• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Role of religion in one's life !

psylient

Religion has always been the topic of great discussion, i am writing this post on the hope that we would be able see where religion actually stands in this world in the right light.
We are living in the world which is full of divisions, inequality, violence and corruption. one man is constantly being compared with another man on the basis of thier skills, intellect, , physique etc becaiae it has become the demand of this world, it is very important for the survival, if you can not compete with the fellow person then you will be left behind and it would make difficult for your survival and your desires, dreams will remain unfullfilled, in this competition there is tremendous struggle, out of this struggle comes the urge to eacape from this harsh really Nd man goes to temple or guru,accepts some form of belief which gives escape from the reality of daily life which is full of repetitions and struggle. man is very confused as he knows not where to go, what to believe and what not to, his mind is full of confusion, fear, desiring for security etc.my question to you is, what does the part religion plays in the daily life of a common man? we are in this world since the thousands of years but yet we are same as we were centuries back psychologically, we are developed great deal on the basis of technology, art, science etc but why are not developed psychologically, we are still confused, still violent, still corrupt, our thoughts are divided, then what religion has done to such state of human? have not all the religions, beleifs, gurus failed in bringing about a change in a man? in present religions are only the vast prapoganda, which has very little value in a man's daily life. religons have not helped humans to slove their fundamental problems instead they have deviated them and made them more confused.

now i would like to know from you guys what should be the role of religion in ones daily life? because i have seen that those who follows some religion or cult, their condition is no better than who just do not.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Religion has always been the topic of great discussion, i am writing this post on the hope that we would be able see where religion actually stands in this world in the right light.

There are, of course, several competing views, and many of them are not fully reconciliable with others.

We might want to consider creating a few new, more specialized words in the future in order to avoid misunderstandings on these matters.

We are living in the world which is full of divisions, inequality, violence and corruption. one man is constantly being compared with another man on the basis of thier skills, intellect, , physique etc becaiae it has become the demand of this world, it is very important for the survival, if you can not compete with the fellow person then you will be left behind and it would make difficult for your survival and your desires, dreams will remain unfullfilled,

That is certainly an important fact. Quite a lot of our reality is hostile or at least challenging to some degree or another.

It is only natural that we will want and even need some form of protection, release or compensation for that emotional toll.

Religion can and probably should help with that, but again, there are divergent and perhaps irreconciliable views about how it should do it.

in this competition there is tremendous struggle, out of this struggle comes the urge to eacape from this harsh really Nd man goes to temple or guru,accepts some form of belief which gives escape from the reality of daily life which is full of repetitions and struggle. man is very confused as he knows not where to go, what to believe and what not to, his mind is full of confusion, fear, desiring for security etc.

my question to you is, what does the part religion plays in the daily life of a common man?

It is supposed to bring a reminder of worthwhile priorities and how to find, test and update them, so that when choices and need for acceptance come they can be made wisely and without unnecessary sorrow. With joy, even.

And it does happen... albeit not as often as I would like.

And unfortunately, religion can be counterfeited, mishandled and/or abused as well.

we are in this world since the thousands of years but yet we are same as we were centuries back psychologically, we are developed great deal on the basis of technology, art, science etc but why are not developed psychologically, we are still confused, still violent, still corrupt, our thoughts are divided, then what religion has done to such state of human?

Quite simply, it has often fallen short, for various reasons external and internal.

have not all the religions, beleifs, gurus failed in bringing about a change in a man?

Often, and when it did, it wasn't always a good or even a forgivable thing.

But it has often brought positive and needed change as well.

in present religions are only the vast prapoganda, which has very little value in a man's daily life. religons have not helped humans to slove their fundamental problems instead they have deviated them and made them more confused.

That has certainly happened way too often, but that is something to be addressed and solved.

now i would like to know from you guys what should be the role of religion in ones daily life? because i have seen that those who follows some religion or cult, their condition is no better than who just do not.

A good first step is to develop the moral courage to question and point out when religion is a positive influence and when it is degenerative instead.

