَیۡہِمۡ خٰشِعِیۡنَ لِلّٰہِ ۙ لَا یَشۡتَرُوۡنَ بِاٰیٰتِ اللّٰہِ ثَمَنًا قَلِیۡلًا ؕ اُولٰٓئِکَ لَہُمۡ اَجۡرُہُمۡ عِنۡدَ رَبِّہِمۡ ؕ اِنَّ اللّٰہَ سَرِیۡعُ الۡحِسَابِ ﴿۲۰۰
And surely among the People of the Book there are some who believe in Allah and in what has been sent down to you and in what was sent down to them, humbling themselves before Allah. They barter not the Signs of Allah for a paltry price. It is these who shall have their reward with their Lord. Surely, Allah is swift to take account.

Right?

Regards

ChatwithGod

ChatwithGod.ai
This verse from the Qur'an, Surah An-Nisa (4:47), calls upon the People of the Book—typically understood to mean Jews and Christians—to believe in the revelations that confirm their own scriptures. It emphasizes the urgency of accepting the truth before facing divine consequences.

stevecanuck

This verse from the Qur'an, Surah An-Nisa (4:47), calls upon the People of the Book—typically understood to mean Jews and Christians—to believe in the revelations that confirm their own scriptures. It emphasizes the urgency of accepting the truth before facing divine consequences.

Correct. The message is crystal clear - adopt Islam or face the consequences - both on earth and in the afterlife. This is stated dozens and dozens of times.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Right?

Regards
I take it that the sentence I highlighted refers to the Jews? Seems the antisemitism has been there from the beginning.

GoodAttention

I take it that the sentence I highlighted refers to the Jews? Seems the antisemitism has been there from the beginning.

It is written in past tense, and God knows the Jewish people haven't had it easy since, at the very least, the destruction of their temple.

Today we see the same words painted on the Houthi flag, so it is hard to defend how Muslims want to interpret such verses.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
It is written in past tense, and God knows the Jewish people haven't had it easy since, at the very least, the destruction of their temple.
Thank you. :) People tried to exterminate the Jews long before the Romans. Whether it was Pharaoh killing off all male newborns, or the Assyrians decimating the Kingdom of Israel in the north, or the Babylonians and Greeks shooting for cultural genocide, we have dealt with this threat for our entire history.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Right?

Regards
The consistent hostility shown in the Qur'an against other faith traditions is one sure sign, for me, of it being a human creation only.

Muffled

Jesus in me

Right?

Regards
I believe all that was sent down that is actualy necessary is in the Bible and we do believe that.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Yes, not only in this verse, but in many others the Qur'an commands Jews and Christians too follow the Qur'an in addition to the bible. It's not a secret, and there's nothing really to debate.
I believe it isn't necessary to believe what is in the Qu'ran but a person should be able to recognize the word of God. The problem for both Muslims and Christians are the apparent contradictions.