• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Politics - The Marriage Amendment

Pah

Uber all member
The Progress-Index
Peoples Forum 09/25/2006

Letters to the editor for Sept. 24, 2006
http://www.progress-index.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17242594&BRD=2271&PAG=461&dept_id=462943&rfi=6

No law should favor one religion or religious group
To the Editor,
It is a smoke screen. Gene Ballance, Peoples Forum, Sept. 17, is right. The marriage amendment is nothing but a smoke screen for a minority group of Christians to practice hate and discrimination contrary to God's law and America's principles of equality. The hate and discrimination that went into creating the amendment is also in the laws that the amendment will protect.

It is not fear of activist judges that gives Ballance and his cohorts worry. It is the fear that one day loving people in Christ will realize that the laws must be removed in accordance with the love Christ had for and taught to His people.
Why do I care as an American? It is because my rights are being reduced. Not what you might think - I am married and straight. My freedom of religious expression is being threatened by a theology included in law and Constitution not my own and not of the majority of Christians. No theology should be present in American law. No law should favor one religion or a religious group. The Constitutional provision that protects your right to worship freely does not give you the right to deny my freedom of worship. To suppress me and others this way is to bite the hand that feeds you.

Ballance is wrong about laws not being affected. The laws currently do not include unmarried straight couples. This fact was admitted too by our charming Attorney General in a town hall meeting. The amendment will change the law and place every unmarried couple in the same circumstance. The law governing corporate benefits to domestic partners does not specify "domestic partners" The AG is right. That law will not need to be changed. He is wrong about the law governing domestic abuse. In a previous letter to the editor, I showed that an injured unmarried partner will not have legal standing to claim the law's benefits. Joint ownership and provision of a will be as it is today. It will remain open to challenge by anyone else related to the deceased. The surviving partner will not be able, under this amendment, to withstand the challenge due to lack of standing.

We have a real problem with politics "bending" the truth to suit the cause they champion.

Ballance is also wrong about any forced acceptance in personal life or in proceedings of whatever faith Ballance holds. Nobody will be forced to take a same-sex spouse. No church will be required to perform a marriage ceremony for every Adam and Steve that requests it. No church will be required to serve the bread of Christ's body to one considered to be in flagrant sin. No church must appoint a women or a man that holds the innate orientation that is wrongly considered sin. These will be adopted by those denominations that hear the new teaching and emphasis of the Holy Spirit, a teaching of the primacy of Christ's love and inclusiveness.

The decent, Christian thing to do, for Christians, is to vote No, against the amendment.

You will find I am in complete agreement with this letter - I wrote it

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
This whole gay marrige uproar was just a way for the Republican party to steal the last election. The republicans couldn't run on ANY real issue, so they created a pseudo-issue to make sure that homophobes would turn out to vote for them in record numbers. This amendment has NO buisness in the US constitution, gay marriage is at best an issue for STATE governments to decide on.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Beautiful work Bob! :clap For a minute there, until I noticed your claim du plum, I thought this piece was penned by a fellow Christian.:eek:

robtex

Veteran Member
spacemonkey said:
This whole gay marrige uproar was just a way for the Republican party to steal the last election. The republicans couldn't run on ANY real issue, so they created a pseudo-issue to make sure that homophobes would turn out to vote

wow. Equal marriage rights is not a real issue to you?

Pah

Uber all member
CaptainXeroid said:
Beautiful work Bob! :clap For a minute there, until I noticed your claim du plum, I thought this piece was penned by a fellow Christian.:eek:
I was afraid that "The decent, Christian thing to do, for Christians, is to vote No, against the amendment." would give away my real status.

Isn't it amazing how when you don't know who is saying it, the message carries it's own truth. But seriously, very few pro amendment letters do not appeal to the faithful so the "argument" must be in that court.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
I wonder. Are there any countries that do allow gay marriage? If so what were the reprocussions? Did the whole country turn gay? Did it invalidate straight marriages? Any religion or morals left in that country?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Kungfuzed said:
I wonder. Are there any countries that do allow gay marriage? If so what were the reprocussions? Did the whole country turn gay? Did it invalidate straight marriages? Any religion or morals left in that country?

Canada
Netherlands
Belgium
Spain

They all seem to be doing just fine.