While that is quite the can of worms, it is way better than the alternative, and opens the way for a lot of positive, even needed changes.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

In my opinion,

Religion is about interpreting what god wants and then doing it. It should be abolished

Humans should live for the betterment of humankind first and then the world second. If God does not want that for humans then humans should turn away from God.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd like to observe that you paint a very negative portrait of humanity and human civilization, and I would invite you to think about why this is the story you tell. Why do you focus on the "negative" attributes of humanity and completely ignore or overlook the "positive" ones in your assessment of humanity? Why do you view human life as a competition, instead of, say, an exercise in cooperation? Why do you see fear as a central locus of human thought instead of, say, love and compassion?

I'd also like to observe that you are expecting and demanding an awful lot from humanity. What, precisely, is your idea of progress for the human species? If it includes things like basic human rights, how do you reconcile your attitude that there has been no progress with modern triumphs of women's rights and civil rights? What is your standard for success? Do you think there is such a thing as solving all problems of humanity, forever?

At any rate, my assessment of humanity and the world more broadly is dramatically different from your own, and I think that if you feel religion's sole purpose is to address human problems, that's perhaps not a correct angle to be taking. The core of my religion is worship. And by worship, I mean respect, reverence, and celebration of the things I find sacred. This has direct and important applications in my day to day life. My gods are literally the world around me, and I marvel at their beauty on a daily basis. Just this morning as I walked into work, Blue Jay was calling from one of the trees. It was a simple thing, a simple moment, that I acknowledged as special and magical. This is how I live my life as a Pagan; I see gods everywhere, magic in what people call mundane, and think everything is just plain awesome. My religion isn't about "solving" humanity's "problems." It's celebration of the sublime splendor of the universe.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
From my own observations the people subscribe to a religion for two reasons:

1) They were raised that way.
2) A terrible event brought them to it.

psylient

yes i think too that we need to understand if there are any positives which surely there are but at the same time they need to be filtered well because there are many disastrous products of religion which are capable enough of doing more harm like fanaticism, sectarianism, bigotry, superstitions etc it happens many time that people who follows religions tends to fall on such harmful traps unawarely.

psylient

There are, of course, several competing views, and many of them are not fully reconciliable with others.

We might want to consider creating a few new, more specialized words in the future in order to avoid misunderstandings on these matters.

That is certainly an important fact. Quite a lot of our reality is hostile or at least challenging to some degree or another.

It is only natural that we will want and even need some form of protection, release or compensation for that emotional toll.

Religion can and probably should help with that, but again, there are divergent and perhaps irreconciliable views about how it should do it.

It is supposed to bring a reminder of worthwhile priorities and how to find, test and update them, so that when choices and need for acceptance come they can be made wisely and without unnecessary sorrow. With joy, even.

And it does happen... albeit not as often as I would like.

And unfortunately, religion can be counterfeited, mishandled and/or abused as well.

Quite simply, it has often fallen short, for various reasons external and internal.

Often, and when it did, it wasn't always a good or even a forgivable thing.

But it has often brought positive and needed change as well.

That has certainly happened way too often, but that is something to be addressed and solved.

A good first step is to develop the moral courage to question and point out when religion is a positive influence and when it is degenerative instead.

While that is quite the can of worms, it is way better than the alternative, and opens the way for a lot of positive, even needed changes.
yes i think too that we need to understand if there are any positives which surely there are but at the same time they need to be filtered well because there are many disastrous products of religion which are capable enough of doing more harm like fanaticism, sectarianism, bigotry, superstitions etc it happens many time that people who follows religions tends to fall on such harmful traps unawarely.

psylient

In my opinion,

Religion is about interpreting what god wants and then doing it. It should be abolished

Humans should live for the betterment of humankind first and then the world second. If God does not want that for humans then humans should turn away from God.
so in other words you are saying that religion is made for humanity not humanity for religion , if god comes in way between the betterment of humans and humanity then he is not god.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
The real problem is with humans not living up to what those religions teach and, many times, not even bothering.

