• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Racism or Eduction - Teaching Using Mock Slave Auctions

jbg

This article, Mount Vernon schools dismiss 'mock slave auction' teacher, seek 'breach' in hiring process (link), about the firing of a teacher for holding a mock "slave auction", and about her hiring in a nearby school, New Job for NY 5th-Grade Teacher Fired Over Mock Slave Auction Sparks Protest (link), focuses on the use of demonstrative history techniques. It seems that the uproar cost her her new job as well as that of the official hiring her. She now tutors.

This raises the question; why does society have to walk on eggshells? Nothing she was teaching wasn't true.

exchemist

Veteran Member
This article, Mount Vernon schools dismiss 'mock slave auction' teacher, seek 'breach' in hiring process (link), about the firing of a teacher for holding a mock "slave auction", and about her hiring in a nearby school, New Job for NY 5th-Grade Teacher Fired Over Mock Slave Auction Sparks Protest (link), focuses on the use of demonstrative history techniques. It seems that the uproar cost her her new job as well as that of the official hiring her. She now tutors.

This raises the question; why does society have to walk on eggshells? Nothing she was teaching wasn't true.
Indeed. Do we need "safe spaces" for "snowflake" white supremacists now? :D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I don't know if mock slave auctions are useful in
teaching students anything. But generally....
Something can be true, yet inappropriate to teach.
Let's do a thought experiment.
Bob, a teacher, has done much cromulent research
into crimes committed by Jews in pre-WW2 Germany.
He teaches all these "true" facts to students in the
context of Hitler's proffered reasons for their persecution.
What is the net effect of teaching these true things?

Sometimes what's true is at odds with what's reasonable.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Why would mock slave auctions be necessary for education?
I'm thinking it's immersion/insight learning.

That would only work if roles were reversed where each student, regardless of skin color, gets the role as slave and slaver interchangeably.

I dunno if that is what she did.

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Asking children to re-enact such controversial scenarios from history is hardly an ideal method of teaching. If anything, it is a lazy method of teaching that relies on poor play-acting, the trivialization of actual historic events, and often a resulting misunderstanding of these events.

How much do you think children learn about historic slavery, while giggling over placing a dollar amount on the heads of some of their classmates, whom they have been given the authority to humiliate? Granted, there may be some children in the classroom who grasp the teacher's intentions, but I'm willing to bet that the majority of children in any typical, public school classroom are more likely going to exhibit the immaturity that is generally found in their age group.

Here's another example of the pitfalls of play-acting controversial subjects in the classroom: There are teachers who have thought it was clever to teach children about the Holocaust by giving half the class the assignment of presenting arguments on behalf of the Nazi side, stating Hitler's "good intentions." (The most infamous of these assignments took place in a high school in upstate New York and was the subject of author Liza Wiemer's book The Assignment). Almost universally, these school assignments have backfired due to a number of students sincerely and enthusiastically preaching to their fellow students that Jews deserved to die in the Holocaust. I don't know whether such outcomes may have been the intention of some of these teachers but, even if their intentions were innocent, the results were appalling to say the least.

I don't agree that all such teachers should automatically be fired on account of misguided intentions. However, I do believe that some naive teachers need to be taught, themselves, the difference between destructive and instructive teaching methods.

Twilight Hue

Asking children to re-enact such controversial scenarios from history is hardly an ideal method of teaching. If anything, it is a lazy method of teaching that relies on poor play-acting, the trivialization of actual historic events, and often a resulting misunderstanding of these events.

How much do you think children learn about historic slavery, while giggling over placing a dollar amount on the heads of some of their classmates, whom they have been given the authority to humiliate? Granted, there may be some children in the classroom who grasp the teacher's intentions, but I'm willing to bet that the majority of children in any typical, public school classroom are more likely going to exhibit the immaturity that is generally found in their age group.

Here's another example of the pitfalls of play-acting controversial subjects in the classroom: There are teachers who have thought it was clever to teach children about the Holocaust by giving half the class the assignment of presenting arguments on behalf of the Nazi side, stating Hitler's "good intentions." (The most infamous of these assignments took place in a high school in upstate New York and was the subject of author Liza Wiemer's book The Assignment). Almost universally, these school assignments have backfired due to a number of students sincerely and enthusiastically preaching to their fellow students that Jews deserved to die in the Holocaust. I don't know whether such outcomes may have been the intention of some of these teachers but, even if their intentions were innocent, the results were appalling to say the least.

