• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

simontompkins

Hi,
While on an English literature course I seem to remember my English tutor saying that one of the interpretations of the skull and crossbones comes from a theological discussion on how much of a human body needs to exist for it to be taken up to heaven at the end of days. If memory serves the result of the theological discussion was that at a minimum the femur and skull had to be intact. Also, destroying the skull and femur would obviate someone being taken up to heaven at the end of days.
What I'm looking for is an academic reference for where this theological discussion originated. It may of course be a myth but if anyone knows of a (for example) early discussion of this I'd be grateful for any references that anyone knows of.
Thank you for your time and consideration.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Hi,
While on an English literature course I seem to remember my English tutor saying that one of the interpretations of the skull and crossbones comes from a theological discussion on how much of a human body needs to exist for it to be taken up to heaven at the end of days. If memory serves the result of the theological discussion was that at a minimum the femur and skull had to be intact. Also, destroying the skull and femur would obviate someone being taken up to heaven at the end of days.
What I'm looking for is an academic reference for where this theological discussion originated. It may of course be a myth but if anyone knows of a (for example) early discussion of this I'd be grateful for any references that anyone knows of.
Thank you for your time and consideration.

I vote myth.