• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sciatica, anyone?

Jedster

I was recently struck with sciatica and would like to hear from those that have or have had it.
How did you handle it?. In particular have you used any injections (eg epidural.)?

I am finding it really hard to deal with.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jedster

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
I was recently struck with sciatica and would like to hear from those that have or have had it.
How did you handle it?. In particular have you used any injections (eg epidural.)?

Jedster
I had it in the form of sharp stinging pain down one of my legs

My physiotherapist gave me some stretches and it went away

I had it with back pain from a bulging disc in my spine

RestlessSoul

I have to stand up a lot at work, and this can bring on pains in my buttock and leg. What helps is to keep moving. It can persist for days, sometimes many days, but it always goes away in the end. Physiotherapy can help, and there's some video links here to exercises you can easily learn

Exercises for sciatica problems

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Sciatica is bloody horrible, and there are no meds that will help it. The opioids I took after spine surgery were totally ineffective against sciatica (I've had 3 bouts during my life, and really, really, really hope never to have another).

@Yerda gives the best suggestion in those stretching exercises. Sciatica is caused by compressed or pinched nerves, and depending on where the pinch is, you'll often find the stretch that works best for you.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree with @Yerda as well. Stretching relieved and ultimately resolved my sciatica.

If the pain is unbearable and the naproxen sodium isn't touching it, you can also talk to a doctor about Cymbalta or Gabapentin.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I've had it for years due to Degenerative Disc Disease. My first cortisone injection worked wonderfully with no pain for 2 years. I've tried 3 afterwards that didn't touch it. I've learned by trial and error what works for me. Sleeping with certain pillow placement support. No inclined sitting, but straight, with legs raised. A short, brisk walk everyday. And surprisingly enough, what causes my worse flares are digestive issues. Irritated or overly strained intestinal conditions press that nerve with more intensity than bulging disc ever did.

Trial and error -- and good luck!

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I've already found out that pain killers don't relieve the pain. I am taking some opiates, which do provide some relief and have helped in other ways.
Opiates address musculoskeletal pain; the do nothing for nerve pain, which is the type of pain sciatica brings. Both of the meds I mention above are specifically for nerve pain. I know less about Cymbalta, but I do know one builds up a tolerance to Gabapentin rather quickly and the dose eventually needs to be raised to unsafe levels to have any effect.

Jedster

@Spice @SalixIncendium

Spice: thanks for the info. I will go for an injection if the pain doesn't reduce in the next few weeks.
Salix : Hmm interesting. I shall ask my doctor why he gave me the Pregabalin Laurus. I do remember the doctor saying that the leg muscles were tight or similar.

Anyway, meanwhile I will continue with stretching and other exercises.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
I have to stand up a lot at work, and this can bring on pains in my buttock and leg. What helps is to keep moving. It can persist for days, sometimes many days, but it always goes away in the end. Physiotherapy can help, and there's some video links here to exercises you can easily learn

Exercises for sciatica problems
If you have to do a lot of stranding turn the toe inward on the painful side so that leg is slightly pidgeon toed. This will stretch the Sciatic nerve as you stand.

LadyJane

I got prescribed that but did not take it due to its many side effects and the fact that it is highly addictive

Took paracetamol instead
I used Tylenol 3 in conjunction with Pregabalin for pain. I didn't notice much relief of the nerve pain but did notice it elevated my mood slightly. Temporarily.

I think pregabalin (Lyrica) is given for diabetic nerve pain. Maybe it works for them. I don't know. Apparently, according to doctors, you need to take it regularly and have it in your system for the best results.

I had sciatica once years ago. A stranger suggested Robaxacet Platinum and I bought it out of sheer desperation. And it worked like a charm.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Jedster
First of all make sure your doctor agrees that you do have sciatica.

Other ailments can seem like it. For example your leg nerve can get caught in connective tissues and tight muscle areas, and this can be relieved somewhat through various specialized actions. Often the treatment is physical therapy.

Secondly there are supplements which might help even sciatica. Here is a link to begin researching it and whether it will help you to relieve your nerve pain, and yes I did try this myself though I cannot definitively state that it was what relieved my problems since I also took physical therapy. (It turned out I didn't have sciatica):

Jedster

First of all make sure your doctor agrees that you do have sciatica.

Other ailments can seem like it. For example your leg nerve can get caught in connective tissues and tight muscle areas, and this can be relieved somewhat through various specialized actions. Often the treatment is physical therapy.

Secondly there are supplements which might help even sciatica. Here is a link to begin researching it and whether it will help you to relieve your nerve pain, and yes I did try this myself though I cannot definitively state that it was what relieved my problems since I also took physical therapy. (It turned out I didn't have sciatica):
Thanks very much. Vey informative. I'll give it slow read.
Coincidentally my mother's maiden name was Teitelbaum.

Have a great day.

Jedster