• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slaying the dragons...

Just_me_Mike

Slaying the dragons…
Dragons are mythological creatures found in many cultures throughout time. Depicted in art and fables they come in many shapes and sizes. Some breath fire, some have skin indestructible. In all instances these dragons are the pinnacle of obstacles one might or must face in life.

To slay a dragon is certainly no easy task. It could be said one might be crazy to embark on such an endeavor. None the less, when the course is decided upon and the task begins, there is little else that matters to the individual. If the individual for a moment takes their eyes off the dragon, death is certain. Part of the task is total focus and concentration, and this one aspect is what keeps many would be dragon slayers at bay. They either lack the ability to focus to such a degree, or find it useless and only aids to shorten or diminish the quality of one’s life.

I submit dragons are still present with us. They still have power in our lives, and are as elusive as ever. They have traded their scales for invisible skin. No more red eyes and fiery flames, instead mystical questions and near unanswerable concepts.

God is a dragon.
Morals are dragons.
Love is a dragon.
Death is a dragon.
The soul is a dragon.

There are others as well, but these dragons are a powerful bunch. Some go insane wrestling with them, some triumph and take on new dragons, or stop fighting them altogether. So, these are the dragons of today and for those who have taken on a dragon, will know what I mean. These can be just as fierce as the large scaled indestructible beast depicted in mythology.

Many of you to this day stay on alert on this very forum, guarding and protecting the dragons you have already slayed. Taking caution if the dragon you once thought slayed might come back to life. Every convincing ourselves "our dragon is under control".

We fight these dragons, not because we look for them, but is seems they look for us, they find us, and demand a battle.

berrychrisc

Devotee of the Immaculata
I submit dragons are still present with us. They still have power in our lives, and are as elusive as ever. They have traded their scales for invisible skin. No more red eyes and fiery flames, instead mystical questions and near unanswerable concepts.

When I read this it made me think of yoga, and how instead of slaying the dragon (or in this case, 'serpent') the idea is to awaken the serpent of Kundalini, despite the fact that it is a perilous undertaking.

Xafwak

XFWK
Not the best metaphor, because dragons are cool. :)

But yeah, those are 'dragons' of our minds, and therefore in no way greater than us ourselves. They´re relatively easy to squish once one identifies them.