• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So Apparently Dogs Are Dumber Than Cats.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Let's not fight like....er cats and dogs...
It is interesting about this. My dog is polite to cats... when he is indoors.

But if he crosses a cat outside, his fur goes up and he gets all slinky, like he either wants to chase it down or turn tail and run for his life. His fur doesn't go up for other animals, like bunnies or squirrels or other dogs. Just cats.

Draka

Wonder Woman
You don't train a cat...a cat trains you.

No matter how well of a job you think you have done in penning in a cat somewhere it will get out and you will have no idea how.

Regardless of what the cartoons portray, I have never, in my life, ever seen a dog chase or get the better of a cat. I have, however, seen a cat chase and get the better of a dog, more than once, and dogs several times larger than the cats. Obviously it isn't strength, size, or brute force allowing the cats to scare off or take these dogs down. ;)

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member

No matter how well of a job you think you have done in penning in a cat somewhere it will get out and you will have no idea how.

Regardless of what the cartoons portray, I have never, in my life, ever seen a dog chase or get the better of a cat. I have, however, seen a cat chase and get the better of a dog, more than once, and dogs several times larger than the cats. Obviously it isn't strength, size, or brute force allowing the cats to scare off or take these dogs down. ;)
Yeah because cats fight dirty. The human equivalent of kicking below the belt or pulling hair. Just not cool.

Plus, dogs usually think they are playing or just having a bit of fun... right up to the point when the cat scratches out their soulful brown puppy eyes. Cat takes everything so seriously.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

Indeed, because most dogs are more civilized than most cats - just like their respective owners.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
We're not talking about how nice or moral the pets are. Just how intelligent.

It's as if a dog can't be dumb and awesome and loyal at the same time. Cats are independent and arrogant and awesome at the same time. If people wish to try to re-direct the debate over to which animal is nicer, we can start another thread, but let's try to keep this to debating who is dumber. Dogs or cats?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

It's as if a dog can't be dumb and awesome and loyal at the same time. Cats are independent and arrogant and awesome at the same time. If people wish to try to re-direct the debate over to which animal is nicer, we can start another thread, but let's try to keep this to debating who is dumber. Dogs or cats?

Dogs are more intelligent than cats, just like their respective owners. The fact that dogs and dog owners also tend to be more civilized and nicer is off topic. Apologies.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member

I do think that the ability to train dogs to do various tasks speaks to their intelligence, or at least, their ability to learn.

Cat people tend to claim the cat's mental superiority by presuming that said cat has "trained" the humans to wait on it hand and foot, without requiring it to lift a paw. But really, the cat didn't do anything. Humans desire to have a cat, despite the animal's obvious shortcomings as a companion animal, and therefore, have willingly and knowingly decided to take care of the cat. Cat did nothing.

Indeed, gerbils live just as spoiled lives and don't have to do a thing either. And I don't see anyone touting the intelligence of their gerbil.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Nothing but spin.

Dog meditation? :biglaugh:

It's true!

images

2Q==

This kitty practices miracle meditation:
hFE7A260D

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I do think that the ability to train dogs to do various tasks speaks to their intelligence, or at least, their ability to learn.

Cat people tend to claim the cat's mental superiority by presuming that said cat has "trained" the humans to wait on it hand and foot, without requiring it to lift a paw. But really, the cat didn't do anything. Humans desire to have a cat, despite the animal's obvious shortcomings as a companion animal, and therefore, have willingly and knowingly decided to take care of the cat. Cat did nothing.

Indeed, gerbils live just as spoiled lives and don't have to do a thing either. And I don't see anyone touting the intelligence of their gerbil.

And parrots and pigs are more trainable and/or more sociable than either species, but we're not including them in the debate either. But at least we're back on topic. ;)

Dogs may seem to be more social and trainable, but such does not translate to intelligence. Far be it...dogs are too dependent on the owners who have domesticated them into people-pleasing animals. Cats, on the other hand, are cunning, crafty, and have the ability to adapt independently in many situations. They are capable of observing and taking action into how to carve out an existance with no help. Dogs have become too reliant on humans.

To be self-reliant requires a keen awareness coupled with the ability to reason. Observe a cat staring at you....it's watching you and learning what it can do to find food, find freedom, and when you won't be watching.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Well, a cat isn't totally and completely untrainable, that bit was a bit of fun. They will respond to some things, when they want :p I have three cats and I just called for one of them by name, one I knew was in the furthest room from me, and she came running and is now in my lap. :p They respond to certain commands.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
I've never had a dog, so I don't know much about them. I don't really relate to their pack-like nature, hierarchical needs, or inability to live independently. But dogs, cats and horses have all been domesticated because all three give and take from a inter-species relationship (eg cats kept vermin from food).

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Dogs may seem to be more social and trainable, but such does not translate to intelligence. Far be it...dogs are too dependent on the owners who have domesticated them into people-pleasing animals. Cats, on the other hand, are cunning, crafty, and have the ability to adapt independently in many situations. They are capable of observing and taking action into how to carve out an existance with no help. Dogs have become too reliant on humans.

To be self-reliant requires a keen awareness coupled with the ability to reason. Observe a cat staring at you....it's watching you and learning what it can do to find food, find freedom, and when you won't be watching.

Self-reliance or dependence are not measures of intelligence. If that was the case, then squirrels are more intelligent than your average 10 year old human.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I've never had a dog, so I don't know much about them. I don't really relate to their pack-like nature, hierarchical needs, or inability to live independently. But dogs, cats and horses have all been domesticated because all three give and take from a inter-species relationship (eg cats kept vermin from food).

I've had the pleasure of having a multitude of dogs and cats in my life. I like them both. I've also cared for farm animals (horses, pigs, chickens, turkeys) and various bird species. It has been my observation that cats are the most cunning, self-reliant, patient, observant, and independent animal of the lot. I like all the animals for different reasons, but I think people who think dogs are smarter are simply stating an emotional preference for the specific relationship they have with their dogs.

By and large, cats win in the intelligence department. Dogs win in the cuddle and play department. Can't win 'em all, everyone.