I don't agree that all such teachers should automatically be fired on account of misguided intentions. However, I do believe that some naive teachers need to be taught, themselves, the difference between destructive and instructive teaching methods.

I don't think insight learning is all bad.

A slave auction might be a bit tacky I'll admit. Better to just teach about the underground railroad traditionally to escape the slave trade.

I still remember when my class dressed up as pilgrims and Indians for a week and reenacted many activities of the day including making soap, cornbread, and hard tac.

exchemist

Veteran Member

On the whole I tend to agree, actually. I think children learn more by reading or taking notes in class, and then writing to internalise what they have read or heard, than by the time-consuming play-acting of clunky scenarios.

I am also not, on the whole, in favour of moralising much about history. Imposing today's values on the past is inherently an ahistorical exercise, it seems to me.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I think we are at the stage that much of the mainstream is afraid to challenge 'excessive woke' demands for fear of being called the 'R' word themselves.

Even I sometimes won't bother responding to a topic on this forum because I don't need the emotional aggravation.

pearl

Actually my school did that when it first came out.

Its experimental. Was it at all successful? I remember in preparing a religion class to become familiar with the Exodus and the liberation of the Jews, the class ended with a party, snacks and drinks, kid friendly. But there was a catch, only those with light skin and hair could partake. Nothing further was said and the class ended.

jbg

I don't know if mock slave auctions are useful in
teaching students anything. But generally....
Something can be true, yet inappropriate to teach.
Let's do a thought experiment.
Bob, a teacher, has done much cromulent research
into crimes committed by Jews in pre-WW2 Germany.
He teaches all these "true" facts to students in the
context of Hitler's proffered reasons for their persecution.
What is the net effect of teaching these true things?

Sometimes what's true is at odds with what's reasonable.
A problem with teaching is that lectures can be quite boring, especially at that age level.

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Its experimental. Was it at all successful? I remember in preparing a religion class to become familiar with the Exodus and the liberation of the Jews, the class ended with a party, snacks and drinks, kid friendly. But there was a catch, only those with light skin and hair could partake. Nothing further was said and the class ended.

Why was that? Besides the disappointment of the darker skinned children being essentially banned from a classroom party, did the teacher think that skin color separated the Egyptians from the Hebrews (both of whom were Semites)?

Edited correction: I may have misspoke where I wrote that the Egyptians were Semites? I do think, though, that many of them came from the same Middle Eastern stock as the Hebrews.

I still remember when my class dressed up as pilgrims and Indians for a week and reenacted many activities of the day including making soap, cornbread, and hard tac.

Learning how to make soap, cornbread, and hard tac sounds cool and plenty of fun all on its own. I don't know why the teacher felt it necessary to have children dress up as pilgrims and Indians to do that, though. That part just sounds silly.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Why was that? Besides the disappointment of the darker skinned children being essentially banned from a classroom party, did your teacher think that skin color separated the Egyptians from the Hebrews (both of whom were Semites)?

Learning how to make soap, cornbread, and hard tac sounds cool and plenty of fun all on its own. I don't know why the teacher felt it necessary to have children dress up as pilgrims and Indians to do that, though. That part just sounds silly.
Same reason people reenact history including costumes. It provides an insight and perspective that one cannot get elsewhere.

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Same reason people reenact history including costumes. It provides an insight and perspective that one cannot get elsewhere.

Cosplay in the classroom. :) No doubt a fun distraction, but I question the kind of "insight and perspective" it provides. I do believe that lessons should be fun, but I don't think that the entertainment factor should be the main focus of the lesson.

Regardless, dressing up in order to share soap-making recipes wasn't the sort of controversial role-playing (such as conducting mock slave auctions) that this topic was about, I think.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Cosplay in the classroom. :) No doubt a fun distraction, but I question the kind of "insight and perspective" it provides. I do believe that lessons should be fun, but I don't think that the entertainment factor should be the main focus of the lesson.
True. But fun does play a role in helping out a students interest and attention to a particular subject.