• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Share your favorite scripture verses!

zomg

I aim to misbehave!
Unfortunately, this board has been slow lately or filled with nonsence threads. I had been meaning to do this for several months now so here goes!

Please share your favorite scripture verses- one from each of the Standard Works:
The Bible - one from each Old and New Testament is fine
The Book of Mormon
Doctrine and Covenants
Pearl of Great Price

You can share from one if you want, two of them or all. If appropriate share why the selected verses are your favorite :0

Non-LDS are welcomed to join in as well!

My favorite Peal of Great Price scripture comes from the book of Moses Chapter 7. In this chapter Enoch has been shown a great vision about the children of men before the Flood. Afterwards, Enoch notices that God, the all powerful being, is crying.

28 And it came to pass that the God of heaven looked upon the residue of the people, and he wept; and Enoch bore record of it, saying: How is it that the heavens weep, and shed forth their tears as the rain upon the mountains?

Of course Enoch is shocked- God is all powerful yet is crying??? Enoch goes on about how great God is and reminds Him of the many creations (as if God had forgotten :p)
29 And Enoch said unto the Lord: How is it that thou canst weep, seeing thou art holy, and from all eternity to all eternity?

30 And were it possible that man could number the particles of the earth, yea, millions of earths like this, it would not be a beginning to the number of thy creations; and thy curtains are stretched out still; and yet thou art there, and thy bosom is there; and also thou art just; thou art merciful and kind forever;

31 And thou hast taken Zion to thine own bosom, from all thy creations, from all eternity to all eternity; and naught but peace, justice, and truth is the habitation of thy throne; and mercy shall go before thy face and have no end; how is it thou canst weep?
Again with the question- how is it thou canst weep? Now for God's answer:
32 The Lord said unto Enoch: Behold these thy brethren; they are the workmanship of mine own hands, and I gave unto them their knowledge, in the day I created them; and in the Garden of Eden, gave I unto man his agency;

33 And unto thy brethren have I said, and also given commandment, that they should love one another, and that they should choose me, their Father; but behold, they are without affection, and they hate their own blood...
God's answer goes on for several more verses.

I love this selection of verses because they show God's love for us. He isn't some unknown, uncaring force; He loves us and wishes we would love each other.

Please share yours!

Michael Turner

espresso connoisseur
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. (Isa 9:6)

“You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord, “and my servant whom I have chosen, that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor shall there be any after me. I, I am the Lord, and besides me there is no savior. (Isa 43:10-11)

Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts: “I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god.” (Isa 44:6)

Thus says the Lord, your Redeemer, who formed you from the womb: “I am the Lord, who made all things” (Isa 44:24)

“Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son,and they shall call his name Immanuel” (which means, God with us). (Matt 1:23)

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (John 1:1)

All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. (John 1:3)

He said to them, “You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. I told you that you would die in your sins, for unless you believe that I am he you will die in your sins.” (John 8:23-24)

Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.” (John 8:58)

“I and the Father are one.” The Jews picked up stones again to stone him. Jesus answered them, “I have shown you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you going to stone me?” The Jews answered him, “It is not for a good work that we are going to stone you but for blasphemy, because you, being a man, make yourself God.” (John 10:30-33)

Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?” (John 14:9)

Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!” Jesus said to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” (John 20:28-29)

Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood. (Acts 20:28)

Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. (Phil 2:5-7)

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent. For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross. (Col 1:15-20)

Great indeed, we confess, is the mystery of godliness: He was manifested in the flesh, vindicated by the Spirit, seen by angels, proclaimed among the nations, believed on in the world, taken up in glory. (1Tim 3:16)

…waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ (Titus 2:13)

But of the Son he says, “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever, the scepter of uprightness is the scepter of your kingdom. You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness; therefore God, your God, has anointed you with the oil of gladness beyond your companions.” (Heb 1:8-9)

To those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ (2Pet 1:1)

To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood and made us a kingdom, priests to his God and Father, to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen. Behold, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him, and all tribes of the earth will wail on account of him. Even so. Amen. “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.” (Rev 1:5-8)

But he laid his right hand on me, saying, “Fear not, I am the first and the last, and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.” (Rev 1:17-18)

zomg

I aim to misbehave!
Those are some great verses. If you could pick one that was your most favorite at the moment, which would it be and why?

