• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Secular hatred on the rise?

MotoEric

Has anyone noticed an increase in the harshness of tone going so far as vitriol in some secular groups?

I was watching the CNN show about religions (God's Warriors?) last night and there was a group in San Francisco that were staging a protest against a group of Christians that were holding a march or some meeting in public.

The protesters seemed to filled with hatred and loathing. I don't really give that too much credence as a tv editor can make things appear almost anyway they want (similar to statisticians), so I was wondering if anyone had noticed this in their own lives.

It could also easily be that the Christian group deserved it. They could have left a lot of instigating out in the editing.

I have noticed, however, other anecdotal evidence of an increasing in tensions. Everything from blogging atheists to the ramblings of pseudo intellectuals.

Thoughts?

Eric

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Hate period is on the rise, or maybe just getting more vocal. People nowadays can't just let people live the way they want to.
People (generally) don't want to accept anyone different than they are. Atheists hate religious people, religious people hate atheists, straight people hate gays so gays hate straight people. I know very well that not everybody hates, but they don't show on the news the people getting along, just the ones who hate each other. Showing people getting along doesn't get ratings.

Sorry for the rant, but that is the way I see the news nowadays.

Ozzie

Has anyone noticed an increase in the harshness of tone going so far as vitriol in some secular groups?

I was watching the CNN show about religions (God's Warriors?) last night and there was a group in San Francisco that were staging a protest against a group of Christians that were holding a march or some meeting in public.

The protesters seemed to filled with hatred and loathing. I don't really give that too much credence as a tv editor can make things appear almost anyway they want (similar to statisticians), so I was wondering if anyone had noticed this in their own lives.

It could also easily be that the Christian group deserved it. They could have left a lot of instigating out in the editing.

I have noticed, however, other anecdotal evidence of an increasing in tensions. Everything from blogging atheists to the ramblings of pseudo intellectuals.

Thoughts?

Eric
Maybe that depends where you live. The US appears far more religious than Australia. Secular groups may feel more under threat there and vocal. Most people couldn't care less here as its not a news item.