• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scientology living with it

Carl

I started this thread in the Scientology forum and then reckoned it would get the exposure I was looking for as everybody there would be fairly biased!

Rather than court the usual critiscms and links to Xenu, Clambrake, etc etc, I would like to hear from others out there who may have a spouse, partner etc who is a scientologist and how they deal (handle!) with it. There is very little information on the experiences of those who find out that their loved one is a scientologist. The common thinking is that scientologists do not look outside their religion for partners, well not in my case. I am a skeptic of the highest order, an aetheist but hopefully open minded enough to recognise that others find comfort in religion. My partner is perhaps unusual in scientology circles in that I do not see the blinkered and obsessive fanatiscm that is written about, I would like to hear from others in similar situations.
If I had believed everything bad written about scientology I would of missed out on the love of my life. Don't get me wrong I'm not about to connect myself up to an E meter and pay a fortune for the priviledge of hearing myself talk, but perhaps there are more moderate Scientologists out there than the press would have you believe who are open to more ideas than just LRH's.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Hello, again, Carl. I felt concerned that you might not be aware, so I thought I should give you a heads-up. As far as I know, we don't have any Scientology members. I just didn't want you to think that people were giving you the silent treatment. :)

Carl

Not a problem. Hey if no one replys it means I'm on my own breaking the moulds! I'm not necessarily looking for scientologists but those who come into contact with them.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Carl said:
Not a problem. Hey if no one replys it means I'm on my own breaking the moulds! I'm not necessarily looking for scientologists but those who come into contact with them.
i have never knowingly come into contact with a scientologist, so i don't actually fully understand your beliefs beyond what ive read on the internet - (which is a totally reliable source :sarcastic )

should we/do we have a different thread for scientologist's beliefs?

C_P

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I was approached by scientologists; one day, during my lunch hour from work, I found myself filling in an endless questionnaire. The longer I was there, the more people were around me.

I was litterally dragged to a shop they had rented, and felt pressurized into buying Hubbards book. I didn't buy it, of course, two months later, I noticed that there had been so many complaints about them that they had been banned fro roaming around the town centre.

Carl

corrupt_priest said:
i have never knowingly come into contact with a scientologist, so i don't actually fully understand your beliefs beyond what ive read on the internet - (which is a totally reliable source :sarcastic )

should we/do we have a different thread for scientologist's beliefs?

C_P
Please don't misunderstand me, I am not a scientologist. My partner is. This thread would serve no purpose on the scientology forum as I am interested in people who have no prior knowledge of the religion to give their opinions.