• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some questions about joining

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
I've been thinking about doing this for a few months, and now that I have my weekends to myself I'm going to go. But, I have some questions. My head is a little clousy this afternoon, so if I don't make sense, just say so =)

First, the things I've read on becoming an official member of the church (the UUA website, and the website of the particular congregation I'll be going to) are kind of unclear to me. I get thyat you sign the membership book, but do they require that you agree to make a certain monetary donation? I don't have any problem doing so, but I was just wondering if you could give me some extra insght into exactly what it entails.

Also, I noticed that there are a lot of "sub-programs" within the UU, like the Women's Federation, CUUPS, the Young Adult Network, and a lot of social action programs. I would definately like to join some of them. Are all, or at least most of the programs present in every congregation, or are there a limited number of programs? And, do you have to be a full member to be involved with them? How do you get involved?

My last question is specifically about CUUPS, if anyone knows anything about them. I personally consider myself a Pagan, but is there a higher standard for membership? I would really like to be a part of it, but I'm not sure if they would take an atheistic pantheist (I can explain if you haven't seen my thread =) ).

Oh, and can I bring cookies for coffee hour? :D

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
MaddLlama said:
First, the things I've read on becoming an official member of the church (the UUA website, and the website of the particular congregation I'll be going to) are kind of unclear to me. I get thyat you sign the membership book, but do they require that you agree to make a certain monetary donation? I don't have any problem doing so, but I was just wondering if you could give me some extra insght into exactly what it entails.
Official members are asked to make a yearly pledge to the congregation, this is done in what we call Canvass. You choose the amount you want or can give. No one tells you what to pledge and no one is going to ask for your tax records or anything like that. If you cannot give anything monetarily, that's OK, you're not going to be kicked out. But one thing to remember in deciding to officially join the church is that you are saying you are going to give of yourself in some way to the church to support it.
Also, I noticed that there are a lot of "sub-programs" within the UU, like the Women's Federation, CUUPS, the Young Adult Network, and a lot of social action programs. I would definately like to join some of them. Are all, or at least most of the programs present in every congregation, or are there a limited number of programs? And, do you have to be a full member to be involved with them? How do you get involved?
You'll have to check on the congregation you want to attend to see what programs and organizations they have. It varies depending on interest and someone to lead it. In general, you do not have to be an official member to be involved in most anything in a UU church. (Again, this may vary from congregation to congreation), Except for being a member of the board or voting at congregational meetings which does require membership, anyone can participate in anything in the church.

Here's a beauty of UU: if the congregation you attend doesn't have an organization or program or class that you are interested in, you go to the board and say, "I think we should have this... " Of course if you do this, be prepared to get a response like, "Sounds good to me, you head it up!" But you see, it is possible to get these things added if there is enough interested parties willing to make it happen.

My last question is specifically about CUUPS, if anyone knows anything about them. I personally consider myself a Pagan, but is there a higher standard for membership? I would really like to be a part of it, but I'm not sure if they would take an atheistic pantheist (I can explain if you haven't seen my thread =) ).

I've not participated in CUUPS, but I think if your objectives and beliefs are mostly on par with theirs, they would be happy to have you. You (and anyone else regardless of belief) would be more than welcome to visit a meeting and talk with them about it.

Of course! We love cookies!

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
MaddLlama said:
Higher standard of membership? :areyoucra

Sorry, couldn't resist. It's just I'm currently taking a class on UU history and polity and one of the things we talked about today is that we really don't have many standards for most congregations/groups. Basically, if you're crazy enough to want to be one of us we are crazy enough to accept you. :p

We don't have an official CUUPS chapter at my church. But I can tell you that I regularly participate in the solstice and equinox rituals, and I don't even call myself a Pagan. (I'm a theistic panentheist; pleased to meet you.) Other members of our rag-tag team include a theistic pagan who calls specific gods, an atheistic pagan who believes in God (I just love that!), a couple of Sufi/Taoists, some humanists who like earth-centered worship for environmentalist reasons, and a Christian who honors the goddess. If your local congregation is anything like us, you'll fit right in. If there is any criterion for admission, it would be the ability to tolerate, even welcome, diversity.

I second all of Maize's other answers to you. Hey, welcome! :hug:

MaddLlama said:
Only if you share!

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
lilithu said:
Higher standard of membership?

Sorry, couldn't resist. It's just I'm currently taking a class on UU history and polity and one of the things we talked about today is that we really don't have many standards for most congregations/groups. Basically, if you're crazy enough to want to be one of us we are crazy enough to accept you.
That's good to know, I am quite crazy. :D

We don't have an official CUUPS chapter at my church. But I can tell you that I regularly participate in the solstice and equinox rituals, and I don't even call myself a Pagan. (I'm a theistic panentheist; pleased to meet you.) Other members of our rag-tag team include a theistic pagan who calls specific gods, an atheistic pagan who believes in God (I just love that!), a couple of Sufi/Taoists, some humanists who like earth-centered worship for environmentalist reasons, and a Christian who honors the goddess. If your local congregation is anything like us, you'll fit right in. If there is any criterion for admission, it would be the ability to tolerate, even welcome, diversity.
I hope so. =) I just worry, because I tried to join a few Pagan groups recently, and most of them didn't want me since I'm an atheist. I realize that UU is a bit more syncretic and diverse, but I didn't know if official membership was only given to "worshipping" Pagans. But after reading your response it seems very unlikely.

I second all of Maize's other answers to you. Hey, welcome! :hug:
Thanks! I'm really excited about it. :D:rainbow1:

BrandonE

King of Parentheses
Maize's answer covered pretty much everything, but I wanted to chime in too. :)

MaddLlama said:
We have an official CUUPs group at my church, and they lead at least two of the regular church services during the year (Beltane and one around Halloween). I've never gone to the meetings myself, but I can't imagine any CUUPs group having any trouble at all with a pagan-identifying atheist. There are probably already some in the group. :)