• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Secular Humanism and Unitarian Universalism

spiritually inclined

I have read that many Unitarian Universalists consider themselves Secular Humanists.

Secular Humanism is a philosophy that defines itself as non-religious in nature; adherents of this philosophy are secularists.

Unitarian Universalism, on the other hand, is defined as a religion, and is therefore more compatible with Spiritual/Religious Humanism than Secular Humanism.

Based on the definition of Secular Humanism, how can a Secular Humanist also be a Unitarian Universalist? I do not think this is impossible; it may be mere semantics.

james

applewuud

You're correct about the semantics. "Religious humanist" is a more accurate category for the typical active UU humanist, and that's the term I read the most often in these circles.

As a practical matter, in most of today's Unitarian-Universalist fellowships or churches (as opposed to those of a decade or more ago), being a "religious humanist" means that one can tolerate religious language, heritage, and story when it's used in a non-exclusive manner and not preached as the literal, infallible truth. "Accepting atheists" cuts two ways...UUs are a religious group that accepts atheists, but atheists aren't likely to be comfortable here unless they're accepting of being in dialogue with those who hold or investigate classical religious ideas.

Individual UU groups may be more or less accepting, either way. There was quite a controversy a few years ago in humanist UU circles when the president of the UUA made a statement suggesting that UU groups should "reclaim the language of reverence". It was a good debate, which is probably back there in the RF archives somewhere...