• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Right Livelihood

The Rev

As one of the eight in the Eightfold Path, Right Livelihood is important. And, since I'm currently unemployed and looking for a new job, I want to do something that will be more in line with the Dharma. I used to be a manager and engineer in a number of manufacturing companies; I'm very good at organizing, and at statistical analysis.

However, when I try to think of jobs, I find myself at a loss. Work at a homeless shelter? As a bookkeeper for a Buddhist or other charitable organization? I guess I'm just looking for ideas. If anyone has any suggestions about possible areas to look into for employment, I'd love to hear them. I am kind of at a loss as to where to start.

Thanks.
:namaste

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Have you considered non-traditional engineering fields such as hospital systems management?
(I know someone who does that. Medicine is rather backwards in that area, & could benefit greatly.)

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
It was actually one of THE major spurs for me in my 'going back to school' decision.

I LOVE landscaping and gardening... but it's very hard on my body physically in order of the pace of work and it's load, also all the dust, pesties and gas fumes.

Not to mention what chemies do to the earth.

Most landscaping I've found works against nature a lot of the time.

All in all, I did NOT want to get 'locked in' to that.

I have/do volunteer with Street people and those near to it in Drop in Centre/Shelter work, and THIS is the work that really brings forth gifts I suppress or don't utilize, and these are the ones I feel most holistically benefit all sentient beings.

The gardening can NO doubt change the landscape of a city mentally and good vibrations and such....
But in the end, I'd rather volunteer for THAT instead.

So I've chosen to go to school for a certificate in Mental Health and Human Services.

That way I can be more effective at my job, have confidence in my actions and also, career wise, placing myself in a more flexible spot/higher position/payment....

And it's easy on the back compared to moving 2 tons of stone in a wheel borrow.

It's my Spirituality in practice, more so than being rushed through a good gardening job.
There is actually a 'Spiritual Counseling' certificate I will hopefully be taking in addition to the other cert I get so I can be a 'Registered Spiritual Counselor', bonded and the whole deal.

So to help you Rev, have to looked into career counseling?

If you could do ANYTHING and get paid for it, what would it be?
How can you get paid to use your gifts?

:namaste

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Hi, Rev-

I work in the engineering field. Many of our projects could be debated as to whether or not they represent right livelihood. My particular role has to do with controls and equipment that increase workers' safety and prevent accidents and environmental damage from occurring. The projects will be done regardless of my participation or not, and at least I can feel better about the work I am doing since it increases the safety of both the workers and our environment.

wmjbyatt

Lunatic from birth
I do not believe you have to do what might be classically considered "charity work" in order to be pursuing Right Livelihood. I would say that, in a lot of respects, almost any field can be Right Livelihood, so long as it is approached with bodhichitta and mindfulness.

I say do what fulfills you, and wherever you are, if your business begets suffering, work to eliminate it. We cannot eliminate suffering if we do not place ourselves in the midst of it.