• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should ChristineM's Avatar Be Hidden Behind Trigger Warning?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Excerpted....

Trigger Warning: You May See Bones in Archaeology Class​

Early in his teaching career, Harvard Archaeology Prof. Jason Ur would sometimes bring a human skull to class, a Raiders of the Lost Ark touch to get his students psyched for the work ahead.

The first day of school this fall, students in his introductory-level class will get a trigger warning.

“You will be seeing some human remains that might trouble you,” Ur says he plans to tell the undergraduates. “If that’s the case, this might not be the class for you.”

In an age of heightened personal and cultural sensitivity, teaching archaeology and anthropology isn’t what it used to be. Professors who extract history from human remains now think twice about showing bones to their students.

Some choose trigger warnings. Some use drawings of the dead instead of photos in their slideshows. Some train students on plastic bones instead of real ones.

“We have a large group of biological- and forensic-anthropology students who are all about bones and have no problems at all,” says Anna Marie Prentiss, co-chair of the University of Montana Department of Anthropology. “But what we do have are occasional anthropology students who do require the trigger warning and don’t want to see human bones.”

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Excerpted....

Early in his teaching career, Harvard Archaeology Prof. Jason Ur would sometimes bring a human skull to class, a Raiders of the Lost Ark touch to get his students psyched for the work ahead.

The first day of school this fall, students in his introductory-level class will get a trigger warning.

“You will be seeing some human remains that might trouble you,” Ur says he plans to tell the undergraduates. “If that’s the case, this might not be the class for you.”

In an age of heightened personal and cultural sensitivity, teaching archaeology and anthropology isn’t what it used to be. Professors who extract history from human remains now think twice about showing bones to their students.

Some choose trigger warnings. Some use drawings of the dead instead of photos in their slideshows. Some train students on plastic bones instead of real ones.

“We have a large group of biological- and forensic-anthropology students who are all about bones and have no problems at all,” says Anna Marie Prentiss, co-chair of the University of Montana Department of Anthropology. “But what we do have are occasional anthropology students who do require the trigger warning and don’t want to see human bones.”

@ChristineM's avatar is fine.

1423960570affe5c9ed1d874b39fe53d.gif

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Excerpted....

Some of us don't want to see over developed cartoon male chests but you you don't see me griping.

ChristineM

Premium Member
It actually was once against RF rules
to show a bare male chest...even a
skinny one.

I was going to go there had your reply been different. Among my first posts on RF was one containing a pic of Aden Turner hoeing a field in the programme Poldark.

Bare chest was magnificent but the tv series was better, which was my point (i think). The pic was removed by the nanny bot as i posted.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I was going to go there had your reply been different. Among my first posts on RF was one containing a pic of Aden Turner hoeing a field in the programme Poldark.

Bare chest was magnificent but the tv series was better, which was my point (i think). The pic was removed by the nanny bot as i posted.

For why are you angry?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Aye, twas one of those unwritten rules,
which was eliminated with no notice.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I had to look up deponent, I'm no wiser ;-)
The phrase (often with "affiant" replacing "deponent")
often appears at the end of an affidavit, indicating
they'll say nothing more.
I use it to show that speaking further on the
topic would head into rule violation territory.

ChristineM

Premium Member
The phrase (often with "affiant" replacing "deponent")
often appears at the end of an affidavit, indicating
they'll say nothing more.
I use it to show that speaking further on the
topic would head into rule violation territory.

I don't have any affidavits and as far as i know haven't read one so...

Don't want to nreak any rules do we?

Heyo

Veteran Member
Excerpted....

Only in the US ... (Though I'm no longer sure about that, the crazy seems to be contagious.)

It should be common knowledge that you have to see and probably touch bones in archaeology, biology and acting class.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Excerpted....

Blugh. Trigger warnings are known for making things worse. Get rid of them. If you can't handle seeing human bones then studying humans isn't for you.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Only in the US ... (Though I'm no longer sure about that, the crazy seems to be contagious.)

It should be common knowledge that you have to see and probably touch bones in archaeology, biology and acting class.
BRAINS!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Aye, crazy is catching.