• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Regional Heathenries (Norse, Anglo-Saxon etc)

vaguelyhumanoid

Heathen practices and beliefs varied from one region to another. The most famous regional tradition is the Icelandic one, since Iceland is the origin of most literary sources. However, there are other regional traditions such as Anglo-Saxon heathenry, German/Teutonic heathenry etc. I'm pretty interested in these local differences. From what I've read, it seems that Loki and Skadi are specifically Norse deities ("Skadi" might be the origin of "Scandinavia"). The creation story and some of the dichotomies in the myths (Æsir/Vanir, fire/ice) are only attested in Norse sources.

Meanwhile the Anglo-Saxon tradition has the goddess Eostre, a tree with seven worlds and "Modraniht" instead of "Disablót". The Germans had the goddess Holda/Frau Holle, who may or may not have been cognate with Hel. They also had a goddess Nerthus, and depending how far back you go, Tyr (Tiw, Tiwaz) was the chief god and not Woden. Some even think that in the early era of Germanic polytheism, Freyja and Frigg were not differentiated. I view them as very different tho myself. There is also the god Saxnot who (iirc) is attested among Saxons in both England and Saxony.

Anybody have any thoughts or info on this topic? What tradition do you draw from the most? Do you focus on one specific region or is your practice more of a Germanic grab bag? Personally, I go for Norse religion but I'm also very interested in Anglo-Saxon language and culture.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I'm primarily inspired by Anglo-Saxon traditions, though I also allow for lots of overlap with other elements that have their origins in Welsh and Cornish Lore, as well as post-Norman Lore. So, you'll find me encorporating stories of King Arthur and Robin Hood along side stories of Woden and Frey.

I, personally, don't differentiate between the Norse Frigga and Freyja. For me, they're the same Goddess whom I've named in English, Frowafree. She's still the wife/lover of Woden and sister/lover of Fréa Inguina, but I've also sort of reinstated Tiw as the Sky Allfather, with his wife (for whom I can't settle on an English name yet) being the analogue to the Norse Frigg. There is, of course, a HUGE implication with Tiw being that figure, that being He's Þunor's father, not Woden. Then again... Gods, so maybe both Tiw and Woden impregnated Earth in a Divine Threesome, making them both Þunor's fathers?

My conception is still very much "under construction". LOL Due to the SEVERE lack of information about what the Anglo-Saxons' pre-Christian traditions and stories were, I rely heavily on UPG. But I'm more drawn to this form of Heathenry because it's more familiar to my own Northern California culture.

Sees

Dragonslayer
I do the Germanic grab bag ( :D ) with focus on continental Germanic traditions. It's going to be a unique 21st century thing either way - so you kind of go with your gut, personal ancestry, preference, etc. Most have the inevitable huge chunk of Icelandic/Norse tradition.