• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sisters Bisexuality

Nymphs

Of course hate crimes and discrimination against LGBT people is an issue. So are all the other examples where people are killed, mistreated, lacking the basic amenities of life, etc. They all have special interest groups working to solve those problems and raise awareness so let's not play this game.

:yes::yes::yes:

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
Oppression Olympics serves no one except the people who want to claim that oppression isn't actually happening.

As seen here.

Nymphs

Oppression Olympics serves no one except the people who want to claim that oppression isn't actually happening.

As seen here.

Oooh, I've never heard the term Oppression Olympics. I think I'm going to use that in the future.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
As is the fact that I can't buy a sandwich after 10 pm from my local deli but you don't see me whining about it online.
Suicide is currently the second leading cause of death among young people, after accidents.

LGB youth have a 3-4x higher attempted suicide rate than straight youth. Plus, their attempts are more serious, measured in terms of the percentage of attempts that require doctor actions as well as the surveyed reasoning (such as truly wanting to die vs. crying out for help).

LGB youth that have a highly rejecting family have a suicide rate that's about 8x as high as LGB youth that have an accepting family.

For transgender people, the rate is that they attempt suicide about 25x the rate of the national average. So that's about 40% of transgender people, attempting suicide at least once. The rates vary substantially depending on family acceptance, experience of employment discrimination, experience of physician discrimination, etc.

So, for LGBT youth, the rough math would mean that their death from suicide is higher than the rate from accidents, and most of it is attributed to family intolerance and society intolerance, since those that have relative acceptance in their lives have much lower rates.

Estimates vary widely for what percentage of the population is LGBT, with a common estimate being about 10 million people in the United States alone. That would mean hundreds of millions worldwide.

Sources: (1, 2, 3)

I think the leading cause of death among millions of people when they're young due to oppression, is not something that can be compared to being unable to purchase a sandwich after 10pm.

Nymphs

Suicide is currently the second leading cause of death among young people, after accidents.

LGB youth have a 3-4x higher attempted suicide rate than straight youth. Plus, their attempts are more serious, measured in terms of the percentage of attempts that require doctor actions as well as the surveyed reasoning (such as truly wanting to die vs. crying out for help).

LGB youth that have a highly rejecting family have a suicide rate that's about 8x as high as LGB youth that have an accepting family.

For transgender people, the rate is that they attempt suicide about 25x the rate of the national average. So that's about 40% of transgender people, attempting suicide at least once. The rates vary substantially depending on family acceptance, experience of employment discrimination, experience of physician discrimination, etc.

So, for LGBT youth, the rough math would mean that their death from suicide is higher than the rate from accidents, and most of it is attributed to family intolerance and society intolerance, since those that have relative acceptance in their lives have much lower rates.

Estimates vary widely for what percentage of the population is LGBT, with a common estimate being about 10 million people in the United States alone. That would mean hundreds of millions worldwide.

Sources: (1, 2, 3)

I think the leading cause of death among millions of people when they're young due to oppression, is not something that can be compared to being unable to purchase a sandwich after 10pm.

Thank you for posting this. :yes:

Triumphant_Loser

Libertarian Egalitarian
My sister recently told me that she is bisexual (she is quite young). I am hoping that this is part of a journey of self discovery and that she is indeed not bi. Not because I am judgemental or intolerant but I know that she will struggle more as a bi woman than she would as a gay woman. Bisexual women have it tougher than lesbians I notice when it comes to acceptance and have difficulties dating. This probably makes me a terrible person.
Not really. I understand where you are coming from. From my experience as a bi guy, I've actually got just as much, if not more flack from the gay community than I have from the straight community. Because of the fact that a majority of my relationships were women, then I was obviously "just looking for attention," or "gay, and in denial.":(

Nymphs

Not really. I understand where you are coming from. From my experience as a bi guy, I've actually got just as much, if not more flack from the gay community than I have from the straight community. Because of the fact that a majority of my relationships were women, then I was obviously "just looking for attention," or "gay, and in denial.":(

I'm sorry.

Us bisexuals get that flak from both sides, which is ridiculous.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl

I think I noted in another thread that this is particularly unfortunate for bi guys. Statistically you're going to date more women unless you have a stronger preference for men. And even if you did, that wouldn't make you gay.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

Biphobia.

It does a bigot good.

Here...:hug: