• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

scriptural contradictions

I just got done reading my copy of A Notable Biblical Reference Manual, which is a supposed list of every supposed contradiction in the Christian Bible, and Ia m wondering, is there such a resource for any of the other major religions? Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim have been exposed to western secularism and science etc., for a few hundred years so I'd think that especially Hindus (as say, more tolerant than Islam towards dissent) and Buddhists (driven by Marx oriented governments) would have by now taken a shot at debunking their religions?

I myself am religious btw,
I'm hoping for english translated works?

anyone know any author?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I obviously cant speak for all Buddhist traditions and schools, but there are true contradictions found in some Buddhist texts such as that in the writings Dogen has produced. Difference being the contradictions remain quite true when approached in a particular perspective, but in changing the way of approach the contradictions dissolves away. Essentially there are true contradictions and at the same time there are none, and both views are quite accurate.

As I heard said, "Humans and their works are full of contradictions. Live with it." :)

logician

I obviously cant speak for all Buddhist traditions and schools, but there are true contradictions found in some Buddhist texts such as that in the writings Dogen has produced. Difference being the contradictions remain quite true when approached in a particular perspective, but in changing the way of approach the contradictions dissolves away. Essentially there are true contradictions and at the same time there are none, and both views are quite accurate.

As I heard said, "Humans and their works are full of contradictions. Live with it." :)

Are you implying the contradictions should be dismissed as inconsequetial?:sleep:

Diane Vera

Jayhawker Soule wrote:
I'd also suggest that the compulsion of few small minds to wallow in and draw comfort from these contradictions says a great deal.
What the contradictions show is that a particular writing is not both literally true and infallible.

This is, of course, important only if one either believes in or is in process of rejecting a religion based on writings that are claimed to be both literally true and infallible in the first place.