• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Romney Is Clearly Ahead In The Most Deterministic Metric

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The eyes have it - WWW.THEDAILY.COM

According to the analysis of Joseph Tecce, a Boston College psychophysiologist who has spent decades studying the body language of
presidential hopefuls, the candidate who blinks more during debates has lost every election but one since 1980. The lone exception was in 2000,
when a faster-blinking George W. Bush bested Al Gore in the electoral college ... but lost the popular vote.

This year, Romney seems to be an early favorite to blink less, based on Tecce’s analysis of the candidates’ most-recent convention speeches.
Romney blinked 33 times a minute during his acceptance address, while Obama did 41 times a minute.
Still, Tecce said, he expects the blinking contest will be tight.

I'll tell ya....the reasons we vote for people are strange indeed.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This is really stupid.
It's actually sort of interesting. I'd heard before that to not blink can suggest power.
Does blinking reflect something about the candidate? Or does is the public adversely affected by the blinking?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
It's actually sort of interesting. I'd heard before that to not blink can suggest power.
Does blinking reflect something about the candidate? Or does is the public adversely affected by the blinking?

I've also heard that if you look to the right when speaking, you're not being honest, and that's sometimes a load of crap.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Now, that I think about it, there is something to the "go without blinking thing". Have you ever had a staring contest with a cat? :)

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I doubt it has any impact on voters. Perhaps the eventual losers were more nervous.
Exactly. It's that pesky causation vs correlation thing. Blinking wasn't likely causing voters to vote one way or the other. Something else may have, or else it could just be a random correlation.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
You know what's truly frightening about this thread? Thanks to the current quality of GOP arguments, I honestly can't tell who's joking, and who's playing along. And yet, this is still a contest.

Think about that for a bit.

Alceste

Vagabond
You know what's truly frightening about this thread? Thanks to the current quality of GOP arguments, I honestly can't tell who's joking, and who's playing along. And yet, this is still a contest.

Think about that for a bit.

I'd say things are getting desperate. :D

Skwim

Veteran Member
ROMNEY IS DEAD IN THE WATER, and it all comes down to the math.

Only 50% of major party whites running for President of The United States have won the election,
while 100% of major party blacks running for President of The United States have won the election.

∴ If you want to be president you have twice the chance of succeeding if you're black than if you're white. :shrug:

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There might be something to it. I remembered something about Michael Caine not blinking when he played a gangster.

Excerpt from Michael Caine’s book “Acting in Film“.
I don’t blink. Blinking makes your character seem weak. Try it yourself: say the same line twice, first blinking and then not blinking. I practiced not blinking to excess when I first made this discovery, went around not blinking all the time and probably disconcerted a lot of people. But by not blinking you will appear strong on screen. Remember: on film that eye can be eight feet across.

Last edited:

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
I think Obama and Romney are good friends really ;)

tumblr_mbcrowbMHE1rqje5to1_500.jpg

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I wouldn't be so dismissive, tbh. Movement analysis is my field of expertise, and a few of my colleagues specialize in political speech and debate. Karen Bradley has been featured on CNN Politics, has written for the Wall Street Journal, and has been cited for her scholarship on movement analysis in politics. She has a lot to say about how candidates influence the vote based on their posture, use of gesture, how posture and gesture work together, and how they shape themselves in the space around them. She is a close colleague and a good friend of mine.

I mean, I personally wouldn't call eye-blinking the "most deterministic metric", but I understand how candidates can influence a population based on things that have nothing to do with the issues.

As far as I'm concerned, it's how Reagan, Clinton, and Obama were elected. They knew how to speak, stand, and gesture in a way that offers a non-verbal communication message to an audience that says, "You can trust me."

Movement analysis is much more complex than the pop culture schlock that has been quoted like Dawn has mentioned before....look to the right, and you're lying.....it's ridiculous. Movement analysis is a measure of how in tune somebody's spinal movement is with their gestural movement. Observers will tune in more to speakers/movers who match them well and will either ignore or be turned off by speakers/movers who don't match spinal with gestural movement well.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I wouldn't be so dismissive, tbh. Movement analysis is my field of expertise, and a few of my colleagues specialize in political speech and debate. Karen Bradley has been featured on CNN Politics, has written for the Wall Street Journal, and has been cited for her scholarship on movement analysis in politics. She has a lot to say about how candidates influence the vote based on their posture, use of gesture, how posture and gesture work together, and how they shape themselves in the space around them. She is a close colleague and a good friend of mine.

I mean, I personally wouldn't call eye-blinking the "most deterministic metric", but I understand how candidates can influence a population based on things that have nothing to do with the issues.

As far as I'm concerned, it's how Reagan, Clinton, and Obama were elected. They knew how to speak, stand, and gesture in a way that offers a non-verbal communication message to an audience that says, "You can trust me."

Movement analysis is much more complex than the pop culture schlock that has been quoted like Dawn has mentioned before....look to the right, and you're lying.....it's ridiculous. Movement analysis is a measure of how in tune somebody's spinal movement is with their gestural movement. Observers will tune in more to speakers/movers who match them well and will either ignore or be turned off by speakers/movers who don't match spinal with gestural movement well.
Don't worry, Heather... nobody thinks what you do is this dumb. :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You're completely & absolutely wrong. Minimal eye blinking is the most important thing in a leader.
(Ever notice that terminators don't blink at all?) I propose that we install eye-blink counting machines on all candidates.
The machine will pick the winners for us. Voters just can't be trusted to count accurately & vote correctly.

Last edited: