• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saints and their role

I have been very interested recently if there are any religions that specifically focus on venerations of saints, particularly Catholic saints. I was raised Catholic, going to Catholic schools for most of my life, but I never felt as much of a connection to the idea of 'God' or Jesus than I did to the saints. I would always find myself asking saints for guidance, wisdom or help. I know that Lutherans and Anglicans venerate the saints, and they are also important in Orthodox churches, but are there any subsets that have more of a focus on the saints? Thanks for the help

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
No. Christianity is about worshiping God, not humans. The saints are still just humans, but holy ones. They can do nothing without God. So you won't find any denomination of Christianity that focuses on the saints.

Maybe you're thinking of something like Voodoo and other African-descended religions that use Catholic saints in place of the Loa (spirits).

Heyo

Veteran Member
I know that Lutherans and Anglicans venerate the saints,
Depends on your definition of "venerate". I'd say that Lutherans recognise some of the saints but with the exception of Saint Nicholas of Myra none have any relevance in Lutheran religion.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I have been very interested recently if there are any religions that specifically focus on venerations of saints, particularly Catholic saints. I was raised Catholic, going to Catholic schools for most of my life, but I never felt as much of a connection to the idea of 'God' or Jesus than I did to the saints. I would always find myself asking saints for guidance, wisdom or help. I know that Lutherans and Anglicans venerate the saints, and they are also important in Orthodox churches, but are there any subsets that have more of a focus on the saints? Thanks for the help
Don't they already?

I remember people putting in classified ads all the time about the various catholic saints.