• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rock of offence to the Jews

dance-above

Personally, I'd be fine if you chose to stop. Y'all have done a fine job of making sure the information is out there, and I'm sure that we can find it if we want to read it.

The problem isn't with answering questions or telling people how and what you believe; it's in not being able understand that asking a question isn't an invitation to proselytize, to condemn, to insult, or to tell us how we don't understand our own religion and Scripture.

Disclaimer: The "you" being used refers to Christians in general and not you specifically.
Thank you. This is a good honest answer and I really appreciate it. G-d bless

dance-above

I'm afraid that we will all perish. Are you talking about some kind of survival after our physical death? If so, what did God tell you about that?

Anyway, God doesn't care what we believe. In fact, He prefers that we all believe different stuff. He's unhappy when we all think the same way.

This is fun. Please let me know if you have any more questions about God and how He sees things.
What does this mean, They perish because they have no hope?

dance-above

There is a lot of hatred and venom in the christian bible towards jews.
I don't think its the bible but the people and I want to change that. Of all other people in the world Jewish people are the ones I feel closes to as a Christian. Not doctrinally but as of the same God.

dance-above

There is a lot of hatred and venom in the christian bible towards jews.
We all fail in many ways and God is just in his punishment. But Christians do seem to forget that they were just grafted in, like they're no consequences for the way they approach their neighbor but at the same time we must not hold back any truth. If asked.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Should we continue to share the Gospel with the Jews if it offends them?

No. You shouldn't. Not with the Jews, or with anyone else who didn't ask for it to be shared with them.

I understand that from the Christian perspective, evangelizing is a deed of kindness, showing concern for the well-being of others by offering them the opportunity of salvation. But it is really important to remember that everything about that concept is Christian: other religions, other worldviews may not share even the ideas that there are things such as salvation or damnation, much less that the solution thereto lies with Jesus and Christianity.

When seen from a non-Christian perspective, to have someone come along and force their views on you, telling you that what you believe and how you live your life is wrong, and the only way to be right is to change and be like them is not merely intrusive, it is appallingly presumptuous. Implicit in Christian missionizing is a theology of exclusivity and replacement: that all other faiths, practices, and ways of life are grossly insufficient if not counterproductive, and only Christianity is of value.

That alone would be sufficient reason not to engage in missionizing. But there is also the matter of centuries of Christian persecution of Jews: forced baptisms, Jewish children taken to be raised as Christians "for the good of their souls," blood libels, endless charges of deicide, religiously motivated pogroms at Easter time, expulsions of Jewish populations from their homes by Christian authorities, public burnings of our Torah and our Talmud, special taxes on Jews, shameful markings on our clothing, to say nothing of massacres related to the Crusades or to the Inquisition. The Jews of Europe suffered at Christian hands for fifteen hundred years. Jews under Christian Roman rule prior to that, or under Christian rule in the New World after that, seldom fared much better. Even today there is often anti-Semitism fueled by Christian themes and tropes, even to be found in America.

So when Christians come to us now and blithely tell us "the good news," and expect that we be interested and grateful, or even just open to hearing it, it can be hard for us to understand why they're shocked when we're angry at the continued intrusiveness, and disgusted at the chutzpah of their ability to act as though none of that ever happened, or as though none of that should have any relevance to our reaction to their decision to intrude into our lives in order to lecture us on how we're wrong, insufficient, and going to Hell, unless we become like them.

dance-above

No. You shouldn't. Not with the Jews, or with anyone else who didn't ask for it to be shared with them.

I understand that from the Christian perspective, evangelizing is a deed of kindness, showing concern for the well-being of others by offering them the opportunity of salvation. But it is really important to remember that everything about that concept is Christian: other religions, other worldviews may not share even the ideas that there are things such as salvation or damnation, much less that the solution thereto lies with Jesus and Christianity.

When seen from a non-Christian perspective, to have someone come along and force their views on you, telling you that what you believe and how you live your life is wrong, and the only way to be right is to change and be like them is not merely intrusive, it is appallingly presumptuous. Implicit in Christian missionizing is a theology of exclusivity and replacement: that all other faiths, practices, and ways of life are grossly insufficient if not counterproductive, and only Christianity is of value.

That alone would be sufficient reason not to engage in missionizing. But there is also the matter of centuries of Christian persecution of Jews: forced baptisms, Jewish children taken to be raised as Christians "for the good of their souls," blood libels, endless charges of deicide, religiously motivated pogroms at Easter time, expulsions of Jewish populations from their homes by Christian authorities, public burnings of our Torah and our Talmud, special taxes on Jews, shameful markings on our clothing, to say nothing of massacres related to the Crusades or to the Inquisition. The Jews of Europe suffered at Christian hands for fifteen hundred years. Jews under Christian Roman rule prior to that, or under Christian rule in the New World after that, seldom fared much better. Even today there is often anti-Semitism fueled by Christian themes and tropes, even to be found in America.

So when Christians come to us now and blithely tell us "the good news," and expect that we be interested and grateful, or even just open to hearing it, it can be hard for us to understand why they're shocked when we're angry at the continued intrusiveness, and disgusted at the chutzpah of their ability to act as though none of that ever happened, or as though none of that should have any relevance to our reaction to their decision to intrude into our lives in order to lecture us on how we're wrong, insufficient, and going to Hell, unless we become like them.
I'm not surprised that you don't want to hear the Gospel. But I don't think I personally have ever tried to convert a Jew. I have though responded to post from Jews asking us about certain doctrines. Which at times my answer seem offensive. My original question basically is should we Christian withhold answers if they're offensive? Not intently offensive.

AmbiguousGuy

What does this mean, They perish because they have no hope?

I don't understand your question. Are you asking why people perish? If so, I think it has to do with cells reproducing themselves imperfectly. After awhile a lot of errors build up and systems begin to fail. But I could be wrong. I'm not a biologist. I'm only a humble prophet of God.

Anyway, people perish whether they have hope or whether they don't. It's just part of the life cycle. Everything dies. I've only heard of one life form which might be immortal... some kind of weird jellyfish, I think. Somehow it is able to revert to its juvenile stage again and again.

If we want everlasting life, we should probably study that jellyfish.

dance-above

I don't understand your question. Are you asking why people perish? If so, I think it has to do with cells reproducing themselves imperfectly. After awhile a lot of errors build up and systems begin to fail. But I could be wrong. I'm not a biologist. I'm only a humble prophet of God.

Anyway, people perish whether they have hope or whether they don't. It's just part of the life cycle. Everything dies. I've only heard of one life form which might be immortal... some kind of weird jellyfish, I think. Somehow it is able to revert to its juvenile stage again and again.

If we want everlasting life, we should probably study that jellyfish.

Your silly:rolleyes:

dance-above

Just stop and think about your post, what are you really trying to achieve, and what good is it, and if it has anything good, then who is going to benefit from it.
My post is: if Israel is blinded in part should a Christian respond to posts from other Jews with the whole answer, which can be offensive or should we refrain if we know it will offend them?

Avi1001

reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur
Should we continue to share the Gospel with the Jews if it offends them?

Romans 11:25
For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles be come in.

26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:

Hi dance-above, how about this one:

Should we, as Jews, continue to share the Torah with the Christians ?

Does that sound a little weird to you ?

I am a reform Jew. I reject dogma. I reject elements of religion that I believe can be interpreted hatefully. I don't understand your opening post.

I don't believe sacred texts are some kind of private property that are under the control of their religion. I believe in freedom of speech, which means you can read the Torah and I can read the Gospels, if I want to.

Last edited: