• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Same God?

Kerr

Hi all.

There is something I have wondered but that is a bit confusing for me about Abrahamic religions. Some people say it is the same God in all of them, other say not... can anyone straighten this out? Or does it depend on your perspective? Sorry if the question sounds strange, it is just a bit... confusing.

Beyond that I wish you a good day.

Take care,
Kerr.

Mr Cheese

It depends on who you ask..and what version you are looking at...

Lets begin at the end and work back

Islam sees itself as the completion of Judaism
and as such also chrsianity...
Christians got it wrong by proclaiming the prophet jesus is/was the son of God
Islam sees everyone as Muslim

Christianity of course arguably is "messianic Judaism" largely. We can see this in the fact that Orthodox Christian Sabbath follows that of judaism.

Of course Christianity is perhaps the most puzzling. There are many sect...many gropus all feeding off of one another... compound this witht he fact that Christianity even in the early days was a mass of numerous sects, all thinking their view was correct.

Judaism itself of course began it all....although some argue Judaism is a product of Pagan worship... and other things

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Hi all.

There is something I have wondered but that is a bit confusing for me about Abrahamic religions. Some people say it is the same God in all of them, other say not... can anyone straighten this out? Or does it depend on your perspective? Sorry if the question sounds strange, it is just a bit... confusing.

Beyond that I wish you a good day.

Take care,
Kerr.

It's a different god when they're arguing amongst themselves. It's the same god when they're arguing with atheists.

Evee

It's always the same god, G-d. Written in Hebrew with the letters YHVH, mistakenly translated as Jehovah by many Christians, called Allah by Muslims (that is the Name, right? Not just a title?) We all just have VERY different ideas of what He's like and how He wants us to worship Him.

xkatz

While all claim to have the same god, there are some differences. The Judaism/Christianity refers to god as El/Jehovah (or Yehewah), who actually was a god of the pantheon of Canaanite people (he was the god of wisdom and compassion). Islam refers to god as Allah, who was part of the Arab pantheon of gods (I believe he was the god of life or the desert, I could be wrong though). Although "god" has different origins in all of the Abrahamic faiths, they do believe in the same god, they claim. However, the way they treat one another and the theological differences make that claim debatable.

arimoff

It is same G-D, the only difference sit hat all 3 claim to be the authentic one.
Torah gives grate details about it.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I understand historically how the three religions are connected, but I don't see how you can say they are the same God, at least, if you are taking one of the religions to be true. On the face of it, we have three different religions who describe God and how he wants to be worshiped, very differently. That makes the God different. It would be like saying that Merlin, Gandalf, and Odin are the same person. Sure, they share a common ancestry, but they resulted in different people.

If it is the same God in all three religions, then technically, it shouldn't matter which religion you joined. The Abrahamic religions are really just one big religion, and they are just sects of it. But it is strange that the same God, supposing he actually exists, would have been interpreted three different ways.

Or, perhaps only one of the religions got it right. If the God is the same for all three, then God would have to be very angry with the other two for slandering him.

Last edited:

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
It's the same God. Judaism sees Christians as worshipping the same God and (if they don't believe Jesus is God) it also sees Christians as righteous gentiles. Muslims are considered fully within Jewish law pertaining to them and, thus, are correct in their beliefs.

In essence, Abraham is seen as the one who re-introduced the concept of one God to mankind in a time when polytheistic paganism was prevalent. Those religions which are monotheistic generally have some connection to Abraham or Judaism.

Besides that, Judaism teaches that there is only one God. That means that Hindus, Buddhists, Confuscianists, Taoists, etc etc etc etc etc ad infinitum that worship God(s) are seeing the one true God from their various perspectives.

Metalic Wings

Ditto.

I was going to try to draw a good conclusion, but really I'd just be repeating everyone before me.
I vote that they believe in the same God without realizing it and placing themselves above everyone else.

arimoff

Or, perhaps only one of the religions got it right. If the God is the same for all three, then God would have to be very angry with the other two for slandering him.

Right on the target. That is exactly what is happening, everybody believing in the same G-D should bring peace to the world, but the problem is in the core of believes, each one claiming that they are right.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Judaism itself of course began it all...

Judaism itself points to Noah and the Covenant that G-d makes with mankind as the beginning of organized Abrahamic religion.

It's certainly the same G-d, just viewed through different cultural lenses.

Ever hear the story 'The Blind Men and the Elephant'?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It's three different gods, of course. Just like you sometimes have three related but different characters in a work of fiction.

Kerr

So it seems that most people say that it is the same God, just different ideas of what he wants and how to please him and so? To put it simple.

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
There are 6 billion people on his planet not counting extraterrestrials. therefore I conclude there are at least 6 billion versions of god available, some close and some far fetched but not one has been proved to be real.

Cheers

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
Ever hear the story 'The Blind Men and the Elephant'?
What has this story to do with any of Abrahamic traditions:confused:It is dharmic story started by Jains,then adapted by the west (and the Sufis).

Isnt Abrahamic God omnipresent?If he is so,then he is present everywhere.That negates the possibility of any other god(which will then become the part of the first god).

If the three gods are different,then none of them is omnipresent.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
What has this story to do with any of Abrahamic traditions:confused:It is dharmic story started by Jains,then adapted by the west (and the Sufis).
What does its origin matter? The message is quite relevant.

Isnt Abrahamic God omnipresent?If he is so,then he is present everywhere.That negates the possibility of any other god(which will then become the part of the first god).
Why? Omnipresence doesn't preclude independent beings (like humans).

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
What does its origin matter? The message is quite relevant.
None of these religions actually have this story to validate other ones.Tough,you may still use the teaching.

Why? Omnipresence doesn't preclude independent beings (like humans).
I wonder how this question comes up in abrahamic religions.Omnipresence means the God pervades creation.Am I right?If the God is in "immanent" to the creation as well as "transcendent".Then,there cannot be anything "outside" god.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
None of these religions actually have this story to validate other ones.
Huh?

Tough,you may still use the teaching.
Oh, good! I was waiting for your permission. :rolleyes:

I wonder how this question comes up in abrahamic religions.Omnipresence means the God pervades creation.Am I right?If the God is in "immanent" to the creation as well as "transcendent".Then,there cannot be anything "outside" god.
Yeah, it does sound rather panentheistic.