• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Something Out There

tomspug

Absorbant
One of the reasons I love the X-Files isn't because of its campy sci-fi, but because of its strong spiritual themes. I believe that there is a direct correlation between the desire for the existence of alien life and the desire for God to exist.

We could never admit it, but I believe that we are all scared of the dark and empty deep down. We are frightened by the concept of nothing. The idea that we are alone in the universe is downright disturbing, makes us feel trapped, encased in a world, like playing in our own grave.

We are desperate for fullness and light. We seek it in many ways: knowledge, achievement, recognition, power... But when people are really honest with themselves, what they want is companionship.

In the same way that we crave intimacy with a spouse, we crave intimacy with something even more other. Something that will change us and the world we live in. We want to grow and escape our hole, our life, our planet. It is greater than the idea of religion. Religion is not intimate. The idea of God is.

And honestly, people view aliens like they do God. In a way, aliens are the God alternative, the same awe and inspiration but without being at his mercy. Even then, we have movies like Independence Day, which views the unstoppable god as a grand challenge to the human race, to rise above what it currently is. They really do represent a futuristic heavenly mythology. The archaic concept of heaven has been replaced by an endless expanse of space, where one form of escapism has been replaced with another.

Belief in aliens IS escapism, and for many people so is God. Do aliens exist? Perhaps. But the way we interact with that possibility as a race indicates that this belief is rooted very much in something psychological, even spiritual perhaps.

tomspug

Absorbant
But that is too specific. Then the symptoms are limited purely to the search for knowledge. Darkness represents more than the unknown. It represents being alone, being cold, being lost, etc.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
But that is too specific. Then the symptoms are limited purely to the search for knowledge. Darkness represents more than the unknown. It represents being alone, being cold, being lost, etc.

I am not sure if one is also scared for "alone in everything".
What I mean, I am deadscared being alone on this planet. But one real friend here on this planet is enough for me to take away that scare.

cardero

Citizen Mod
The reason this could be is that the alien phenomenon seems to exhibit more intelligent than humans. The technological advances that are demonstrated by other intelligences make humankind feel primitive and diminutive but this does not necessarily transfer well to the spiritual. I think there is a tremendous shift in the way some people perceive aliens today. In a primitive era they may have been thought of as gods but in today’s science driven society some people will not convinced in the same way that primitive man had perceived them.

From my research there are a few possibilities that could be concluded about the discovery of other-worldly intelligences and our current spirituality.

The alien intelligence can know more than us about GOD and spiritual matters.

The alien intelligence could be our gods.

The alien intelligence knows that there is no GOD

The alien intelligence has the same amount of proof as we do about GOD.

The aliens are attracted to our spiritual nature because they cannot get in touch with their own.

cardero

Citizen Mod
There's a whole theory that Jesus was an alien... just thought I'd throw it out there...
Some researchers believe that Jesus' mother was an early abduction case with one exception, she was allowed to keep and raise her child. It would probably be the only way to explain how she could have claimed to be a virgin and still conceive a child.