• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Respectful Question

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
As you know, I am a Christian; what some people don't realize that my family on my maternal grandmother's side were Jewish. I told this to a Rabbi, who informed me I was considered a Jew. The trouble is that I have never practiced Judaism at all. My grandmother married a man who was born in Italy and was raised a Catholic and they raised their children, including my mother, as Catholics. My mother, however, abandoned all religion before I was born; so I was mainly raised with no religion.

My question is this: Can I consider myself a Messianic Jew although I was never a practicing Jew? I'll understand if you say that I can't, I just wanted to ask.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
As you know, I am a Christian; what some people don't realize that my family on my maternal grandmother's side were Jewish. I told this to a Rabbi, who informed me I was considered a Jew. The trouble is that I have never practiced Judaism at all. My grandmother married a man who was born in Italy and was raised a Catholic and they raised their children, including my mother, as Catholics. My mother, however, abandoned all religion before I was born; so I was mainly raised with no religion.

My question is this: Can I consider myself a Messianic Jew although I was never a practicing Jew? I'll understand if you say that I can't, I just wanted to ask.

Shalom!

A common question, even more common in South America, where half of my family is from. Just about everyone with European background (as opposed to Native) is of at least part Jewish descent.

First, let me point out the sticky (a work in progress) over in the Jewish DIR for reference:

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/judaism-dir/167758-future-sticky-who-jew.html

The Rabbi you asked probably was Conservative or Orthodox, as technically since your mother's mother was Jewish that made your mother Jewish therefore you are as well.

But as you know, it's not that simple. I served several years as Outreach chair in my Reform shul, and in a case like yours (and each case is unique) I'd follow the thought in Reform that some Jewish identity must have been observed, however simple. Since in your case and in very many cases that is zero, I would recommend the conversion process be followed, as if no Jewish background was present. Because if no Jewish rituals or customs were in a persons life, well, it's just not fair to expect them to take on the whole of the faith's duties and responsibilities without some help. It's considered a kindness to say to the person with Jewish blood but no Jewish upbringing: 'Let's take things slowly'. The Reform 'Intro to Judaism' course (the first step in the conversion process) is very good indeed, I've taken it just to see for myself.

So, on to your question (sorry it took so long) of if you can consider yourself a Messianic Jew... ask yourself if you consider yourself a Jew first. Yes, set aside the Messianic part, for now. Ask yourself honestly if you identify as a Jew? If the answer is unclear, then ask yourself if you wish to? This is not a trivial question, you have a choice to make. If the answer is yes, then you need to 'get up to speed' so to speak in Judaism. Approaching a Reform Rabbi for conversion advice could be a start. (again, setting aside Messianic for now) Other branches, they would not require conversion process but the need for Jewish education would still be there in full, because you'd be quite lost without it.

Ultimately, to consider yourself a Messianic Jew, you'd have to consider yourself a Jew first.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

HaKeliYah

ChristineES,

Every human being can become a child of abraham through Faith in the Messiah. Ergo, everyone can enter the abrahamic (Jewish) tradition, through belief in the Jewish Messiah (Ergo, Messianic Judaism).

What I'm telling you is that the decision on whether or not you can be a Messianic Jew is something that was decided by YHWH himself, who sent Yahshua to establish the new covenant (Jeremiah 31), through which we Gentiles have access to the promises, the covenant, the adoption, and the inheritance.

In other words, YHWH himself says, "Yes, you can be a Messianic Jew, and in fact believing in my Messiah, and following the Jewish tradition is the only path you can take."

HaKeliYah

What is the meaning of this?

I don't mean following the Talmud traditions, which Yahshua campaigned against; but the Jewish religious tradition itself, the heritage of the Jews, which is the Oracles of YHWH (Romans 3:1-2), and the Torah and the accoutrements of the covenant which were given to them, you must follow. That is, you must keep all of the Torah: the statutes, judgments, commandments and ordinances.

Keep all of those which apply to you (some do not apply to you; for example, if you are not a priest, then many of the laws for the priests do not apply to you), and for those which apply to you that you cannot keep (for example, there is currently no temple in Yerushalayim, so you cannot bring your trespass offerings), you look forward to the time of restoration when you can keep the Torah in its fullness.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
This is a common but regrettable view in the MJ world; to fail to heed Yeshua's words to follow the Rabbis teachings, as they sit in the seat of Moshe... and that teaching is the Talmud. One has latitude in customs, but not in Oral Law. The greatest teaching of Yeshua is the understanding of the Kevanah, the meaning and intent, of the Torah. Then all is in perspective, and there is only one Torah; Oral or Written.