LittleNipper

Matthew 6:1 Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your FATHER in heaven.

I love this one at the moment...

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
Sorry, this is going to be kind of long by the time I get done, and I'm going to probably be updating it as I make my final decision... :yes:

From the Old Testament --

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

From the New Testament --

Matthew 25:34-40 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Last edited:

zomg

I aim to misbehave!
Here is my favorite scripture from the Book of Mormon:

6 Wherefore, redemption cometh in and through the Holy Messiah; for he is full of grace and truth.
7 Behold, he offereth himself a sacrifice for sin, to answer the ends of the law, unto all those who have a broken heart and a contrite spirit; and unto none else can the ends of the law be answered.

8 Wherefore, how great the importance to make these things known unto the inhabitants of the earth, that they may know that there is no flesh that can dwell in the presence of God, save it be through the merits, and mercy, and grace of the Holy Messiah, who layeth down his life according to the flesh, and taketh it again by the power of the Spirit, that he may bring to pass the resurrection of the dead, being the first that should rise. - 2 Nephi Chapter 2

There are dozens of other verses I could have picked. This one became my favorite while serving as a missionary. Redemption does come through Christ- nowhere else. Chapter 2 is one of the best in the whole Book of Mormon, in my opinion.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
From The Book of Mormon --

Alma 32:28-41 Now, we will compare the word unto a seed. Now, if ye give place, that a seed may be planted in your heart, behold, if it be a true seed, or a good seed, if ye do not cast it out by your unbelief, that ye will resist the Spirit of the Lord, behold, it will begin to swell within your breasts; and when you feel these swelling motions, ye will begin to say within yourselves -- It must needs be that this is a good seed, or that the word is good, for it beginneth to enlarge my soul; yea, it beginneth to enlighten my understanding, yea, it beginneth to be delicious to me. Now behold, would not this increase your faith? I say unto you, Yea; nevertheless it hath not grown up to a perfect knowledge. But behold, as the seed swelleth, and sprouteth, and beginneth to grow, then you must needs say that the seed is good; for behold it swelleth, and sprouteth, and beginneth to grow. And now behold, will not this strengthen your faith? Yea, it will strengthen your faith: for ye will say I know that this is a good seed; for behold it sprouteth and beginneth to grow.

And now, behold, are ye sure that this is a good seed? I say unto you, Yea; for every seed bringeth forth unto its own likeness. Therefore, if a seed groweth it is good, but if it groweth not, behold it is not good, therefore it is cast away. And now, behold, because ye have tried the experiment, and planted the seed, and it swelleth and sprouteth, and beginneth to grow, ye must needs know that the seed is good. And now, behold, is your knowledge perfect? Yea, your knowledge is perfect in that thing, and your faith is dormant; and this because ye know, for ye know that the word hath swelled your souls, and ye also know that it hath sprouted up, that your understanding doth begin to be enlightened, and your mind doth begin to expand.

O then, is not this real? I say unto you, Yea, because it is light; and whatsoever is light, is good, because it is discernible, therefore ye must know that it is good; and now behold, after ye have tasted this light is your knowledge perfect? Behold I say unto you, Nay; neither must ye lay aside your faith, for ye have only exercised your faith to plant the seed that ye might try the experiment to know if the seed was good. And behold, as the tree beginneth to grow, ye will say: Let us nourish it with great care, that it may get root, that it may grow up, and bring forth fruit unto us. And now behold, if ye nourish it with much care it will get root, and grow up, and bring forth fruit.

But if ye neglect the tree, and take no thought for its nourishment, behold it will not get any root; and when the heat of the sun cometh and scorcheth it, because it hath no root it withers away, and ye pluck it up and cast it out. Now, this is not because the seed was not good, neither is it because the fruit thereof would not be desirable; but it is because your ground is barren, and ye will not nourish the tree, therefore ye cannot have the fruit thereof. And thus, if ye will not nourish the word, looking forward with an eye of faith to the fruit thereof, ye can never pluck of the fruit of the tree of life.

