• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Remember Ann Coulter? She's Gone Full on White Supremacist

gsa

I hesitate to even address the fading has been, but a recent Salon piece examines why Ann Coulter has fallen from grace in even the most right wing of circles. Last Friday, she echoed Donald Trump, accusing Mexican immigrants of hailing from "misogynistic alien cultures...that are going to end up, um, raping young American girls."

She also claimed that South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley is unqualified to deal with the Confederate flag debate, because she is an immigrant who does not understand American history. Of course, Haley was born and raised in South Carolina.

What I find disturbing about her plunge into the extremes is that she still commands a following, and not an insubstantial one. She is now using language that is virtually indistinguishable from some of the stuff you might find on neo-Confederate and neo-Nazi websites. Of course, I am not terribly surprised to discover she has come full circle; in the days following 9/11, she had this memorable policy recommendation for the Bush administration:

Airports scrupulously apply the same laughably ineffective airport harassment to Suzy Chapstick as to Muslim hijackers. It is preposterous to assume every passenger is a potential crazed homicidal maniac. We know who the homicidal maniacs are. They are the ones cheering and dancing right now.

We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity. We weren't punctilious about locating and punishing only Hitler and his top officers. We carpet-bombed German cities; we killed civilians. That's war. And this is war.

That one was too much for National Review Online, and she was promptly fired. Jonah Goldberg's defense of this decision is riddled with suggestive innuendo as well, which might indicate she has quite a bit in common with the dregs of society that congregate on Stormfront forums.

She has also taken credit for Donald Trump's "Mexican rapists" speech. Also, the Southern Poverty Law Center is America's leading hate group, in Ann's world.

Yet for all of this, she still manages to book appearances on Fox News.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's hard to take Salon seriously when they aim at non-Democrats.
What's your personal analysis on Coulter becoming a white supremacist?
(I trust your opinion more than theirs.)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Meh...she's a shock jock. Whatever their politics, they tend to go more extreme as their audience dwindles.

I think she regularly pressed to the point of uncomfortableness, which is almost a skill, if there was much substance to what she said. But ultimately she was selling a narrative, not offering any meaningful analysis. Guess her story started getting old.

Plenty of alternative storytellers around,

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Over the past decades since the 1970's, the Republican party and conservatives in general have marched to the right pandering to the worst they can find to motivate "the base". And we've seen reasoned debates replaced by insults and shouting. With Trump and Coulter, I think we're finally starting to see the limits of this trend.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Meh...she's a shock jock. Whatever their politics, they tend to go more extreme as their audience dwindles.

I think she regularly pressed to the point of uncomfortableness, which is almost a skill, if there was much substance to what she said. But ultimately she was selling a narrative, not offering any meaningful analysis. Guess her story started getting old.

Plenty of alternative storytellers around,
I see you know The Boondocks.

Caution: Rude languange.....

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity.

Coulter is still around?
I figured they buried her in the same coffin they put Rumsfeld in after Obama beat them.
Again.
:)
Tom

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
I think that's giving her far too much credit. On the contrary, I say she believes every word that comes out of that festering cesspit she has the audacity to call a face.

gsa

It's hard to take Salon seriously when they aim at non-Democrats.
What's your personal analysis on Coulter becoming a white supremacist?
(I trust your opinion more than theirs.)

I think she has basically adopted their rhetoric. I don't know that she believes it or not; but then, I can't really say that she believes much of anything. She is pretty openly racist though.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I think that's giving her far too much credit. On the contrary, I say she believes every word that comes out of that festering cesspit she has the audacity to call a face.

Hmmm....Tell you what, I'll go this far;

She is broadly aware the facts don't support her bile, but since the facts have a clear leftist bias (tip of the hat) she feels justified in avoiding them and instead applying good ol' American common sense, whilst ignoring the dichotomy between the best and most enlightened of Americas history and her reactionary dross.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think she has basically adopted their rhetoric. I don't know that she believes it or not; but then, I can't really say that she believes much of anything. She is pretty openly racist though.
What's the basis for this conclusion though?
She must be saying something specific.

