• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So God gives you a free pass...

Tiberius

Let's say that one day, God comes down and says to you, "Look, I like you, so I'm going to give you a free pass to Heaven. You can do whatever you want, and you'll never be punished for it. Not in this life, not after you die. No matter what you do, you are guaranteed to get into Heaven." And he also proves to you beyond any doubt that he is God. So for the purposes of this thread, take it that it is actually God who is giving you this, not Satan in disguise or anything.

So, if you were given this assurance by God, would you go out and become a killer, thief, rapist, etc?

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
Let's say that one day, God comes down and says to you, "Look, I like you, so I'm going to give you a free pass to Heaven. You can do whatever you want, and you'll never be punished for it. Not in this life, not after you die. No matter what you do, you are guaranteed to get into Heaven." And he also proves to you beyond any doubt that he is God. So for the purposes of this thread, take it that it is actually God who is giving you this, not Satan in disguise or anything.

So, if you were given this assurance by God, would you go out and become a killer, thief, rapist, etc?
Are you asking if the end doesn't justify the means, whether the end will be appropriate?

I don't believe in Heaven or Hell, so I am trying to rephrase your question and your conundrum into a form my brain can relate to...

If Shiva gave me Darshan (holy appearance) and said to me 'you can have a boon, any boon you like' and I chose Moksha (enlightenment) would I go and kill people and do wrong things?

Well, if Shiva was to give me a boon and I wanted people dead, I wouldn't have asked for Moksha, but power, weapons, holy siddhis (mystic forces) and all that...actually, a lot of devotees who got boons from Shiva did just that...used them for personal greed and revenge...

So, after attaining Moksha or getting this 'pass to heaven'? would I think 'aha, I can do whatever I like now?'

Within limits...I mean, I am doing this already...I am still not the 'perfect human being', I still sin a lot (drinking Irish Coffee while typing this), but I doubt I'd go and kill somebody, steal or do anything worse than what I am currently doing.

If it's not in my nature before the 'heaven pass', getting that free ticket, will not change who I am inside or what I do...so, nope...doesn't apply.

Skwim

Veteran Member

Of course I'd become a killer, thief and rapist. Why not? In as much as god created evil I'd be fulfilling this desire to see that this vision---twisted as it it is---wasn't ignored. I'd be on his good side.
On the other hand . . . I might just go against his fondness for evil, and become one of his enemies by stepping out of my inate human character; refusing to kill, steal, and rape. After all, what would I have to loose? I'd still have my free pass into heaven no matter how nice a guy I was.
icon14.gif

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I would just say to him, yea whatever, but why would i run out and want to kill someone, steal or rape, that's not my nature.

Me Myself

Back to my username

I already got a free pass.

Its just going to get a me #%*ton of more lifes :D

Seriously thought, instantenous pass? Not much would change. I would just now I could insta suiicide any time I want.

Which of course would mean leaving a lot of people sad around, but well, thats pretty much why nothing would change anyways, cause I d likely not really want that.

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
Also...my heart wants to answer...

If God came down to me and proved He was God, nothing after that point would even/ever matter to me. That would be my 'eternal Heaven' within itself.

I highly doubt I'd be in a fully coherent state to be able to even apply much reason after that, let alone wanting to commit murder, thievery and other bad things...those things are just petty and insignificant, but what is standing in front of me...what fills up my heart and soul...the very object of my prayers and affections...that is real and also it's all that matters and whether I go to 'Heaven' or 'Hell' after that is totally insignificant. It is a 'moot point'.

I wonder if any of you (or anybody else) realises just how much love is in here? Sometimes, I just have to see a beautiful image of Siva or hear an old Bhajan (devotional song) and I am a total, incomprehensible, babbling mess...can you imagine what would happen if God did show Himself before my eyes?

I would ask him to kill me, so his Holy countenance would be the last thing I ever saw...that's how deep this goes.

Now, I must be off...it takes a lot out of me sometimes.

Last edited:

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
Well, the purpose of my OP was to show that morality doesn't come from God.....
I look at your Religion and it says 'Atheist all the way'.

Are you admitting there is a God that morality doesn't come from?

However, I could have just told you that if you had asked me. lol

Although, to be fair, they do say that 'Free Will' comes from God, no? (not that I know much about that as a Hindu), however, this 'Free Will' as I understand it, encompasses the right for human beings to accept/reject God, right?

Morality or the 'right way to live/be' is sometimes just a load of 'social customs', but knowing the difference between what is 'right' and what is 'wrong' is essential before we can know what is 'true' and what is 'false'.

Thus, having a pure mind and conscience puts us firmly on the 'path to God', so chosing to live in a moral, ethical way is also chosing to live 'God's way' in doing right by God and by your 'fellow human'.

This is how I see it anyway.

Tiberius

I look at your Religion and it says 'Atheist all the way'.

Are you admitting there is a God that morality doesn't come from?

However, I could have just told you that if you had asked me. lol

Although, to be fair, they do say that 'Free Will' comes from God, no? (not that I know much about that as a Hindu), however, this 'Free Will' as I understand it, encompasses the right for human beings to accept/reject God, right?

Morality or the 'right way to live/be' is sometimes just a load of 'social customs', but knowing the difference between what is 'right' and what is 'wrong' is essential before we can know what is 'true' and what is 'false'.

Thus, having a pure mind and conscience puts us firmly on the 'path to God', so chosing to live in a moral, ethical way is also chosing to live 'God's way' in doing right by God and by your 'fellow human'.

This is how I see it anyway.

I personally believe that we do not need a god for us to have morality - morality does not come from God.

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
I personally believe that we do not need a god for us to have morality - morality does not come from God.
You just missed my whole point.

If morality doesn't come from God, then what does?

This isn't hard and it isn't going to be painful.....much. lol

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
First of all, I am not prone to conversing with figments of my imagination, so the likelihood of this ever occurring is virtually nil. There is also the fact that no being, of any kind, could convince me that they were the god so often purported by human animals. (It's a bit far-fetched to think that such an insignificant species would actually have a hot line to said being - I digress.) As for Satan, um, who? Do try to be serious. :)

Given that I am not inclined to do these things now, this bout of delusion is not likely to get my juices flowing quite that much. I'd much rather do something constructive with my time like rake leaves or feed the deer that wander by an apple.

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
First of all, I am not prone to conversing with figments of my imagination, so the likelihood of this ever occurring is virtually nil. There is also the fact that no being, of any kind, could convince me that they were the god so often purported by human animals. (It's a bit far-fetched to think that such an insignificant species would actually have a hot line to said being - I digress.) As for Satan, um, who? Do try to be serious. :)

Given that I am not inclined to do these things now, this bout of delusion is not likely to get my juices flowing quite that much. I'd much rather do something constructive with my time like rake leaves or feed the deer that wander by an apple.
.....or post on an online religious forum, right?

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

No - but I would feel free to live exactly as I want, and make my mistakes, without any of the normal pressures.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Honestly, I would probably give up every worldly pursuit and begin proselytizing.

You are asking, if I understand correctly, that I get an appearance that removes all doubt that there is a God and a Heaven. The free pass is a bit tricky, though. I don't think I could redeem it.

Tiberius

You just missed my whole point.

If morality doesn't come from God, then what does?

This isn't hard and it isn't going to be painful.....much. lol

Nothing. Nothing can come from a fictional character. We also don't get anything from Darth Vader.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Realistically, I just wouldn't take such a promise seriously. How would the part about proving that he is god work anyway?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member

No, I would not kill, rape, or steal.

My only question is would this "free pass" be transferable? Could I give it to someone who actually wants it?

Tiberius

fantôme profane;3577953 said:
No, I would not kill, rape, or steal.

My only question is would this "free pass" be transferable? Could I give it to someone who actually wants it?

Would you really want to give someone the ability to kill without any repercussions?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Would you really want to give someone the ability to kill without any repercussions?

I was thinking more about someone who actually wants to get into heaven.

But your scenario does not actually say there would be no repercussions. Remember that if you kill somebody the main and immediate effect is that somebody ends up dead. That is the repercussion that prevents most people from killing. And I think I would have no difficulty finding someone who would not kill, rape, steal just because they could.