But if ye will nourish the word, yea, nourish the tree as it beginneth to grow, by your faith with great diligence, and with patience, looking forward to the fruit thereof, it shall take root; and behold it shall be a tree springing up unto everlasting life.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
From The Doctrine and Covenants --

Section 122:1-9 The ends of the earth shall inquire after thy name, and fools shall have thee in derision, and hell shall rage against thee; While the pure in heart, and the wise, and the noble, and the virtuous, shall seek counsel, and authority, and blessings constantly from under thy hand. And thy people shall never be turned against thee by the testimony of traitors. And although their influence shall cast thee into trouble, and into bars and walls, thou shalt be had in honor; and but for a small moment and thy voice shall be more terrible in the midst of thine enemies than the fierce lion, because of thy righteousness; and thy God shall stand by thee forever and ever.

If thou art called to pass through tribulation; if thou art in perils among false brethren; if thou art in perils among robbers; if thou art in perils by land or by sea; If thou art accused with all manner of false accusations; if thine enemies fall upon thee; if they tear thee from the society of thy father and mother and brethren and sisters; and if with a drawn sword thine enemies tear thee from the bosom of thy wife, and of thine offspring, and thine elder son, although but six years of age, shall cling to thy garments, and shall say, My father, my father, why can’t you stay with us? O, my father, what are the men going to do with you? and if then he shall be thrust from thee by the sword, and thou be dragged to prison, and thine enemies prowl around thee like wolves for the blood of the lamb; And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good. The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?

Therefore, hold on thy way, and the priesthood shall remain with thee; for their bounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever.

zomg

I aim to misbehave!
Great selections, Katz! Picking one from the Doctrine and Covenants will be tricky!

DavyCrocket2003

Here is my current favorite scripture. It's very emotional for me. Not something I really want to go in to on a forum. But it's still a great scripture:
"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2Timothy 1:7

zomg

I aim to misbehave!
Here is my current favorite scripture. It's very emotional for me. Not something I really want to go in to on a forum. But it's still a great scripture:
"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2Timothy 1:7
Thanks for sharing :)

Any from the other Standard Works?

Arkholt

Non-vessel
My favorites are quite short. I like things that are short and to the point.

Old Testament:
Ecclesiastes 12:13 -

Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

Pretty much sums up the whole gospel to me. :)

New Testament:
John 21:25 -

And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

Just an awesome thought, really.

Book of Mormon:
Jacob 6:12

O be awise; what can I say more?

There's a lot more in this than it seems like. Wisdom really is a complex thing when you begin to really study its true meaning.

Doctrine and Covenants:
Section 122:8 -

<after a rather lengthy list of terrible things> The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?

No reason to feel sorry for myself when bad stuff happens, knowing that somebody else has had it way worse than me.

Pearl of Great Price:
Joseph Smith - History 1:20 <excerpt> -

...I went home. And as I leaned up to the fireplace, bmother inquired what the matter was. I replied, &#8220;Never mind, all is well&#8212;I am well enough off.&#8221; I then said to my mother, &#8220;I have learned for myself that Presbyterianism is not true.&#8221;

This is after he has seen God the Father and Jesus Christ. I love the understatement there.

LittleNipper

"If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one's religion is useless. Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world." James 1:26,27

Katya

My favourite scripture in the Book of Mormon is 1 Nephi 2:15

"And my father dwelt in a tent. "

Only cos when I first read it, I thought someone deleted the rest of the scripture. :D Then realised it was that short.

In the bible, my fav scriptures are Proverbs 3:5-6

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths."

That was also my mother's favourite scriptures which I didn't know until we put it on her headstone. It's a good thing little sisters' listened to their mother. ;)

My fav scripture from the Pearl of Great Price is Moses 1:3

"And God spake unto Moses, saying: Behold, I am the Lord God Almighty, and Endless is my name; for I am without beginning of days or end of years; and is not this endless?"

I read that when I was about 7 or 8. It has stuck with me all these years.

I don't have a fav in D & C. Guess I'll have to find one. :)