As for my religion and its impact on my life, it calls me to strive for a higher standard and to work to change the parts of my life that don't meet that standard.

psylient

I'd like to observe that you paint a very negative portrait of humanity and human civilization, and I would invite you to think about why this is the story you tell. Why do you focus on the "negative" attributes of humanity and completely ignore or overlook the "positive" ones in your assessment of humanity? Why do you view human life as a competition, instead of, say, an exercise in cooperation? Why do you see fear as a central locus of human thought instead of, say, love and compassion?

I'd also like to observe that you are expecting and demanding an awful lot from humanity. What, precisely, is your idea of progress for the human species? If it includes things like basic human rights, how do you reconcile your attitude that there has been no progress with modern triumphs of women's rights and civil rights? What is your standard for success? Do you think there is such a thing as solving all problems of humanity, forever?

At any rate, my assessment of humanity and the world more broadly is dramatically different from your own, and I think that if you feel religion's sole purpose is to address human problems, that's perhaps not a correct angle to be taking. The core of my religion is worship. And by worship, I mean respect, reverence, and celebration of the things I find sacred. This has direct and important applications in my day to day life. My gods are literally the world around me, and I marvel at their beauty on a daily basis. Just this morning as I walked into work, Blue Jay was calling from one of the trees. It was a simple thing, a simple moment, that I acknowledged as special and magical. This is how I live my life as a Pagan; I see gods everywhere, magic in what people call mundane, and think everything is just plain awesome. My religion isn't about "solving" humanity's "problems." It's celebration of the sublime splendor of the universe.
It is not really about negative or positive, i am just trying to state the fact as it is irrespective to if it is positive and negative and if i fails to do it then it would mean that i am painting, i do not really believe in interpreting the thing or fact but in actually seeing as it is. In order to bring a change first we must be hearted enough to adress the thing exactly. You ask me that why i am overlooking the positives of the human society well even if the human civilization and society has developed amazingly. should we be happy about that stop there? Even if you do not aceept there are problems in human societies, by overlooking them and focussing only in only positives are not gonna solve it but will increase with time. No matter how the beautiful is pond, the trees besides it, the light of sun over it but one rotten fish can make it whole dirty and sick then we do not focus its beauty but on how to make it clean and healthy. Whole struture can fall no matter how good it is if one piller is not place properly. hence it has become the necessity to understand the humans and the struture made by them on which the whole society stands if there problems then they are needed to be adressed.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It is not really about negative or positive, i am just trying to state the fact as it is irrespective to if it is positive and negative and if i fails to do it then it would mean that i am painting, i do not really believe in interpreting the thing or fact but in actually seeing as it is. In order to bring a change first we must be hearted enough to adress the thing exactly. You ask me that why i am overlooking the positives of the human society well even if the human civilization and society has developed amazingly. should we be happy about that stop there? Even if you do not aceept there are problems in human societies, by overlooking them and focussing only in only positives are not gonna solve it but will not increase with time.

I never said I was overlooking "negatives," but the entirety of your OP fixates on negatives and speaks nothing of the positives. You seem to be striving for a state of "perfection" that I not only believe does not exist, but if it did exist, would be highly undesirable and literally require the end of reality.

No matter how the beautiful is pond, the trees besides it, the light of sun over it but one rotten fish can make it whole dirty and sick then we do not focus its beauty but on how to make it clean and healthy. Whole struture can fall no matter how good it is if one piller is not place properly. hence it has become the necessity to understand the humans and the struture made by them on which the whole society stands if there problems then they are needed to be adressed.

Eeeeh.... reality doesn't really work that way, but if that's the way you choose to see things... whatever is your cup of tea, sir. :shrug:

psylient

The real problem is with humans not living up to what those religions teach and, many times, not even bothering.

As for my religion and its impact on my life, it calls me to strive for a higher standard and to work to change the parts of my life that don't meet that standard.
You says that the problem with humans are they are not living with the deep and true standards of their religion or they are not pursuing the true teachings of thier religion and mostly are not even bothering to, what do you think, why is that? Could it be that we humans do not understand the necessity of religion of ones life? Many people seems to beieve that that they do not need religion, they can even live without, with peace. People do not need religion then why should they follow it?

Sees

Dragonslayer
Religion is/should be a quality of life and happiness thing.

Replace religion with "a proper, good diet" in your questions and think about the answers.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
You says that the problem with humans are they are not living with the deep and true standards of their religion or they are not pursuing the true teachings of thier religion and mostly are not even bothering to, what do you think, why is that? Could it be that we humans do not understand the necessity of religion of ones life? Many people seems to beieve that that they do not need religion, they can even live without, with peace. People do not need religion then why should they follow it?

I'm just saying that the problem is that people aren't following the teachings of their religions. Most religions teach us to love, forgive, have mercy, be compassionate, fight injustice, be righteous, etc. If all people who claim a religion would actually follow those teachings, the world would change overnight.

gdh024

The scriptures I adhere to teach the purpose of creation as being a place whereon men and women could dwell to learn to develop and control the desires, appetites and passions of the flesh. The spirit of man/woman learns to act in unison with the body. Without being taught the doctrine of the purpose of life then we will surely fall into the carnal, competitive nature of man described in this post above. When we can turn to the spiritual dimension of life, then we can make sense of the experiences we have here. All these things can be for our good if we let them change us. This leads us to the atonement of Jesus Christ. One of our apostles has said that because of the atonement of Jesus Christ we can learn from our experiences without being condemned by them. Religion teaches these true doctrines and principles. Once we have studied, pondered and prayed then we can learn from God if these things are true. He will answer our prayers if we seek Him diligently with a sincere heart, real intent, having faith in Christ, then He can manifest the truth unto us. Once we know which religion is true, then we have direction. Then we come to understand why religion is important, it gives us reasons to live true to God. It also lays out a series of steps to take to return to His presence. We have meaning, guidance, strength to do good and become good. There are many voices about which religion is true. Many claim part of the truth but to have purity in thought, one has to take the journey to find the truth. I believe there is one true religion. It is definitely worth finding.

psylient

I never said I was overlooking "negatives," but the entirety of your OP fixates on negatives and speaks nothing of the positives. You seem to be striving for a state of "perfection" that I not only believe does not exist, but if it did exist, would be highly undesirable and literally require the end of reality.

Eeeeh.... reality doesn't really work that way, but if that's the way you choose to see things... whatever is your cup of tea, sir. :shrug:
What is reality and how it is related to perfection? Reality is never perfect and ' PERFECTION ' is never a real thing. Perfection is the desire of thought which it wants to project in this reality. The difference between of these two is same as those of 'how it is' and 'how it should be' or 'actual' and 'ideal'. But we all pursue the ideal, aren't we? look all those religions they all says you to pursue ideal, why do they say that? and why do we pursue ideal? is it not in the hope that by pursuing the ideal there is a possibilty in the change of actual? This change will be toward of perfection but not exactly perfect, my question to you why do you pursue an ideal while you do not believe in perfection? Now do not tell me you do not pursue any ideal, all the religion more all less teaches some virtues which are ideals in themselves.

I think it matter of perspective then the reality, a fish who goes with the flow believes that this is how the reality runs while the fish who has energy can go against the flow !!

gdh024

I agree. Most religions teach great values. If people would adhere to those values and morals then the world would be a much better place to live.

psylient

Religion is/should be a quality of life and happiness thing.

Replace religion with "a proper, good diet" in your questions and think about the answers.
haha I understand because this is what the people are pursuing as a religion, materialism gives you pleasure and reliefs with ease hence world has forgotten the actual religion.

psylient

I'm just saying that the problem is that people aren't following the teachings of their religions. Most religions teach us to love, forgive, have mercy, be compassionate, fight injustice, be righteous, etc. If all people who claim a religion would actually follow those teachings, the world would change overnight.
So it would but such virtues are not the characteristics of self centered psyche. Man who is selfless in his activity and thought is only capable to possess these gems thats why it is very difficult in this world where materislism valued more than these gems.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
So it would but such virtues are not the characteristics of self centered psyche. Man who is selfless in his activity and thought is only capable to possess these gems thats why it is very difficult in this world where materislism valued more than these gems.

:yes: