• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Second Term is Met by a Mourning March

Rex

Founder
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Man do I love New Orleans. - Rex[/font]​
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]​
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Second Term is Met by a Mourning March
Protesters Host Mock Funeral Near Quarter

[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]by Lynne Jensen[/font]​
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

As President Bush began his second term Thursday in Washington, about 1,500 people marched from Congo Square to Jackson Square in New Orleans to mourn the occasion.

"We should not be inflicting democracy in other parts of the world when we don't have democracy here in America," said Buddy Spell, primary organizer of the Jazz Funeral for Democracy, planned by an ad hoc group called the January 20 Coalition that includes military veterans, gay rights activists and civil rights groups.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
0121-21.jpg

Jazz Funeral for Democracy
More pictures
[/font]Spell, a criminal defense lawyer and Covington resident, led the parade with his wife, Annie, who pulled their daughter, Sarah, 6, in a tie-dyed wagon.

Steps behind the Spell family, the Treme Brass Band played dirges and a pair of horses pulled a mock coffin containing copies of the Patriot Act and the U.S. Constitution. And marchers dressed primarily in black carried signs protesting the war in Iraq, cutbacks at Charity Hospital and the possibility that the Iberville public housing complex may meet the wrecking ball.

Cutbacks at Charity "kill people just as surely as bomb fragments in Iraq," said community activist Mike Howells. The goal of the jazz funeral is to spark "a movement for social justice and peace," he said.

Among the many marchers carrying video cameras was New Orleans Center for Creative Arts teacher Connie Kringas, who filmed the funeral for her middle school students. They are learning about the democratic process while studying "Hamlet," she said.

The students are comparing Hamlet to John Kerry "because he is a person with a lot of words but ineffectual," Kringas said. Like Claudius, Bush is "so sure of himself but lacks understanding of the real meaning of things," she said.

One marcher wore a Bush mask and simulated bloodied hands with red paint. Some marchers wore skeleton masks and many others carried placards with slogans such as "Stop the 9/11 cover-up," "Electile dysfunction" and "Don't take away our Social Security."

Marriah Brooks, 65, traveled to New Orleans from Washington State to carry a sign that read, "Bombs for peace is like sex for virginity."

Brooks said she headed to town "on a whim" after learning about the march on the Internet.

A family from Croatia participated in the march because they are against the war.

Tanja Pavlovic , who is attending Tulane University, went to Congo Square with her sister, Andrea Kozar, who is visiting New Orleans with her daughter, Dora, 9.

"We thought it was important for her to be here," Pavlovic said about her niece.

"We support all this and most also do in Croatia," Kozar said.

Some marchers wore white armbands in support of bringing American troops home from Iraq.

"We should walk with our hearts broken for our country," said New Orleans engineer Bob Smith. The march is "a very solemn occasion," he said.

Harv Adams of Meraux served for 22 years in the Navy and watched the procession from the Rampart Street neutral ground. Wearing a "W" cap and a "Bush country" T-shirt, he sat in a yellow canvas folding chair flanked by a pair of American flags and two signs: "God bless the USA and President Bush" and "62,000,000 Americans can't be wrong."

Adams listened to the inauguration on a portable radio as the funeral procession passed and some marchers respectfully questioned his views.

"I'm going to be the most nonconfrontational guy here," Adams said. "The majority of Americans agree with Bush and that we're on the right side here," regarding the war in Iraq.

The marchers are liberal Democrats who need to realize "they lost" the presidential election, he said.

As the jazz funeral proceeded toward the Mississippi River on Canal Street, the number of marchers swelled to about 1,500, police said. Their reception was mainly supportive, with streetcar riders signaling "thumbs up" and tourists gleefully snapping pictures.

But Dan Palmer, a Republican from Florida in town for a meeting of medical business personnel, chuckled as he strolled along Canal Street with a colleague in a suit and tie.

"The bottom line is it's a free country and we won the election," Palmer said. "They can protest all they want."

As the Treme band played and marchers turned onto South Peters Street, Canal Place sales clerks watched alongside mannequins in store windows.

The jazz funeral stopped at the amphitheater across from Jackson Square, where speeches were delivered before marchers capped the day's event at Frenchmen Street with more speeches and music.

The jazz funeral was "something I felt I had to see," said Stevie Williams, 21, a Tulane journalism student from Oklahoma who said she is bartending to pay tuition.

"While I do agree that Bush was elected, this is more about his ideology," Williams said at the amphitheater. "As an impoverished queer transgendered student, he is not representing my best interests. I love my country but fear my government. That's why I'm here."

Scattered protests similar to the one in New Orleans took place throughout the country Thursday.

In Seattle, more than 1,000 people participated in walkouts at the University of Washington and Seattle Central Community College.

At a mock inauguration in Baltimore, a woman wearing a Bush mask gave a pretend speech, stumbling over her words. In Louisville, Ky., protesters solemnly read the names of dead Iraqis and Americans.

