• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RF Every day sexism

Titanic

If anyone hates you, Titanic, I would think them to be mistaken about you. You're a basically decent person, so far as my impression goes. But I think you must be wrong about Horrorble hating people simply because they are men. If that were true, she would hate all or most all men. And I don't believe she does.

My apologies for talking about you in the third person, Horrorble. I couldn't find a way around it in these peculiar circumstances.

I think most people do hate me, I consider myself to be a decent person though.

Wherenextcolumbus

If anyone hates you, Titanic, I would think them to be mistaken about you. You're a basically decent person, so far as my impression goes. But I think you must be wrong about Horrorble hating people simply because they are men. If that were true, she would hate all or most all men. And I don't believe she does.

My apologies for talking about you in the third person, Horrorble. I couldn't find a way around it in these peculiar circumstances.

That's ok I don't mind

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I think most people do hate me, I consider myself to be a decent person though.

The key to having people like you is not caring about whether they like you or not.

Or, is that the key to having them not like you? Either way, you don't care, so it's all good.

Titanic

The key to having people like you is not caring about whether they like you or not.

Or, is that the key to having them not like you? Either way, you don't care, so it's all good.

Yeah. I really dont care most of the time. I try to be a strong person.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I agree. Things that could constitute compliments on "sexiness" or "hotness" coming from friends are often unwelcome advances when they come from complete strangers. It's verbal harassment, not a compliment.

It might surprise you, DS, but I harbor no personal objections to my being complimented by strangers. I once worked in a gay bar serving alcohol, and I was not only frequently complimented on my looks, but I was often enough (at the very least, nightly!) touched by perfect strangers.

Not groped, mind you! These were almost everyone of them polite people. But a hand now and then might very lightly graze my butt, as if purely by accident, or someone might quite unnecessarily help me keep my feet under me by grasping my arm, while gently squeezing my muscles, to steady me.

I never had a problem with any of that (although I would, however, have issues with a passing car of strangers yelling at me. But to me, those are very different situations.)

But I will defend to the death another person's absolute right to feel offended by such things. If I were to say to you, DS, that you should take no offense at having your butt "accidentally touched", just because I myself have taken no offense at it, I would then embarrass myself with my own arrogant disregard for your feelings and for your human rights.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Wow. This thread took a turn from people sharing their stories of sexism in their real lives to a whole other direction.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm certain that i wouldn't mind it at all if some girls passing by called me sexy. It'd probably make my day. I'd find it funny, uplifting, and it'd boost my confidence.

That said, i wouldn't undermine someone's position in taking offense at such a thing, especially when it's in a considerably different context. If i was a girl, i'd probably see it at least a bit differently, since my experience with these things would've most likely been considerably different.

I can see how sexism would be perceived in that, because of more general related social issues in this regard. I can even see how it might be threatening to some people.

In addition, i think debating one example extensively kind of deviates from the purpose of the thread, which is a discussion thread in the first place.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
And I'm saying that women who behave no more assertively than many men are often accused of being "temperamental", or other such things, when the men are not accused of such. I am telling you the truth, Titanic.

Yes this is the absolute truth."Hysterical" is another one.