• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RF Every day sexism

Me Myself

Back to my username
I'm certain that i wouldn't mind it at all if some girls passing by called me sexy. It'd probably make my day. I'd find it funny, uplifting, and it'd boost my confidence.

That said, i wouldn't undermine someone's position in taking offense at such a thing, especially when it's in a considerably different context. If i was a girl, i'd probably see it at least a bit differently, since my experience with these things would've most likely been considerably different.

I can see how sexism would be perceived in that, because of more general related social issues in this regard. I can even see how it might be threatening to some people.

In addition, i think debating one example extensively kind of deviates from the purpose of the thread, which is a discussion thread in the first place.

You know what, I change my mind. What you just said actually makes me think it was a perfect example of sexism, just not the in the way it was intended at all .

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm sure you like putting money in their g-strings, go with that

It's a custom that's more than a little bit encouraged. I've often felt like a goofball when consenting to it. I'd rather just hand them the cash. But my feelings probably reflect my deeply twisted psyche, more than anything else.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
It might surprise you, DS, but I harbor no personal objections to my being complimented by strangers. I once worked in a gay bar serving alcohol, and I was not only frequently complimented on my looks, but I was often enough (at the very least, nightly!) touched by perfect strangers.

Not groped, mind you! These were almost everyone of them polite people. But a hand now and then might very lightly graze my butt, as if purely by accident, or someone might quite unnecessarily help me keep my feet under me by grasping my arm, while gently squeezing my muscles, to steady me.

I never had a problem with any of that (although I would, however, have issues with a passing car of strangers yelling at me. But to me, those are very different situations.)

But I will defend to the death another person's absolute right to feel offended by such things. If I were to say to you, DS, that you should take no offense at having your butt "accidentally touched", just because I myself have taken no offense at it, I would then embarrass myself with my own arrogant disregard for your feelings and for your human rights.

Agreed. So long as one doesn't assume everybody else shares his/her sensitivities (or lack thereof), I don't think there's a problem with enjoying compliments from strangers.

But let's get back to the topic of sexism. All this babbling is making my head hurt, and all I wanted was to discuss my horniness. Oh well...

Me Myself

Back to my username
"You people"....Good one. :clap

And I beg to differ. Several people did offer examples of sexism in their lives.

Yes, you people that use the term in such a way :D

I am sure they did, I mean it didnt start with that, given the first example in the OP was not about sexism but about "objectification"

Wherenextcolumbus

It's a custom that's more than a little bit encouraged. I've often felt like a goofball when consenting to it. I'd rather just hand them the cash. But my feelings probably reflect my deeply twisted psyche, more than anything else.

Money on a woman's body is encouraged, no way? What could they mean by that, money on a woman's body....

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
But let's get back to the topic of sexism.

Agreed. But before we actually get into all that, I'd very much enjoy taking a moment to discuss the alarming procreative powers of the squirrels in my neighborhood -- if you don't think that might somehow risk derailing this thread further, that is.

..my horniness.

One word: Legendary.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Money on a woman's body is encouraged, no way? What could they mean by that, money on a woman's body....

Probably means the g string didnt have pockets.

Please mansplain to me what sexism is? I could learn a lot from you.

Sexism would be if the men that called you sexy and asked for a wave from you said it was against their rights that a woman called them sexy and requested a wave for them.

In other words, sexism is changing the rights of someone based on their gender.

I dont know if that fits your "man"splanation, but that is sexism.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You know what, I change my mind. What you just said actually makes me think it was a perfect example of sexism, just not the in the way it was intended at all .

Just out of curiosity, what is that way you're thinking of?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

I'll certainly grant sexism is rampant in strip clubs. It's just I think it's possible to enjoy the women without necessarily adopting a sexist attitude.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Agreed. But before we actually get into all that, I'd very much enjoy taking a moment to discuss the alarming procreative powers of the squirrels in my neighborhood -- if you don't think that might somehow risk derailing this thread further, that is.

One word: Legendary.

I would love to discuss the squirrels in your neighborhood along with my legendary horniness--as I'm sure there's a connection of sorts between these two topics. However, I think I'll save that for later and apologize to the OP of this thread for partaking in the mess that has become of this thread.

I'm trying to recall more examples of everyday sexism, though (aside from any occurrences with squirrels, that is :D).

Wherenextcolumbus

Probably means the g string didnt have pockets.

Sexism would be if the men that called you sexy and asked for a wave from you said it was against their rights that a woman called them sexy and requested a wave for them.

In other words, sexism is changing the rights of someone based on their gender.

I dont know if that fits your "man"splanation, but that is sexism.

Ooohhhhh :bow: your knowledge of sexism is extensive oh great one.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
O.K here is an example happened more than once. When I was in the PC industry I would answer some tech support calls men would ask me "isn't there a man there I can ask my question "...or just simply "I want to talk to a man...Another ocassion I decided to join the all men but me sales team at lunch ..my boss (male ) told me no matter how bad you want it you will never be one of the boys".That mild...The hanging out the car widow thing ??Yep many times..hey sexy come sit on my face..I've just been walking to my mailbox and 5 or six guys working on the neighbors roof ..its like hammering completely stops and all eyes are upon me ..whistling yowling etc...one guy I worked with had this sound machine on his desk ..and frequently (if he wasn't busy working earning his money in PEACE at the moment) when I got up from my desk to take an order to the shipping dept or to go to the bathroom whatever..he pushed his sound machine and this classic stripper jingle would sound out as I walked.Thats the tip of the ice burg.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is it just me, or has anyone else gotten all hot and ready to go for it, now that Badran and Debater Slayer have both shown up in the same thread?

Me Myself

Back to my username
Sexism I've seen:

The latest that comes to my mind is from something that I mentioned in other threads.

I was with a group making a script we had to role play for a class. Well, the script was made. There were historical characters in them, two of them were Cleopatra and Thor (okay, that one is less historical :D) . Both were clearly exchanging sexual flirting and Thor was way more straight forward "bash stuff and have sex" while Cleopatra displayed some clear reasonings of usin sex as a tool and not only as a form of pleasure.

The girls on my team said so many time s"Oh you made cleopatra such a ****!" . I told them "Why havent you tell me anything about Thor? He is clearly at least as much into sex as Cleopatra is and Cleopatra has displayed more political management and practicality than Thor"

Basically, they were **** shaming Cleopatra, but not the man, where the most reasonable attitude would be to allow both to freely enjoy their sexualities and express it freely. I think it is one of the most common sexisms around, to be against a woman freely expresing her sexuality.

It is really a shame.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Defining "sexism" as giving unjust preferential treatment to one sex or the other, is fine with me. But to insist that can be the word's only accepted usage is nonsense.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
That's the other thing I cant stand.A guy saying I would love it if I was sexually harassed.Just like they claim they would love to be raped(by a woman of course).It boggles my mind how they don't get that's a complete oxymoron.