• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sexualisation of Artificial Humanoids

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
For the purposes of this discussion I was looking to examine non-'intelligent' artificial humanoids (but please feel free to comment on the other provided that you identify which you speak of)

For those that are not aware, there has been a very large degree of focus on developing artificial humanoids which have a massive potential array of possible applications in all sorts of jobs particularly where a human like interface is required for customer service. One such application that has been touted is that of the sex service industry.
What do you think of this sort of development? Do you think it would be a detriment to society (such as encouraging the objectification of people, reducing the role of humans within society and therefore the capacity of the average person to secure income)? Do you think it may alleviate some existing societal ills (such as exploitation, rape, STDs)? Do you think sex-bots are inherently different than other sorts of adult toys (such as vibrators)?

BTW For those more interested in the artificial human aspect than the robot sex aspect, Professor Hiroshi Ishiguro (the guy who made the robots in the first two clips) has an interesting discussion on the issue:
[youtube]g3rR1WJ1vFc[/youtube]
Lecture: Prof Hiroshi Ishiguro - YouTube

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Bring on the fembots I say!
They can be programmed to need to make me a sammich instead of wanting to cuddle after 45 seconds of bliss.
They can also be programmed to actually believe the false praise I expect.

apophenia

Some of those androids have some very nasty viruses. They could destroy your hard drive if you don't have adequate protection.

outis

Do you think it would be a detriment to society (such as encouraging the objectification of people, reducing the role of humans within society and therefore the capacity of the average person to secure income)? Do you think it may alleviate some existing societal ills (such as exploitation, rape, STDs)?
No, and no. Only a small share of the sexual uses of homo sapiens is potentially serviceable by robots anyway.
More generally, robots aren't "reducing the role of humans within society", much less "the capacity of the average person to secure income" which is just bad populist economics. Coutries which have lots of robots today are countries where average persons are immigrating to (or within, in the case of China which has legal barriers to immigration within its borders). Lots of well-paying jobs there.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Brrrrr, a tad disturbing and creepy.

Besides, robotics and artificial intelligence are both a long way away from adequately mimicking humans, so ultimately they're just flashy, over-priced blow-up dolls.

Straw Dog

If normal humans are a little crazy, then any humanoid we create is just going to be extra special crazy. What happens when they become fully self-aware and want a committed relationship?

You can break up with a normal person with just "Hey! I never want to see you ever again. Goodbye!" :sad4: but what if that does not compute with the fembot?

I mean, imagine an angry ex-girlfriend. Now imagine that they're also a sociopathic synthetic humanoid. :D

Wherenextcolumbus

The second video "They are making a female robot! Of course she is going to be used for sex!"
First video "This female robot has been used at a hospital to give patients company"