• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Science without Spirituality is blind (y/n)?

Select the ones you agree with:

• 1: Spirituality without Science is lame

• 2: Science without Spirituality is blind

Results are only viewable after voting.

stvdv

Veteran Member
1: Spirituality's core is selfless (egoless) Love
2: Science demands evidence, facts, proofs

Hence:
Selfless Love doesn't fall under Science

Therefore:
Spirituality without Science is lame
Science without Spirituality is blind
Example: inventing, producing mass destruction weapons like Atom bomb, hydrogen bomb, deadly viruses, deadly poisons or worse.

Scientists should think twice before inventing something, hence, they need Spirituality, foresight, compassion, empathy.

Don't play with fire if you don't want to get burned.

Scientists can control themselves, but they can't control the misuse of their inventions (by terrorists, dictators etc.).

Therefore, both Science and Spirituality are essential and needed for humanity to prosper

RestlessSoul

Our human experience depends upon mind, body, and spirit. Remove any of these pillars, and we become unbalanced, like a two legged stool.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

Define "spirituality".

Example: inventing, producing mass destruction weapons like Atom bomb, hydrogen bomb, deadly viruses, deadly poisons or worse.

Science is responsible for figuring out how atoms work, explained through atomic theory.
Politicians decide on and commission projects to use atomic theory to build nuclear bombs.

There is nothing in science that says we should build nuclear bombs.
Science merely provides knowledge on how atoms work. This allows for building nukes. It also allows for building medical equipment that saves lives.
What actually gets build is then decided by engineers, companies, governments, etc.

Scientists should think twice before inventing something, hence, they need Spirituality, foresight, compassion, empathy.
Scientists can control themselves, but they can't control the misuse of their inventions (by terrorists, dictators etc.).
Therefore, both Science and Spirituality are essential and needed for humanity to prosper

So what's your point?
Science shouldn't have explained / figured out how atoms work?

Einstein's work allowed for building nukes.
Shouldn't he have done his work? Shouldn't he have figured out E = mc² or relativity?
How do your OP options apply to his work?

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
Not all spirituality leads to selflessness and love. In fact, empathy, compassion and love do not require spirituality either.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I became a scientist and did a post-graduate degree because of religion in a very direct way. If we all go and read the full context of the quotes that @McBell graciously provided, it pretty much captures the spirit of why that happens not just for me but for scientists just in general and why I call science a fundamentally religious endeavor:

"Though religion may be that which determines the goal, it has, nevertheless, learned from science, in the broadest sense, what means will contribute to the attainment of the goals it has set up. But science can only be created by those who are thoroughly imbued with the aspiration toward truth and understanding. This source of feeling, however, springs from the sphere of religion. To this there also belongs the faith in the possibility that the regulations valid for the world of existence are rational, that is, comprehensible to reason. I cannot conceive of a genuine scientist without that profound faith."​

Neither can I. Every scientist I've ever worked with has been an insufferable nerd (I mean that in a loving way) questing for deep meaning and understanding of the world. That's a religious impulse - knowing who you are and your place in the world. To leave with this quote:

"And so it seems to me that science not only purifies the religious impulse of the dross of its anthropomorphism but also contributes to a religious spiritualization of our understanding of life."

Well said, sir.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Does contain an essential error though
But that error I've seen in 50% of the sites
On this particular quote...funny coincidence
I am interested in the "essential error" you claim the one who coined the quote made in explaining what he means by the quote.

Muffled

Jesus in me

Hence:

Therefore:

Example
: inventing, producing mass destruction weapons like Atom bomb, hydrogen bomb, deadly viruses, deadly poisons or worse.

I believe I agree with the conclusion. Science can help us understand the Bible better and the Bible can help put science in perspective.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Our human experience depends upon mind, body, and spirit. Remove any of these pillars, and we become unbalanced, like a two legged stool.
I believe also there is philosophy, psychology, and mysticism which are not scientific or theological.