Marisa

I hesitate to even address the fading has been, but a recent Salon piece examines why Ann Coulter has fallen from grace in even the most right wing of circles. Last Friday, she echoed Donald Trump, accusing Mexican immigrants of hailing from "misogynistic alien cultures...that are going to end up, um, raping young American girls."

She also claimed that South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley is unqualified to deal with the Confederate flag debate, because she is an immigrant who does not understand American history. Of course, Haley was born and raised in South Carolina.

What I find disturbing about her plunge into the extremes is that she still commands a following, and not an insubstantial one. She is now using language that is virtually indistinguishable from some of the stuff you might find on neo-Confederate and neo-Nazi websites. Of course, I am not terribly surprised to discover she has come full circle; in the days following 9/11, she had this memorable policy recommendation for the Bush administration:

Airports scrupulously apply the same laughably ineffective airport harassment to Suzy Chapstick as to Muslim hijackers. It is preposterous to assume every passenger is a potential crazed homicidal maniac. We know who the homicidal maniacs are. They are the ones cheering and dancing right now.

We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity. We weren't punctilious about locating and punishing only Hitler and his top officers. We carpet-bombed German cities; we killed civilians. That's war. And this is war.

That one was too much for National Review Online, and she was promptly fired. Jonah Goldberg's defense of this decision is riddled with suggestive innuendo as well, which might indicate she has quite a bit in common with the dregs of society that congregate on Stormfront forums.

She has also taken credit for Donald Trump's "Mexican rapists" speech. Also, the Southern Poverty Law Center is America's leading hate group, in Ann's world.

Yet for all of this, she still manages to book appearances on Fox News.
Ann Coulter is a female Howard Stern. That is to say she's a shock jock. She says whatever she has to say to make the cameras stay focused on her. I doubt she believes most of what she says, but I could be wrong on that score. She's actually a decent gauge, if you want to know how far in a given direction a party is moving, look at what their extremists are saying.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Ann Coulter is a female Howard Stern.

I agree. And here's something I just ran across:

The Council of Conservative Citizens (CofCC) is an American political organization that supports a large variety of conservativeand paleoconservative causes in addition to white nationalism, and white separatism. Its Statement of Principles says that they "oppose all efforts to mix the races of mankind". Several members of the CofCC Board of Directors are former leaders of thesegregationist Citizens' Councils of America, founded by Bob Patterson, which is commonly referred to as the White Citizens' Council. The organization is headquartered in St. Louis. Its president is Earl Holt, while Jared Taylor is the group's spokesman and Paul Fromm is its international director...

Columnist Ann Coulter has defended the group against charges of racism, stating on the basis of a viewing of their website that there is "no evidence" that the CofCC supports segregation. Coulter and Pat Buchanan are listed as being recommended columnists on the organization's official website.
-- Council of Conservative Citizens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marisa

What's the basis for this conclusion though?
She must be saying something specific.
Have you ever seen her wax poetic on the civil rights movement? It's even more painful than listening to the Paul's version of that moment in our history.

Underhill

What surprises me most is that people are surprised. She has always been a tool of the extreme right. Rush with a face for television.

I've come to the conclusion, after watching her on Bill Mahers show many times, that she isn't so much a true believer as a shill peddling medicine that cures all that ails you. She says the most incredibly asinine things sometimes... all with this smug little smirk.

Paranoid Android

I dislike for other reasons. Check out "Special Olympian Scolds Ann Coulter for "Retard" Tweet". The letter he wrote to Anne Coulter in " In His Own Words: Special Olympian's Open Letter to Anne Coulter". Also check out " Anne Coulter Suggests Citizenship Denial to Blind Disabled immigrants". It can be seen on Youtube.