• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saving "Saving Private Ryan"

Doc

Space Chief
I thought it was kind of insulting that many of the stations refused to show Saving Private Ryan because of the swearing. They will keep crap on like Jerry Springer, but refuse to honor those that died for our country. War is not a picnic and people don't say "Oh golly that was close" while being shot at. I think that refusing to broadcast one of the most realistic war movies in honor of the dead was cowardly. They have done it before but because of the last superbowl incident the FCC is much too overprotective. What do you think?

Ceridwen018

people don't say "Oh golly that was close" while being shot at.
I absolutely agree. I have never actually seen Saving Private Ryan, although I have heard tell of it's greatness. Even so, I agree with you whole heartedly in principle. I suppose this is one of those, "Well, if I were President..." types of things. It is very frustrating.

Doc

Space Chief
It is a magnificent movie displaying the true heroism and people that were the soldiers. Not just a bunch of guys shooting and blowing things up like some other movies portray them!

robtex

Veteran Member
Doc I heard that too while listening to the radio on the way to work. I know they said it was for the swearing but I am thinking that ain't it. When the movie first came out it was so realistic that there were some reports of vets getting unsettled by it. I am not sure of the numbers of the dept of the problem but counselors were set up to help and the VA set this site up
http://www1.va.gov/pubaff/ptsdprtr.htm

I am thinking that the tv stations seeing how emotional the impact was on some thought that maybe kids would have more access to the movie if it went on television. I am thinking that had more of an impact as to why it wasn't shown on tv than cussing did. Not sure though.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
robtex said:
Doc I heard that too while listening to the radio on the way to work. I know they said it was for the swearing but I am thinking that ain't it. When the movie first came out it was so realistic that there were some reports of vets getting unsettled by it. I am not sure of the numbers of the dept of the problem but counselors were set up to help and the VA set this site up
http://www1.va.gov/pubaff/ptsdprtr.htm

I am thinking that the tv stations seeing how emotional the impact was on some thought that maybe kids would have more access to the movie if it went on television. I am thinking that had more of an impact as to why it wasn't shown on tv than cussing did. Not sure though.
My eldest daughter watched it with me when it was on tv over here. She was only about 3 at the time (you have to understand, my kids are basically immune to movies; they'll sit there and watch the goriest horror movie and then tell you what other films the actors have been in). She sat there watching the opening scene where they're storming the beach with her mouth hanging open, and then she just said,'They're dead.' I said something along the lines of, 'no they're not, it's a movie, you know that.' and she replied,'No, you don't understand...those people are DEAD. They're really dead.'
I've never seen her react that way to a movie before or since. I imagine it would give a lot of kids nightmares...it was extremely realistic according to my grandfather.

skills101

Vicar of Christ
Doc said:
I thought it was kind of insulting that many of the stations refused to show Saving Private Ryan because of the swearing. They will keep crap on like Jerry Springer, but refuse to honor those that died for our country. War is not a picnic and people don't say "Oh golly that was close" while being shot at. I think that refusing to broadcast one of the most realistic war movies in honor of the dead was cowardly. They have done it before but because of the last superbowl incident the FCC is much too overprotective. What do you think?
I do think Saving Private Ryan was possibly the best movie I've ever seen, and I'd be happy to watch it on the television. But honestly, it has no place on public television; I personally have the DVD and wouldn't want to watch it any other way. Anybody who CAN get their hands on it is probably responsible enough to watch it.

I don't consider it dishonorary, dishonorary is having the history channel not put on a documentary for whatever reason.

huajiro

:sarcastic Yeah, let's flash Janet Jackson's boobs instead of showing a film that does show what true heroes have done for us.

linwood

This isn`t the networks/stations fault.

Right before veterens day the FCC levelled a $500,000 fine on CBS? for the Janet Jackson breast debacle.

They didn`t have much time to debate the possibilities and I`m not sure I would have risked it myself.
Thats alot of money.

On the flip side many stations did risk it and it was shown in alot of places.

I think its a movie that should be shown every veterens day.
It was truly magnificent and unique in the war movie genre.
Unique because it was true and realistic...it scared the hell out of me anyway.
:)

huajiro

linwood said:
This isn`t the networks/stations fault.

Right before veterens day the FCC levelled a $500,000 fine on CBS? for the Janet Jackson breast debacle.

They didn`t have much time to debate the possibilities and I`m not sure I would have risked it myself.
Thats alot of money.

On the flip side many stations did risk it and it was shown in alot of places.

I think its a movie that should be shown every veterens day.
It was truly magnificent and unique in the war movie genre.
Unique because it was true and realistic...it scared the hell out of me anyway.
:)
Have you seen Band of Brothers?

It is good too, you can buy the set of dvd's and make a weekend out of it

linwood

huajiro said:
Have you seen Band of Brothers?

It is good too, you can buy the set of dvd's and make a weekend out of it
I`ve been hearing alot of good things about the show/series?

I haven`t seen it but I do intend to, too many people have been telling how good it is .

mrscardero

Kal-El's Mama
Doc said:
Melting_iceline.gif

Great Movie...one of the movies I seen more than once.