• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shortest Holy Book

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
Till someone gives a technically correct answer, I am reminded of a seminar where the subject was sex. All the scholars gave long discourses on the subject and were received well. At last one scholar got up to speak, looked the large audience over and began, "Ladies and Gentlemen, it gives me great pleasure ..." and sat down!

I suppose the shortest Holy book would be the one wherein it is written just a single word - LOVE.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The book of Tobit.
I saw it in an old bible, and was prophecy of a city destroyed.

Last edited:

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Till someone gives a technically correct answer, I am reminded of a seminar where the subject was sex. All the scholars gave long discourses on the subject and were received well. At last one scholar got up to speak, looked the large audience over and began, "Ladies and Gentlemen, it gives me great pleasure ..." and sat down!

I suppose the shortest Holy book would be the one wherein it is written just a single word - LOVE.

Thats a great story lol

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Why are Holy books, in general, lengthy?
Are 'they' hoping we won't read them all?
:faint:

Good question. And did all the writers of such books actually write them intending "This is to a be a Holy Book!". It kind of seems like its the people later on who turn these into 'holy' books. Maybe. Just an interesting thought.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I was able to read the Bhagavad Gita in two sittings (two long sittings).

But to be fair it's merely a slice of the epic (and epically long) Mahabharata.

WayFarer

Rogue Scholar
Why are Holy books, in general, lengthy?
Are 'they' hoping we won't read them all?
:faint:
The reason is people like things complicated. Take the Bible for instance. What are the two most important commandments?
"Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it. Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." [Matt22:37-40]
That should be it. Done. You now know all that you need to. The Bible on a postage stamp. But then why does it go on? Because people like things complicated and they love drama. So it is as big as it is. Law is the same way. Why are there so many laws when only a handful make sense? People like things complicated.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
The reason is people like things complicated. Take the Bible for instance. What are the two most important commandments?
"Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it. Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." [Matt22:37-40]
That should be it. Done. You now know all that you need to. The Bible on a postage stamp. But then why does it go on? Because people like things complicated and they love drama. So it is as big as it is. Law is the same way. Why are there so many laws when only a handful make sense? People like things complicated.

I agree, very good example.

Smoke

Done here.
You can read the Principia Discordia in less than an hour.
But it takes a lifetime to understand it. ;)

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I only know 3 Different religion books. Bible, Quran and Geta. In these 3 i thing Bible is the shortest one.
I think you are a bit confused. the Qur'an is much shorter than the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament), and a bit longer than the New Testament and the Gita being the shortest one.
I managed to read most of the Qur'an in one sitting, and all the New Testament in one sitting, something I haven't even tried doing with the Hebrew Bible.

Last edited:

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
I only know 3 Different religion books. Bible, Quran and Geta. In these 3 i thing Bible is the shortest one.
I have just found out that the following:

Old Testament 23,214 verses
New Testament 7,959 verses
Quran 6,346 verses
Gita 700 verses
(The Gita is actually a portion of the long epic of Mahabharatha, having 100,000 verses.)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Isn't it a bit of a stretch to mention holy books with 12 verses or less? I thought the OP meant "core" holy books or something similar.