• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should the niqab be banned?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
news-graphics-2007-_443501a.jpg

Ugh, disgusting! I would never let my woman out of the house exposing that much naked eyeball to the world.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
To come to Robert's defence. Niqabs have been used by (male) criminals in various robberies here in the UK and one of the London terrorist bombers escaped London disguised as a woman through wearing a niqab. I think this is the point he was alluding to.

Thank you Knight, I didn't think it was that hard to work out what I meant, but you did. :clap

Last edited:

apophenia

The minimum field of view for a driver of a private vehicle here (commercial drivers have to meet higher standards) is 120º horizontally and 15º vertically. It looks to me like that niqab allows for a better field of view than that.

Yeah right.

:sleep:

Aquitaine

Ugh, disgusting! I would never let my woman out of the house exposing that much naked eyeball to the world.

I can see both of her naked eyes. OMG I cannot control myself - she needs to cover up with sunglasses otherwise I may accidentally harass her! Where is the modesty?! :sarcastic

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Is the niqab a symbol of oppression and entirely out of place in a modern, civilised society?

Or is it a justifiable item of clothing which a woman has as much right to wear as a woman who wants to wear a mini skirt?

If you ruled the world, would you ban the niqab?
I do think it is a symbol of oppression, and hope that the cultures which support its use will ultimately adopt less oppressive and dehumanizing ways to express modesty.

If I was ultimate ruler, I would ban it. But then again, if I were ultimate ruler, I doubt that such cultures would flourish which would support and desire its use.

However, as others have noted, in the world in which we live, an outright ban would not be beneficial or desirable. So the best we can do is hope it dies the fashion death it should.

Aquitaine

I do think it is a symbol of oppression, and hope that the cultures which support its use will ultimately adopt less oppressive and dehumanizing ways to express modesty.

If I was ultimate ruler, I would ban it. But then again, if I were ultimate ruler, I doubt that such cultures would flourish which would support and desire its use.

However, as others have noted, in the world in which we live, an outright ban would not be beneficial or desirable. So the best we can do is hope it dies the fashion death it should.

Aye, it's a difficult one isn't it: trying to ban women from wearing what we deem as "oppressive" clothing is in many ways a rather large contradiction.

I used to want it banned on security grounds, but now I feel it's best for the Niqab/Burkha to be permitted - just subject to the same circumstantial "restrictions" on face coverings which we already have (e.g. with Balaclavas/Ski-Masks/Motorcycle helmets/Hoods, in certain areas & circumstances etc).

One rule for all. :yes:

Wherenextcolumbus

I think high heels are a symbol of oppression

Aquitaine

You're free to believe that. However, I think the parallel to the niqab is a bit strained.

It may be a bit of a stretch, but I can understand the comparison.... at least, I think I understand the comparison: self-imposed/externally-imposed restrictions on one's own dress, out of fear and in order to conform to the "standard" set by a society. :shrug:

Whether there exist societies which actually enforce high heels onto women as much as some do the Niqab/Burkha (including the grave consequences for non-compliance), is up for debate, however. :D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You're free to believe that. However, I think the parallel to the niqab is a bit strained.
Yes, my observation of women is that they as a group choose to wear these strange & dangerous shoes (unstable design, no steel toes, inadequate cushioning). "Oppression" is a the wrong word, especially compared to a dress code which can get a non-compliant gal killed in some places.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
It may be a bit of a stretch, but I can understand the comparison.... at least, I think I understand the comparison: self-imposed/externally-imposed restrictions on one's own dress, out of fear and in order to conform to the "standard" set by a society. :shrug:

Whether there exist societies which actually enforce high heels onto women as much as some do the Niqab/Burkha (including the grave consequences for non-compliance), is up for debate, however. :D

I certainly understand the comparison, as presented in your first paragraph.

But I think there are two relevant differences:
The first, you've already pointed out: high heels are not as strongly enforced.
The second is more subjective, though I think readily accepted by most people: high heels are not nearly as dehumanizing and physically oppressive as high heels are. You are still recognizable as a person, as an individual, when wearing high heels.

Aquitaine

The second is more subjective, though I think readily accepted by most people: high heels are not nearly as dehumanizing and physically oppressive as high heels are. You are still recognizable as a person, as an individual, when wearing high heels.

I concur, which is why I don't fully agree with the comparison, but I can understand where she's coming from.

I think there's a link between the two, but one is a much more extreme variation of the other, if that makes sense.

Wherenextcolumbus

High heels are just as physically oppressive in a different way, have you worn them?!

Aquitaine

High heels are just as physically oppressive in a different way, have you worn them?!

Believe it or not, I tried them on..... once. Needless to say the trial didn't last long.

Sooooo happy my Sex isn't required to wear those things in order to look "fashionable". :D

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member

I concur, which is why I don't fully agree with the comparison, but I can understand where she's coming from.

I think there's a link between the two, but one is a much more extreme variation of the other, if that makes sense.
Yeah, that makes sense.

I have worn high heels. They are irritating, yes. But I still think they are a far cry from having your entire body covered in a shapeless cloak, leaving only a tiny slit for your eyes.

Aquitaine

would you ban high heels?

Me? No. But I would support businesses/places of employment who felt (for Health & Safety reasons) that they shouldn't be worn by staff members, considering the potential for trip hazards etc.

**This colour = edited text.**

Last edited: