• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So are you from A UU Church or a Fellowship?

Davidium

Hey my Fellow RF UU's!

I have recently been thinking alot about the two different Congregational movements in the Unitarian Universalist Association... And how that is unique among religious movements.

For those who are not UU's, and maybe some who are, let me talk a bit about what I mean.

Unitarian Universalism is "Congregational" in Polity. What that means is that each church is independent of the denomination, free to choose its own leaders, ministers, liturgy, worship topics, and within large boundaries, policies and procedures. Each church could even choose to leave the UUA if it wanted to. The "Congregation" is the basic organizational unit within the UUA, and makes decisions for itself. The denomination cannot order or dictate to the member Churches, as in essence, the denomination works for the member churches. (Sometimes they forget this, and need a little reminding).

This is part of why each UU Church/Congregation/Society/Fellowship etc. is unique in its character, style, structure, etc. If you visit a UU Church and it does not speak to you, visit a different one.... for they are all different. I tried three before one really fit with me!

My question (that I am often too long winded to ask in a timely manner), is what kind of UU Church are you involved in? The two major deliniations are the "Churches" and the "Fellowship Movement".

UU Churches are alot like protestant Christian Churches in structure and style. They have a minister (often several) and a very protestant Christian church facility. They tend to be the larger UU Churches, and are a bit more formal in style. They usually are very well organized, and often have long histories (though not always).

The Fellowship movement is, well, different. Often, they are Lay lead... they do not have a Full time UU minister, or even a minister at all. They are generally smaller, and fiercely independent. Services are planned and presented by members, members serve as "Lay ministers" for weddings and other such life ceremonies. They generally have smaller "fellowship halls" but sometimes meet in rental spaces. Sometimes they develop into UU Churches, but not always. I am a member of a Fellowship, and it has been a fellowship for over 50 years... (and very proud of that as well).

Sometimes, these different kinds of UU Congregations can even be found pretty close to one another. I will give you two example websites to check out.

One, is our local UU Fellowship here on Galveston Island.... www.uugalveston.org

The Closest UU congregation to us Is a young and growing UU Church, but though new it is definately of the "church" variety... led by a good friend of mine, Rev. Dr. Matt Tittle. www.bauuc.org

So, for those of you involved in a UU Congregation in your area, which does it more closely resemble? A Church or a Fellowship?

I really am curious, as I am facinated by this dicotomy within our denomination....

YoUUrs in faith,

David Pyle

Galveston Island, TX

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
David, Namaste.

I'm still 'looking for my niche' - although I call myself a UU; I'm not convinced that's what I am. I'm beginning to think that I'm spending too much time worrying about my 'label' though. Perhaps that is because most others are content with labels; being a perfectionist, though, I often find myself dismissing something because I can't agree with one aspect.

Living in England, I've found that there are no UU Churches - as I was warned by Maize (I think it was she) - the only church of that ilk we have here is Unitarian - and that's not UU.

Perhaps I'm what they would call in politics a 'floating voter' - and will always be so. Which is a great shame because I'd love to be able to share my beliefs with others.:eek:

Davidium

Michel,

Someone may already have suggested this to you, and I could just be stepping over past ground, but there is a UU "Church" for those that do not have one near them. You can join it, participate in worship services online, and all kinds of other such things. It is officially recognized as a congregation by the UUA, it has dedicated ministers, and even sends delegates to our General Assembly every year...

It is known as the "Church of the Larger Fellowship"....

http://www.uua.org/clf/

Check it out! It wont completely solve your problem, but it might help!

YoUUrs in Faith,

David

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Davidium said:
Michel,

Someone may already have suggested this to you, and I could just be stepping over past ground, but there is a UU "Church" for those that do not have one near them. You can join it, participate in worship services online, and all kinds of other such things. It is officially recognized as a congregation by the UUA, it has dedicated ministers, and even sends delegates to our General Assembly every year...

It is known as the "Church of the Larger Fellowship"....

http://www.uua.org/clf/

Check it out! It wont completely solve your problem, but it might help!

YoUUrs in Faith,

David
Thanks a lot, David, I'll give anything a try - I don't remember being told about the link - nut then, with my attrocious memory, that doesn't mean no one has sujjested it before; I'm pretty sure though that no one has - I'll check it out.
Many Thanks:)

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I was part of a fellowship while I was in New York. It was small, highly secular. There was a minister but a lot of the sermons were lay-led. It was fine; nothing offensive and nothing inspiring (to me personally).

Now I am part of a church, which scared the heck out of me when I first approached it. I almost did not go in because it looked so much like a Protestant church and the ministers (we have two) dressed in robes and stoles. It's large - over 700. The sermons are carefully planned; there's a lot more God-talk; and the music has not had all of the Christian references stripped out of it. And to my surprise it is a much better match for me! :) However, I do miss the more diverse perspectives possible from lay-led services.

One of the reasons why I am so looking forward to GA is to get a better perspective of the diversity of UU congregations out there.

I echo your advice to those out there thinking of joining UU: go to several different congregations. Because they vary so widely, you may find that you will not care for one and absolutely love a different one.

Runt

I attend a UU Church, but it has some of the characteristics of a Fellowship. We do have a full time minister as well as a music minister, but there are lots of opportunities for members of the congregation to take on leadership roles. For example, I'm a 19-year-old who has been an official member for only a year and I've already been a Small Group Ministry leader as well as a member of the Worship Council, which plans services. There are also many different times throughout the year (including the entire summer) when members can organize and lead services (including write and give the "sermon"). I myself am leading on in June, on the topic of summer solstice.

Davidium

I think you are right, the line is not as clearly drawn as some seem to think it is.

One of the particular joys I have as being a member for a lay-led fellowship is that I am a Lay-Minister for Weddings. Tomorrow, I am priveledged to perform another such wedding. I so enjoy doing them.

I would not have that opportunity in a Church... until I complete my own ministerial requirements.

But, I was wrong to portray them as a "line in the sand". It is more like a rainbow. I guess I attend a fellowship that is on one end of that spectrum, and Lillith one on the other end (I do want to visit All Souls in DC someday, perhaps you will let me be your guest!)

YoUUrs in Faith
David

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Davidium said:
But, I was wrong to portray them as a "line in the sand". It is more like a rainbow. I guess I attend a fellowship that is on one end of that spectrum, and Lillith one on the other end
Even our big church has room for lay-led services; we just don't have as many and they're usually in the summer when the ministers are away. This time last year (Memorial day weekend), a group of us held a lay-led service on the theme of Languages of Reverence, in response to Rev Sinkford's call. The transcript is here:

http://www.all-souls.org/sermons/20040530.htm

Davidium said:
(I do want to visit All Souls in DC someday, perhaps you will let me be your guest!)
Sure! :) We can talk about it at GA.

Davidium

I'm looking forward to it...

One of my friends who goes to GA every year has taken to calling it the "UU version of Disney land"....

I'm sure GA will be great, but sometimes I worry about my friend... :)

YoUUrs in faith,

David
Galveston Island, TX

Pathos

Hi, I'm totally new here and what not, and haven't had time to read every post here yet, but I just wanted to throw my two cents in and say that I belong to a fairly huge UU Church (although my city also has a Fellowship waaaay on the other side of town) and I'm very, very happy there.:)

-Pathos

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Pathos said:
Hi, I'm totally new here and what not, and haven't had time to read every post here yet, but I just wanted to throw my two cents in and say that I belong to a fairly huge UU Church (although my city also has a Fellowship waaaay on the other side of town) and I'm very, very happy there.:)

-Pathos
Namaste, Pathos. :)

Kewl username! And great to have another UU on board. Let me have the honor of being the first to frubal you! ;)

So how big is your fairly huge church, and what's it like?

-lilith

uu_sage

Our group in Montclair is smoothie of the church and fellowship models. Church label describes us in that we do have a full time minister but fellowship can describe us in that we do have a fellowship hall but it is not our worship space-our meeting space is more like you see in a Quaker meetinghouse than a "typical" Protestant church. We have more than ample lay-ministers, often where you have members (as myself giving sermons/leading services)Our theological diversity and our music does not strike a problem for our members (often keeping original words in, sometimes not). Not a long history but we have been a presence of liberal religious voice since 1952. Leadership has a stripe of fierce indepence with plenty of opportunities to contribute and make things work.

uumckk16

I also attend a church. It's good-sized but not enormous. I've never been to a fellowship meeting (this church is the only UU congregation I've ever attended) but it sounds interesting. I do think I would prefer the church setting though...I like the idea of going to "church" and I like that it is reminiscent of a Christian church. :beach:

Lilithu, you attend All Souls in D.C., correct? I live in the D.C. area, I'm hoping to come visit All Souls sometime... :D

BrandonE

King of Parentheses
I go to a UU church, but it is very small (less than 100 members). We have a part-time (at least in name, though she does so much) minister that was previously retired, but came out of retirement for us. She leads the service twice a month and we have lay led services twice or three times a month.

Our church was originally founded in about 1855 or so I think, but being in the south, it failed in the extremely conservative AnteBellum period. A group of about 15 or so revived it in the 50's, and it's been continuous since then. There was a large church building built back in the original incarnation, and though the building has changed hands several times and actually was moved across town at one point in the 1800's, we are back in the church, and just completed an extensive renovation.

My wife and I are new members that just finished our NewUU class a few weeks ago. Although our congregation is small, we just got 9 new members all at once, which is a pretty big deal for us. The church's vision statement aims to be a 200 member congregation in a few more years with a "full-service menu".

There is also a small Beloved Fellowship in our area that I think was a splinter group, and from what I understand, it is very intensely focused on improving race relations, which is a very big deal in our part of the south. We have a large social underclass in our city, which is divided sharply on racial lines. I'm not sure of what the history there is exactly though.