• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RF Every day sexism

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
मैत्रावरुणिः;3481502 said:
Do they really say that?
Does it matter? Penumbra and dgirl have made it clear that any discussion of attractiveness of a woman among men at work would make them uncomfortable, regardless of context or whether the conversation was intended for or directed towards them.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
The problem with gender, is that heterosexual and homosexual people are sexist in their sexual attractions, so they will treat people differently based on their gender when it comes to sexual attraction. Thus, a topic of discussion appears where non would be had if they didnt felt sexually attracted to the new co worker.

It's easy, if they were asexual or homosexual this wouldnt happen. If they were all bisexual, this would happen with all co-workers.

Homosexuality and heterosexuality are sexist inherently (if we take sexism as treating people differently because of their sex ). Which is a bit funny in the context of this discussion.

...This is a large generalisation and seems way out of whack.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Does it matter? Penumbra and dgirl have made it clear that any discussion of attractiveness of a woman among men at work would make them uncomfortable, regardless of context or whether the conversation was intended for or directed towards them.

I have made it clear that the discussion in detail of a persons physical attributes, especially private ones, is wrong.

I have had men at my last job talking about me in a sexual way so I think I know what I am talking about...

Me Myself

Back to my username
No, it's more like, "we have new breasts- er I mean a new engineer today".

Was that the most "sexist" thing they said?

They dont find other co workers sexually relevant because they are heterosexual males and so are other co workers.

The same would happen in reverse if there were all women with a new co worker being male and they found him sexually relevant enough.

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
I have made it clear that the discussion in detail of a persons physical attributes, especially private ones, is wrong.

I have had men at my last job talking about me in a sexual way so I think I know what I am talking about...

What you made clear is that your standard for what should or should not be allowed is based on your personal comfort level, and anyone else's comfort level should conform to yours, in your opinion.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
What you made clear is that your standard for what should or should not be allowed is based on your personal comfort level, and anyone else's comfort level should conform to yours, in your opinion.

Actually no. It is based on what most work places would employ as an appropriate code of conduct.

Wherenextcolumbus

And if she thinks it's horrible, he has to, as well.

Or he could just respect that she felt uncomfortable as a new employee at a new work place and having her individual body parts rated from 1-10 like a product from amazon because she's a woman.
Only because he wouldn't mind a bunch of women doing that to him doesn't make penumbra's experience less valid.

Rakhel

Or he could just respect that she felt uncomfortable as a new employee at a new work place and having her individual body parts rated from 1-10 like a product from amazon because she's a woman.
Only because he wouldn't mind a bunch of women doing that to him doesn't make penumbra's experience less valid.
and my statement stands. If she thinks its horrible, he must as well.

Rakhel

No he doesn't have to think its horrible when done to him, but he should respect how penumbra felt in that situation.
You're not following. But that's okay. I will spell it out for you
If she thinks it's horrible that it was done to her then he has to agree.
That is what you were saying when you said
You don't get it, if he thinks it's awesome you have too as well

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I thought this was a discussion thread. No debate is allowed in discussion threads, and yet I see a debate here that has been going on for several pages now.

I would suggest that if a debate were to continue to start a new thread discussing whether or not a situation similar to Penumbras workplace experience is considered sexist.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
A study was conducted in Italy on Ambivalent Sexism. I found the below rather interesting

I'm not done with the paper. yet but thought it fit here.
[/FONT]

I think the study is certainly relevant to the discussion, and the variances of perceptions of both men and women when receiving messages of both hostile sexism and benevolent sexism. One can share "nice" sexism (women need protection from men because women are "pure")...or one can share "hostile" sexism (all men are pigs)....and it was interesting to see the results of how women and men receive those variances.

Rakhel

I think it's also important to note that sexism will continue to exist. There is no way to rid ourselves of it. The best we can do is recognize that we all, men and women, are both victim and perpetrator of sexism,and make some attempt to lessen the damage that we all commit.