• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Real or not?

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
There are those that claim they can see and talk to spirits but could they be just hallucinations?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
There are those that claim they can see and talk to spirits but could they be just hallucinations?
Hallucinations are sensory experiences that appear real but are created by your mind. They can affect all five of your senses. For example, you might hear a voice that no one else can hear or see an image that isn't real.

I think the actual question is whether they are ever anything other than hallucinations and how would you know?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Hallucinations are sensory experiences that appear real but are created by your mind. They can affect all five of your senses. For example, you might hear a voice that no one else can hear or see an image that isn't real.

I think the actual question is whether they are ever anything other than hallucinations and how would you know?

Now, not your mind. Objective physical reality does that. We call it a brain. Not the mind. That is dualism and what not.

Jimmy

King Phenomenon

You don’t believe in spirits? Lol

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Well, either they are real or they are hallucinations

Those are the only options

Hallucinations are real. They are as real as anything we experience. The only question is whether the source is internal or external.

Most folks think they can tell, the source, whether internal or external. Usually they can if they are conscious of the process. The problem is that people aren't always conscious of the process.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
TRUE STORY TIME! OK, so I had accidental carbon monoxide poisoning, and wow, the pile of laundry on the floor just looked SO inviting (I should have known then there was something messed up in my brain). I laid down and fell asleep and that is when I should have died, but NOOOOOOOOO. I believe it was my guardian angel who woke me up with this terrible voice, saying urgently, 'WAKE UP, WAKE UP." I didn't want to, believe me, but the voice was incessant, and eventually I did wake up and sit up. Immediately my head was about to split wide open, I felt like, and I knew I had been poisoned some sort of way. I crawled over to the sofa, where my (ex) husband was sleeping, and as soon as I was able to rouse him, he grabbed his head too and said "OMG, my head is KILLING ME." Anyway, that's the shorter version of the story, but it did go on from there, and eventually we ended up in the hospital and in a hyperbaric chamber for days and days.

So sorry, but I do really believe that was my guardian angel urging me to wake up. There is no other explanation for it that I can think of. I told my team of doctors and they agreed with me but who knows. Anyway, there was one other time I felt his or her presence, and that was a few weeks after my husband died, I had also fallen and absolutely shattered my right (dominant) elbow. So I was pretty down. My granddaughter was sleeping next to me because I needed help (I had just gotten home from surgery and five days in the hospital - apparently it was a big, big deal and I now have a new titanium elbow that I have to declare every time I am in an airport!). Anyway, so I woke up really early after having a great dream about my late husband, and I felt this beautiful being come around me and hug me. It was so real that I woke up my granddaughter and said "Did you come around to my side of the bed and hug me?" even though I knew she would tell me that she hadn't. I felt these huge wings envelope me. I believe to this day that was my guardian angel again. So I'd say I felt him or her twice in my lifetime. I've kept him/her pretty busy!

Oh one other time. I was changing my baby's diaper and looking out of the window at the beautiful morning, but I had had an awful night because I kept thinking I had committed an unpardonable sin, which was ridiculous. Anyway, it was tormenting me, needlessly, and suddenly a peace totally enveloped me and a voice said, clear as a bell, "God knows your heart." And I have never worried since.

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
Hallucinations are real. They are as real as anything we experience. The only question is whether the source is internal or external.

Most folks think they can tell, the source, whether internal or external. Usually they can if they are conscious of the process. The problem is that people aren't always conscious of the process.
Internal would be fake, external would be real

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Sure.

Does it matter to a practitioner once they've reached a certain level of development and maturity in their practice?

No.

You just follow the currents of inspiration where they take you. Something being "real" according to someone's arbitrary criteria is not what is important. Part of why I just do not understand how narrowly most in my culture define "real" is that so-called "not real" things have such a profound impact on our lies I just... why call it not real to begin with? That's just weird to me. The stories we tell are real and very impactful.

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
The cup on my table is real. The plate that I just hallucinated on my table is not real. I rest my case.