• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RF Every day sexism

Me Myself

Back to my username
The problem with this is that it would have to be ok from both sides before it is considered not a sexism issue. Unlikely situation, even if it were it wouldnt end up being spoken about.

what? "both" "sides"?

That's actually a very sexist claim.

There are as many sides as people and way more even.

Sexism means treating someone differently because of their sex. Mostly and mainly believing their sex makes them have different rights for any reason or any other reason.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
what? "both" "sides"?

That's actually a very sexist claim.

There are as many sides as people and way more even.

Sexism means treating someone differently because of their sex. Mostly and mainly believing their sex makes them have different rights for any reason or any other reason.

The discussion is about men and women so I am referring to men as one side and women as the other side for the purposes of this discussion.

It also includes the sexual objectificaton of a gender. Talking about a womans breasts, IMO, is sexual objectification. As would talking about a guys peepee.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And if there is no rule against you doing the same regarding men, I can't see how you call it sexism. BTW, that patriarchy thing...40-50 years ago, sure, but we no longer live in a patriarchy.
Doesn't happen where we work, because men are treated professionally and women are treated less-so by some of them.

Statistically I think we still very much live in a patriarchy. Small percentage of world leaders are female, fairly small percentage of high ranking politicians are female, and a small number of women are CEOs or board members of corporations, and only a minority of small businesses are women-owned.

I'd still like to see where I played the victim.

Me Myself

Back to my username
The discussion is about men and women so I am referring to men as one side and women as the other side for the purposes of this discussion.

It also includes the sexual objectificaton of a gender. Talking about a womans breasts, IMO, is sexual objectification. As would talking about a guys peepee.

Definition of sexism in English
sexism
Pronunciation: /ˈsɛksɪz(ə)m/
Translate sexism | into French | into German | into Italian | into Spanish
noun
[mass noun]
prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex:
sexism in language is an offensive reminder of the way the culture sees women

It really doesnt.

The question is simple, what would have happened if those talking about penumbra were a bunch of lesbians?

I dont think the specific situation talks about sexism. I think it just talks about people being to casual on a work environment and she overhearing without them noticing.

Which is not to say there is no sexism where she works, I dont work there, but I am talking for what I am reading described.

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
The objectification does not have to apply to one and not the other for it be sexist. It is the action that renders it sexist, in the understanding of the term.
If that is what sexism is to you, I have to say, "So what? Sexism exists." By the definition you gave us, sexism is a part of being a sexually-reproducing animal, and a non-issue in many contexts.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
sexism
noun
[mass noun]
prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex:

It really doesnt.

The question is simple, what would have happened if those talking about penumbra were a bunch of lesbians?
They weren't though.

I dont think the specific situation talks about sexism. I think it just talks about people being to casual on a work environment and she overhearing without them noticing.
Except at least in this workplace, it's a unidirectional occurrence.

Which is not to say there is no sexism where she works, I dont work there, but I am talking for what I am reading described.
When the primary features of a new professional are seen as her breasts and the rest of her body, that is objectification, and when the objectification occurs for women but does not occur for men in the environment, it is unidirectional objectification and therefore sexist.

Me Myself

Back to my username
If that is what sexism is to you, I have to say, "So what? Sexism exists." By the definition you gave us, sexism is a part of being a sexually-reproducing animal, and a non-issue in many contexts.

How do you define sxual objectification?

Would I be wrong to say you define it as someone appreciating the sexual stimulus that arises from watching people s/he finds visualy sexually attractive?

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
Doesn't happen where we work, because men are treated professionally and women are treated less-so by some of them.

Statistically I think we still very much live in a patriarchy. Small percentage of world leaders are female, fairly small percentage of high ranking politicians are female, and a small number of women are CEOs or board members of corporations, and only a minority of small businesses are women-owned.

I'd still like to see where I played the victim.
Here's the rub with those statistics: even with the small percentages of women at the top, women have equal opportunity to get to the top. Men lead politics because women, who are the majority of voters, vote for them. In a patriarchy, your opportunities would be limited, but they aren't. This is about as close to an equal society as you're going to get.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Here's the rub with those statistics: even with the small percentages of women at the top, women have equal opportunity to get to the top.
Do we though?

When a woman joins a new organization and the topic of the day is her breasts, she has equal opportunity to get to the top of that organization?

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
How do you define sxual objectification?

Would I be wrong to say you define it as someone appreciating the sexual stimulus that arises from watching people s/he finds visualy sexually attractive?

That's my definition of objectification.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
sexism
noun
[mass noun]

It really doesnt.

If you go past the basic definition and look into it further, I think you will get where I am coming from.

If it was a bunch of lesbians I would still think of it as sexist, given the type of comments that are being made.

Me Myself

Back to my username
They weren't though.

Except at least in this workplace, it's a unidirectional occurrence.

When the primary features of a new professional are seen as her breasts and the rest of her body, that is objectification, and when the objectification occurs for women but does not occur for men in the environment, it is unidirectional objectification and therefore sexist.

Men and women doing different things somewhere doesnt immidiately means sexism.

Men and women being allowed different things somewhere does of course.

Again, if you told me that they were upset when you talked that way about them, then I would see sexism.

You are telling me it is different because they had penises instead of vaginas, and this is what makes it sexist. This claim is, of course, obviously sexist.

Women can be sexist towards women too. **** shaming is a sad example of this.

If something is sexist when men do it but not when women do it... well that doesnt exist honestly. that would mean the concept of sexism is sexist o.0 .

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!

It is the attitude which leads to action that is the issue.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!

If something is sexist when men do it but not when women do it... well that doesnt exist honestly. that would mean the concept of sexism is sexist o.0 .

I do not agree with the double standard that seems to exist when it comes to sexist attitudes and behaviour towards men either.

Me Myself

Back to my username
If you go past the basic definition and look into it further, I think you will get where I am coming from.

If it was a bunch of lesbians I would still think of it as sexist, given the type of comments that are being made.

Lookin further would mean that we are all equal and we all have equal rights, which should not be infringed upon by justification of sex, race or religion.

I think you associate the word sexism with everything that makes you uncomfortable and comes from other people towards you and other women and is related to sex.

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
One of my posts was either lost or deleted, so here goes, take 2:
Statistics regarding women in top positions in corporations, owning small businesses, and leading politics aren't particularly significant when determining if we are under a patriarchy.

Any woman has equal opportunity(actually, greater opportunity due to affirmative action) to rise to the top of the corporate ladder. Women also get special incentives to start their own businesses. Further, women are the majority of the voting public in the US. In a patriarchy, none of this would be tolerated. This is no patriarchy in the US.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Men and women doing different things somewhere doesnt immidiately means sexism.

Men and women being allowed different things somewhere does of course.

Again, if you told me that they were upset when you talked that way about them, then I would see sexism.

You are telling me it is different because they had penises instead of vaginas, and this is what makes it sexist. This claim is, of course, obviously sexist.

So when a Muslim person walks into a new work environment and overhears jokes about Muslims or hears people talking about his being Muslim in a less than polite way, that's not discrimination, because technically the Muslim has the same rights on paper in that organization, and technically in some other country it could have been the opposite.

No, the new employee would rightly sense a discriminatory work environment, and it's not a good start.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Lookin further would mean that we are all equal and we all have equal rights, which should not be infringed upon by justification of sex, race or religion.

I think you associate the word sexism with everything that makes you uncomfortable and comes from other people towards you and other women and is related to sex.

No I actually looked into the more drilled down definition of it to reach my conclusion.