• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Random Questions.

GabrielWithoutWings

Since I never get to pick the brain of a Zoroastrian, I believe I'll do so now that we have an active one. :D

Ahura Mazda has various immortals under his stead. I've seen a few (granted, mostly neo-pagan) folks state that these immortals might function as 'masks' or 'personas' that equate to the pagan gods of other cultures. What is your opinion on this?

As a Zoroastrian, do you have an eternal fire lit to honor Mazda or is this a specifically Parsi practice only?

Do you prefer the Greek 'Zoroaster' or 'Zarathushtra'? Any reason why?

Do you believe in eternal Hell? If not, do you also believe that Angra Mainyu and all other intelligent beings will be reconciled to Mazda at the end of time (apocatastasis)?

What is your opinion on sacred images, icons, statues, etc. as a divine focus?

When you die, will you be put on the towers or buried / cremated like most others?

El_Majusi

Hello Gabriel!

"Ahura Mazda has various immortals under his stead. I've seen a few (granted, mostly neo-pagan) folks state that these immortals might function as 'masks' or 'personas' that equate to the pagan gods of other cultures. What is your opinion on this?"

Yes, I don't think it's wise to speculate that much over other people's religion. They are a few things I could talk about yet:
There is (and will always be) Ahura Mazda. He is accompanied by Six Amesha Spenta, Bountiful Spirits. Asha, Armaiti, Ameretat, Haurvatat, Vohu Mana and Khashathra.
Those are the closest (to Ahura Mazda) spirits ever. They are slightly separated from Ahura Mazda, but they do not "think" on their own, they are rather "attributes". But they communicate. In fact it's very hard to explain. They do not equate Pagan Gods, in fact they are aspects of God.

What equates, indeed, Pagan Gods, is the Yazatas. The Amesha Spenta are Yazatas, and so is Ahura Mazda. But there are many gods, like Mithra, which are respected and worshipped. Yazat means "worthy of worship". But they have no special temple. Many modern Zoroastrians "forget" to worship them. They are not truly separated from Ahura Mazda, though. In true polytheism the gods are separated superior elements. It doesn't work that way.

As a Zoroastrian, do you have an eternal fire lit to honor Mazda or is this a specifically Parsi practice only?

To have something is not a practice! Wherever they are, Eternal Fires are homages done unto Ahura Mazda, and Its Truth. I hope they will never stop burning, and a few more in Europe wouldn't be too much!

Do you prefer the Greek 'Zoroaster' or 'Zarathushtra'? Any reason why?

The Greeks had difficulty to pronounce "sh" and "tra". Why would we keep a wrong pronunciation?

Do you believe in eternal Hell? If not, do you also believe that Angra Mainyu and all other intelligent beings will be reconciled to Mazda at the end of time (apocatastasis)?

The doctrine of eternal Hell is rejected by the Holy Word itself. Zarathushtra says:
30:11 "So understand, O mortal men, the Decrees
Which Mazda has established regarding happiness and misery.
There will be a long period of suffering for the wicked,
and salvation for the just,
but thereafter
eternal bliss shall prevail everywhere
."

This doctrine is rejected twice in this verse. Why would have he said "long period", while meaning "eternal period"? And "thereafter eternal bliss shall prevail everywhere", referring to the rewards and punishment, evokes the fact that no one will stay in suffering for ever. There is only one exception to that fact, Gathawise. It is the Yasna 46, verse 11:
The Karapans and the Kavis through their domination and evil deeds,
have yoked mankind to the destruction of life.
Their own souls and evil consciences
will torment them when they reach
the Bridge of Judgement.
They will remain in the House of the Lie for ever."

One has to interpret freely: do this punishment exist only for the Karapans and the Kavis, or for every evil religious and political leader?

If not, do you also believe that Angra Mainyu and all other intelligent beings will be reconciled to Mazda at the end of time (apocatastasis)?

Of course. At the End of Times everything will be good, and even Angra Mainyu will stop being Angra and will join Spenta Mainyu and Ahura Mazda.

What is your opinion on sacred images, icons, statues, etc. as a divine focus?

There is no such thing as a "sacred image". All images are sacred, or, if you prefer, none is. I don't see the point in focussing on icons statues etc, when they are waters, soils, the Sun, the Moon, the Amesha Spenta, the mountains, Nature, towards which we can pray.

When you die, will you be put on the towers or buried / cremated like most others?

Good question. I'm European and I live in Europe, but if you could give me the choice I'd prefer the ancient way. To be buried is a bit better than cremated. To be cremated is a sacrilege against Ahura Mazda's own Son: Fire. A corpse is something improper, it is Ahriman's. It should not be mixed with Pure Elements.

Do you have another questions, reflections, etc? Please, tell me dear GabrielWithout Wings (or anyone else!).

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Do Fravashis (that doesn't seem like proper pluralization, but I don't know Avestan) send out just one urvan at a time? Multiples? Could two people living simultaneously "share" a Fravashi?