[/font]

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I have no love for our pres, and the inauguration was a real pain in the butt for those of us living in DC, but I couldn't bring myself to attend any of the inaugural protests. Unless one believes that Ohio was totally fixed, one has to believe that Dubya won the election. And the inauguration, as he ineptly stated, is democracy in action. I may question some of the choices that my countrymen make but I will not protest or mourn the democratic process.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Rex_Admin said:
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Man do I love New Orleans. - Rex[/font]
Rex, I was in New Orleans on election night in 2000, and while the 20,000 neuroscientists that had descended on your town were decidedly in favor of Gore, I got the impression that the locals were more in favor of Bush. There were Bush/Cheney placards in the windows and on the beautiful wrought-iron balconies. Did I get the wrong impression?

Politics asside, New Orleans is a beautiful city, with some of the best restaurants that I've ever had the pleasure of dining in - world class.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Somehow I don't see Bushie uniting both parties in another 4 years of bliss. But maybe I'm just shortsidgted.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
TranceAm said:
You don't have to "believe" anything since they have to prove that W won. It aint a religion where the proof is somewhere beyond the pudding.
Um.... since the vote was in his favor the burden of proof is on those who say he didn't win.

TranceAm said:
Maybe you should read this next link, just a "hand" full of pictures..
Yes, a really compelling argument. :rolleyes:

Dr. Nosophoros

I don't get my head from records or CD's but after all that has been done in previous years and hearing his speech the other day, I couldn't help but be reminded of an old Motorhead song, I just hope that our congress and the American people in general have learned past lessons, anyway here's the song.

Orgasmatron- Motorhead

I am the one, Orgasmatron, the outstretched grasping hand

My image is of agony, my servants rape the land

Obsequious and arrogant, clandestine and vain

Two thousand years of misery, of torture in my name

Hypocrisy made paramount, paranoia the law

My name is called religion, sadistic, sacred whore.

I twist the truth, I rule the world, my crown is called deceit

I am the emperor of lies, you grovel at my feet

I rob you and I slaughter you, your downfall is my gain

And still you play the sycophant and revel in you pain

And all my promises are lies, all my love is hate

I am the politician, and I decide your fate

I march before a martyred world, an army for the fight

I speak of great heroic days, of victory and might

I hold a banner drenched in blood, I urge you to be brave

I lead you to your destiny, I lead you to your grave

Your bones will build my palaces, your eyes will stud my crown
For I am Mars, the god of war, and I will cut you down.

Rex

Founder
lilithu said:
Rex, I was in New Orleans on election night in 2000, and while the 20,000 neuroscientists that had descended on your town were decidedly in favor of Gore, I got the impression that the locals were more in favor of Bush. There were Bush/Cheney placards in the windows and on the beautiful wrought-iron balconies. Did I get the wrong impression?

Politics asside, New Orleans is a beautiful city, with some of the best restaurants that I've ever had the pleasure of dining in - world class.
I live in Southern Baptist land. I think that answers your question.. hehe

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
TranceAm said:
Eh no never, the burden of proof is always on the one that makes the/a claim..

There was nothing.
Someone invented in his mind an idea.
That person put the idea in the mind of his fellowmen by telling it to them.
Not all people believed in the idea.
But they had to proof that it isn't true..

NO wonder it took about 1600 years to get from a flat to a round Earth.

You claim, you proof..
Anything else is a religion or an attempt to create a religion.
(And this is the right board to discuss this.)
Dude, we're not discussing scientific theories here. There was an election. People voted. The votes were counted. The person with the most votes wins. If you want to claim that Bush did not get the most votes in Ohio, then the burden of proof is on you.

TranceAm said:
Your move.
You flatter yourself.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
WHERE HAVE ALL THE FLOWERS GONE
words and music by Pete Seeger
performed by Pete Seeger and Tao Rodriguez-Seeger

Where have all the flowers gone?
Long time passing
Long time ago
Girls have picked them every one
When will they ever learn?

Where have all the young girls gone?
Long time passing
Long time ago
Taken husbands every one

Where have all the young men gone?
Long time passing
Long time ago
Gone for soldiers every one

Where have all the soldiers gone?
Long time passing
Long time ago
Gone to graveyards every one

Where have all the graveyards gone?
Long time passing
Long time ago
Covered with flowers every one
When will we ever learn?
When will we ever learn?

©1961 (Renewed) Fall River Music Inc All Rights Reserved.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
FWIW,

Please don't think I am a supporter of King George. I have been rather constrained in my comments concerning his presidency, but things do slip out and you might do a search to see what I have said.

I was against THIS WAR from before the first shot and still see it as Bushie making a stab at being great. I earned my CO status in the trenches of the anti-Vietnam War movement, and am not about to support such a war monger.

But you wanted proof, and I would say that that his coronation is pretty good proof.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

lilithu said:

Oh yeah! :woohoo: Cafe du Monde...'nuff said.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
retrorich said:
WHERE HAVE ALL THE FLOWERS GONE
Well, if we're quoting lyrics to protest songs, no one writes them like Bob. This one I think is particularly apt for our pres and the current war:

[font=Courier, Courier New] With God On Our Side

Oh my name it is nothin'
My age it means less
The country I come from
Is called the Midwest
I's taught and brought up there
The laws to abide
And that land that I live in
Has God on its side.

Oh the history books tell it
They tell it so well
The cavalries charged