• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some of my art

Nashitheki

Hollawitta
Monacan Chief
16gyb6c.jpg

Nashitheki

Hollawitta
My thanks.

The Monacan were an eastern Siouan speaking tribe that once lived along the upper reaches of what is now Virginia's James River. Some of their descendants still live in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

At one time they were bitter enemies with the Algonquian Powhatan tribes, but also acted as middle men in the copper trade from the Great Lakes tribes. These eastern tribes valued copper as much as the Europeans valued gold. Around the Monacan's neck are copper ornaments.

Very nice. About an hour and a half away from me there is a small community of Monacans. This guy reminds me of a man who rented us a cabin in the mountains. Do you sell your prints anywhere? Etsy perhaps?

Nashitheki

Hollawitta
I've met a few Monacan at a pow wow once, but never been to Bear Mountain where their community is. Some say they were close kin to the Manahoac who lived above the falls of the Rappahannock River.

Nashitheki

Hollawitta
Thanks Sunstone, this is my watercolor of a Pamunkey woman from around the 16th century -

Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Nashitheki

Hollawitta
Plains style pipe I made. The bowl is carved with a type of western pipestone and capped off with antler. The stem is hornbeam wood and the mouth piece is from a hawk's leg bone.

ru0i1d.jpg

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Your passion and love shows. Your very gifted and I appreciate your sharing your work with all of us. The best works of art and craftsmanship comes from people like yourself. Tx. :0)

ron4711

Great work, art teaches both the artis and the viewer. To that end I'd be interested if you would post some info about the meaning of some of the objects and decorative painting. Thanks!