• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious education?

Kerr

Hi all.

Should kids have mandatory religious education as part of the basic education (like math)? Should a kid who plant to be, say, a computer technician have to study religion? And I am thinking of religious education in the secular manner, i.e. teach about religion and not about which one is correct, and I am not talking about higher studies.

Personally I think that even if its not part of someones career, its still good because it combats ignorance and racism. Besides, you never know what happens in the future. If you end up with a hindu or buddhist boss it might be good to know a little about it and not just whatever prejudice you have picked up from random people.

Take care,
Kerr.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Hi all.

Should kids have mandatory religious education as part of the basic education (like math)? Should a kid who plant to be, say, a computer technician have to study religion? And I am thinking of religious education in the secular manner, i.e. teach about religion and not about which one is correct, and I am not talking about higher studies.
No. There are far more important subjects a child should be spending time on.

Edited to note: While in public school sixth grade we were all allowed to leave school grounds for an hour each Friday for religious education in either a nearby protestant (Methodist in this case) or Catholic church.

Last edited:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it would be a huge benifit to society as a whole to start educating our kids about the different cultures that make up our world.

Most of us live in multi-cultural societies to begin with, and with boundries being defined (or obliterated) by the internet and the global economy now I think an understanding of different cultures, including religion, is vital just for the sake of being able to communicate and interact with each other.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
No, it wouldn't work. It would only add to the confusion and take away from more important subjects.
Leave that for the home., people can choose Saturday/sunday school studies etc.,

Church and state should not be combined.

Gui10

I believe religion should not be taught in school, at all.

Edit: ok maybe some kind of history of religions

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't think it hurts to have a SS class regarding the impact religion has on people and society in general. However specifics on any particular religion has no place in a public school system.

Kerr

No, it wouldn't work. It would only add to the confusion and take away from more important subjects.
Leave that for the home., people can choose Saturday/sunday school studies etc.,
How would it confuse anyone? And I would argue that it is important because it helps you understand other people and cultures.

Church and state should not be combined.
Not what I am talking about. As I mentioned, it should be done in a secular manner. Kind of like teaching about it but staying neutral as a way to make sure people know of other beliefs then their own. But not telling which is correct. And not focusing on one religion, more like going over them and so on.

Kerr

I don't think it hurts to have a SS class regarding the impact religion has on people and society in general. However specifics on any particular religion has no place in a public school system.
What is an SS class?

EDIT:

I think it would be a huge benifit to society as a whole to start educating our kids about the different cultures that make up our world.

Most of us live in multi-cultural societies to begin with, and with boundries being defined (or obliterated) by the internet and the global economy now I think an understanding of different cultures, including religion, is vital just for the sake of being able to communicate and interact with each other.
This is basically what I am talking about. Not teaching religion to make people religious or tell them what to believe, but to help people understand other cultures and perspectives then their own.

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
As a minor...as with me...
Children do not choose their schooling.

Allowing society to ban religious schools...inappropriate.

The practice will persist.

As FOR me....
I almost became a priest because of it.
Two openings at the seminary...twelve applicants.
Believe it or not....there are at least two other people holier than me.
The seminary thanked me for my interest.

Just as well.
Continued study in scripture, and solitary life style opened my eyes.

When ready I married, had kids, and got on with my life just fine.

I no longer have a religion....just faith.
And in looking back I see need to reduce the dogmatic approach.
It seems a source of contention leading to outright conflict.

But to ban the dogmatic....you have to help your fellow man find a common consensus.

Good luck.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I think it makes sense that Icelandic children study the medieval literature that came from their island, and which forms a great deal of our basic understanding of Norse religion. I think it makes sense for Israeli (and probably all children in the western world) to study the Bible in school. I think it makes sense for children in the Muslim world to study the Qur'an and Islamic history. And I think it makes sense for Indian children to study Vedic scriptures and culture.
I would consider it as important as it is for Greek children to study Homer or Italian children to study Virgil.
There are two more things I would add here. One is that I think children should seriously study about these things, but not be taught to adhere to them or to take the scriptures at face value. However, children need to know the heritage of the culture and region they live in. And another thing is that I believe that a basic world religions acquaintance is in order. I would love it if they taught me about Buddhism or the general themes of the Mahabharata in school, even if I'm not Bhutanese or Indian.
The positive in my personal experience, is that I received a very decent education of the Hebrew bible in a secular school, without being taught dogma. However, I don't feel that I received a decent teaching of world religions, or even Islam and Christianity which are both very important in the landscape of this region.

Rhynni

Hi all.

Personally I think that even if its not part of someones career, its still good because it combats ignorance and racism.

certainly an interesting idea. I grew up in a catholic school. But there were some kids who knew about other religions as well. And when it comes to defending your religion you cant unless you know at least a little about other religions. I mean i cant say the catholic way is the right way when i dont kno what another religion believes.
The difficulty though would be in confusing people. Maybe if it were like a high school course. If you teach what all religions believe it would be a whole ton of information. maybe if you compared a few?
But i think its a fantastic idea. Almost like theyd be exposed to all religions and chosing, or not, which one they thought was right. Rather than taking the religion of your parents just because thats what they are.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Not everyone wants a "religion" as a label, much less learn about other peoples religious beliefs...what's the point?? It's a bad idea.

Rhynni

Not everyone wants a "religion" as a label, much less learn about other peoples religious beliefs...what's the point?? It's a bad idea.

It wouldnt be a course that would make them chose at the end. well i would hope not. Its in order to educate people. So they won't be ignorant

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
It wouldnt be a course that would make them chose at the end. well i would hope not. Its in order to educate people. So they won't be ignorant

It would have to teach about all major religions of course, the problem is which denominations sects would they choose to use as examples of said religions? You can't possibly think an unbiased course would be the standard, I don't.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I've been an advocate of a basic world religions class being mandatory in high school since I quit being so pathetically ignorant about religion due to the lack of such coursework in high school. That it is not required for high school students to take a course on how human cultures and peoples wrestle with questions of truth, meaning, and purpose is beyond idiotic. Especially in a globalized world.

mycorrhiza

Not teaching religion to make people religious or tell them what to believe, but to help people understand other cultures and perspectives then their own.

This^

I studied to become a religion teacher up until recently, and I consider it a very important subject. I'm glad that it's taught here in Sweden.