• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speaking in Tongues

Gloone

Speaking in Tongues

This was once considered to be very demonic by the pagans and some actually closed off their temples so no one would be allowed in to speak in those tongues. A lot of people today think in order to be saved you have to speak in tongues or in some demonic dialect to be whole again. Why is this taught in a church where a church is suppose to be a place where people are to be saved and free from sin, not be indulged by it? I find the practice itself to be childish. So what do people think they are achieving by doing this?

As a side note: Churches are not the only place people do this. Other religions do it including some modern day pagans.

Last edited:
A

angellous_evangellous

Speaking in Tongues

This was once considered to be very demonic by the pagans and some actually closed off their temples so no one would be allowed in to speak in those tongues. A lot of people today think in order to be saved you have to speak in tongues or in some demonic dialect to be whole again. Why is this taught in a church where a church is suppose to be a place where people are to be saved and free from sin, not be indulged by it? I find the practice itself to be childish. So what do people think they are achieving by doing this?

I'd like a citation for that, please.

outhouse

Atheistically
I think he's going deep on this one as well.

are you talking about a freak occurance, you know thats not anywhere near mainstream religion

A

angellous_evangellous

I think he's going deep on this one as well.

are you talking about a freak occurance, you know thats not anywhere near mainstream religion

It sounds nuttier than rat crap in a pistacio factory, but I can't help but wonder if there's any truth to this. I'll look it up tonight.

I was reading something about speaking in tongues, and it's stereotypical to link speaking in tongues to be related to demons. Some highly religious people have done it.

outhouse

Atheistically
speaking in tongues is the most intelligent, perfect language in the universe. It is God's language.

thats from tom browns link above

Man does anyone else think this gives christianity a huge black eye and a standing 10 count?????

Gloone

It might take a while for me to find it again. I have a book full of religion / mythology and all of the crap that goes along with it like things different cultures actually followed and believe so I will get it for you, but it won't be right now. It might take awhile for me to find the direct quote.

Gloone

people in my church speak tongues all the time. They see no problem with it.
It was originally a pagan practice. Why did Christians and others decided to pick this habit up after denying all of the other pagan practices like idolatry?

Gloone

I can't find what I was looking for. Not going to waste my time looking for it either. All I know is that pagan temples were sealed shut because people were speaking in tongues when they went to them and it was considered demonic. What is the difference between pagan tongues and christian tongues. Why should one be used over the other and what purpose does it serve.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's been studied by linguists. It's basically gibberish phonetically similar to the speaker's native language.

A

angellous_evangellous

I can't find what I was looking for. Not going to waste my time looking for it either. All I know is that pagan temples were sealed shut because people were speaking in tongues when they went to them and it was considered demonic. What is the difference between pagan tongues and christian tongues. Why should one be used over the other and what purpose does it serve.

Well, that didn't happen in the Greek or Roman period, so it can't be connected to early Christianity... and demons weren't evil until much later -- they were essentially "demonized" in Christian theology.

Now there could be a unique situation where this may have happened, but there's a 99.9% chance that you're mis-informed or mis-remembering.