• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some music...............

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
When the English Cricket team managed to wrench 'the ashes' from the Australians this year, there were a few Parties, and quite a bit of alcohol was drunk.​

We British have a happy knack of inventing games, and then make the mistake of exporting them to countries that seem all too ready to be far better at the game than we are.:D

Cricket is no exception; this year, the Ashes came back to England,​

England has regained the Ashes, securing a draw in the fifth Test at The Oval to win the series 2-1. A brilliant debut Test century by man-of-the-match Kevin Pietersen helped the home side obtain possession of the coveted urn. http://www.cricket-online.org/news.php?sid=4687
It was England's first Ashes series victory since 1987 and its first at home since 1985. The next series, which takes place in Australia in 2006-7, is sure to be hotly contested.
and, in commemoration of that, a CD was produced, in which a classical singer with a lovely voice (Keedie), joined with the Cricket team to sing Jerusalem; she also sang "I vow to thee my Country". The proceeds of the sale are to go to:- Earthquake Relief (including Save the Children's "Children in Emergency appeal"), the PCA (Professional Cricketers Association) Benevolent Fund and the Cricket Foundation "Chance to Shine" Appeal.

I don't know if the disk will be available to buy in The States, and so I thought I would give you all the opportunity to hear these two quite unashemedly eye watering pieces, from here (Jerusalem) and here (I vow to thee, my Country).

I Just ask that no one please copy these tracks; they are copyrighted and the CD is only £2.99 (For any English members, who might like to go and buy it).

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
jgallandt said:
I haven't a clue about cricket. I presume it's a game? :D
Aren't games supposed to be fun? I always thought that it was a rather excruciating form of slow torture, both to play (I was forced to at school) and to watch.

I do support them in their effort to raise funds for worthy causes, however.

James

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
JamesThePersian said:
Aren't games supposed to be fun? I always thought that it was a rather excruciating form of slow torture, both to play (I was forced to at school) and to watch.

I do support them in their effort to raise funds for worthy causes, however.

James
Oh James, I am truly shocked.......:D

I expected you to be a cricket fan; don't know why, but I did. It's a wonderful game.;)

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
michel said:

I expected you to be a cricket fan; don't know why, but I did. It's a wonderful game.;)
What kind of net do you use to catch them? :D

ChrisP

Veteran Member
michel said:

You have to be patient and very observant, but if you work at both the appreciation for the game will grow within you. Truly Chess on a paddock sized scale.

I used to have it listed as my religion when I joined here.

Victor said:
What kind of net do you use to catch them? :D

Victor you funny guy :biglaugh:

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
michel said:

What on earth gave you that impression? I know 'Orthodox time' is somewhere between geological and cosmological but I prefer my games a little faster. My memories of playing cricket at school consist of standing around watching grass grow waiting for someone to whack a rock hard ball at about 100 mph straight at my head.

Personally, my sports of choice were rugby (union, I hate league), cross country running and canoeing. The first is fast (if a little brutal), the second is relaxing (some would say boring, but at least its length is measured in hours rather than eons) and the third was just plain fun. Unfortunately an injury sustained in the first one scuppered my ability to enjoy the third.

Oh, and I'd rather be forced to listen to bagpiping alternating with saxophones and Romanian folk music (all of which should be banned under human rights legislation) than have to watch even a few minutes of a cricket game. I do understand it, I just despise it.

James

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
oops, I get the impression I somewhat upset you there; I never knew anyone but I could be so totally against any sport..........cricket is obviously not for you, I think I have gathered that.............:D Sorry!