• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Regional variation in Unitarian/UU congregations

We all know that there is much variation between different Unitarian/UU congregations, except perhaps in places like Romania and Hungary, where they have a set liturgy. But is it possible to point to any more general regional patterns?

For example, are certain types of congregations more common in different parts of the United States than others?

In the British Isles, I've noticed that congregations in Northern England, Wales and Ireland tend to be more Christian-orientated, whilst congregations in Southern England and Scotland tend to be less Christian-orientated. Those which are less Christian-orientated may tend to be more broadly Humanist, but often involve other practices earth-centred spirituality (especially in Glasgow, where Easter was ignored this year). There are of course many exceptions to this though.

Do similar regional trends exist elsewhere?

BrandonE

King of Parentheses
I only have experience with my congregation and visits to two more to draw from, and that's really not much to go on. I'm not even sure how I'd classify our congregation. The order of service mostly follows a protestant model, but most folks are careful not to imply any specific god. In fact, this past Sunday, during the story for all ages, our music director told the kids "So remember, god is love (if you believe in god) and we've all got to love one another." It made me smile.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I'm not sure that there is a regional trend, but UU congregations do vary from congregation to congregation. That would be interesting to study, however.