• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ritual and Freedom

applewuud

We are constrained at times because of the many people who have become UUs after negative experiences in other churches. For them, any ritual like a communion may bring up religious trauma. Since we also aggregate people from many different backgrounds, we also have to be sensitive to using rituals from one or another...avoiding people feeling left out (e.g., Jewish UUs having to deal with Christmas celebrations) or trivialized/exploited (e.g., native American rituals done by all-white congregations).

But that's the fear side talking. I enjoy taking part in the Flower Communion, the Water Communion, Passover seders, and Christmas Eve celebrations, and wish people would take them for what they are: a way to share ideas that are too deep for words. I agree with Rev. Sinkford that UUs need to "reclaim the language of reverence"--which is not to be an excuse to backslide into superstition and lose our humanist perspective.

Rituals that are repeated over and over lose their meaning, in my experience; it's their scarcity that makes them special. On the other hand, a ritual that hasn't been rehearsed or carefully thought through is embarrassing.

EverChanging

Rituals that are repeated over and over lose their meaning, in my experience; it's their scarcity that makes them special. On the other hand, a ritual that hasn't been rehearsed or carefully thought through is embarrassing.
I agree repetition can make some rituals meaningless, yet it can be meaningful, too: the ritual can become a part of you.

I find that I am drawn to ritual. It is a way for me to express something I can't express in any other way. Many other Humanists don't understand that, which is fine by me: to each her/his own. But I do not practice any rituals regularly. I haven't quite developed that part of my spiritual path, yet, although I do participate in neo-pagan ritual from time to time with my neo-pagan friends.

If any other UUs on this forum have developed meaningful rituals they feel comfortable sharing, I'd be very interested.

I have only been "officially" UU for a short time, though UU is essentially what I've been for a long time. My worldview and ethics are Humanist; however, I am still seeking a center for my path, I suppose. So far, my main practices include contemplation, and I'm working on establishing a regular yoga breathing meditation. Essentially, I wish to add depth to my path, but I'm not sure where to look. What I have looked into -- various practices and rituals in different Christian sects, breathing meditation, contemplative/centering prayers, neo-paganism, pantheism, I have found so much beauty in all of it that I'm not exactly sure where to center myself yet. To ground myself in the UU tradition, I talk to other UUs in person and by phone, talk to friends from the CLF, on forums, and recite the principles to remind myself to live by them. But I am still searching for the "center" of my path.

Any ideas are appreciated. : )

Last edited: