• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Red brain vs blue brain

We Never Know

No Slack
Interesting. This might be a fun tooic

Red Brain, Blue Brain: Evaluative Processes Differ in Democrats and Republicans

"Republicans more strongly activate their right amygdala, associated with orienting attention to external cues. Democrats have higher activity in their left posterior insula, associated with perceptions of internal physiological states."

Conservative and Liberal Brains Might Have Some Real Differences

"The volume of gray matter, or neural cell bodies, making up the anterior cingulate cortex, an area that helps detect errors and resolve conflicts, tends to be larger in liberals. And the amygdala, which is important for regulating emotions and evaluating threats, is larger in conservatives."

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
So, as I've asked many times in response to such findings, what about us who started out one side but went to the other? What about moderates? What about those who aren't accurately described as either?
Why all the attention and focus on pop politic identities that don't even make up a majority of Americans?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!

"Republicans more strongly activate their right amygdala, associated with orienting attention to external cues. Democrats have higher activity in their left posterior insula, associated with perceptions of internal physiological states."

"The volume of gray matter, or neural cell bodies, making up the anterior cingulate cortex, an area that helps detect errors and resolve conflicts, tends to be larger in liberals. And the amygdala, which is important for regulating emotions and evaluating threats, is larger in conservatives."

I've seen mention of this before, and as to why we might tend to differ as to where our views will likely form, and being more a facet of our nature - as per this from the second article:

On the whole, the research shows, conservatives desire security, predictability and authority more than liberals do, and liberals are more comfortable with novelty, nuance and complexity.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So, as I've asked many times in response to such findings, what about us who started out one side but went to the other? What about moderates? What about those who aren't accurately described as either?
Why all the attention and focus on pop politic identities that don't even make up a majority of Americans?
Amygdala activity is hard-wired into the neural network. Some are just born more sensitive to threat than others. Republicans, in general, see the world as a more threatening place, and find comfort in the familiar.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
So, as I've asked many times in response to such findings, what about us who started out one side but went to the other?
The human brain is quite changeable. It is possible that over time we would see real neurological changes if a persons thinking changes.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Which flavor of brain would be tastiest during a zombie apocalypse?

Shadow Wolf

The human brain is quite changeable. It is possible that over time we would see real neurological changes if a persons thinking changes.
Neuroplasticity isn't like Playdo. I've not seen any studies looking at those who swith sides, and I've not seen anything about moderates (who are actually the majority in America). I've also not seen anything beyond these two pop politic identities.

Shadow Wolf

Amygdala activity is hard-wired into the neural network. Some are just born more sensitive to threat than others. Republicans, in general, see the world as a more threatening place, and find comfort in the familiar.
That doesn't address what I pointed, nor does it reflect what the study showed (its cons amd libs, not Dems and Reps).
What about those who switched sides? What does our brains look like? Why does research never seem to address this?

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
Does brain formation determine voting behaviours or does one's political environment influence the formation of one's brain?

What's the cause and effect here?

Laniakea

Not of this world
A person's thinking is influenced by their environment, which includes education. If they are taught to think a certain way during their younger years, the part of the brain that benefits from that type of thinking is what will grow the most.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
A person's thinking is influenced by their environment, which includes education. If they are taught to think a certain way during their younger years, the part of the brain that benefits from that type of thinking is what will grow the most.
That reminds me of the old Cherokee story. The Wolf You Feed — Aïda Muluneh

One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people.

He said, "My son, the battle is between two "wolves" inside us all.

One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.

The other is good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: "Which wolf wins?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

Perhaps the Cherokee were talking about neuroplasticity.

But tell me @Laniakea, are you feeding the wolf of kindness?

PureX

Veteran Member
It makes for profitable 'clickbait'? That would be my guess.

Laniakea

Not of this world
That reminds me of the old Cherokee story. The Wolf You Feed — Aïda Muluneh

One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people.

He said, "My son, the battle is between two "wolves" inside us all.

One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.

The other is good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: "Which wolf wins?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

Perhaps the Cherokee were talking about neuroplasticity.

But tell me @Laniakea, are you feeding the wolf of kindness?
I didn't know this was a personal thread about me and kindness. "Red vs. Blue" usually relates to political bent.