• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Starting a Parody Religion: "Megacorporatism"

Laika

Premium Member
I'm going to create a parody religion that satirises our everyday experience with Corporate Capitalism, called "Megacorporatism". I can probably satirise religion and politics along the way. The news is straight from the book of revelations and we really need someone to remind us to take life less seriously. I'll make it up as I go along to do something creative and try to give you some good laughs along the way. (All within the forum rules of course and you can hold me to that mods. :rolleyes:)

So it's official: Laika is off the leash. What could possibly go wrong?

a98158_ronald_11.jpg

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So it's official: Laika is off the leash. What could possibly go wrong?
If it's more reasonable & inspiring than real religions,
you risk being hailed as a real prophet. I trust corporations
more than ancient deluded perverted goatherds.

Laika

Premium Member
Isn't that already the underlying faith of the developed world?

Yep. But it's a faith that largely isn't questioned beyond very narrow limits. We all know "the system" is broken but we aren't going to take the risk of saying so or thinking about alternatives. Laughing at it, showing its absurd and getting people to stop being afraid of questioning it may get us to think more honestly about whats going on.

Maybe the religion's motto should be "I saw it on Youtube- it must be true!"

If it's more reasonable & inspiring than real religions,
you risk being hailed as a real prophet. I trust corporations
more than ancient deluded perverted goatherds.

New religions are often more reasonable and inspiring when they first start, usually before they become instruments of elites to justify their rule. I'm not going to object if people start to worship me as a prophet starting a cult but I can at least be honest that its purely for selfish reasons. :D

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Yep. But it's a faith that largely isn't questioned beyond very narrow limits. We all know "the system" is broken but we aren't going to take the risk of saying so or thinking about alternatives. Laughing at it, showing its absurd and getting people to stop being afraid of questioning it may get us to think more honestly about whats going on.

I wish I could be that optimistic. Though on the one hand, megacorporations are largely a modern construct and can only exist with certain conditions met. Those conditions are likely to fall apart in the foreseeable future as modern civilization fails to address global environmental issues and overpopulation. There's already enough backlash against the system - with the go local crowd - that there will be some things set up as a failsafe when it goes belly up.

Laika

Premium Member
I wish I could be that optimistic. Though on the one hand, megacorporations are largely a modern construct and can only exist with certain conditions met. Those conditions are likely to fall apart in the foreseeable future as modern civilization fails to address global environmental issues and overpopulation. There's already enough backlash against the system - with the go local crowd - that there will be some things set up as a failsafe when it goes belly up.

The fail safe is almost certainly going to be a form of fascism as we would be setting our expectations of the future as the bare minimum of preserving an existing civilisation and the continued existence of the human race. I'm 28, so if I live to age 80 I will be alive till 2069 when most of the ecological impacts of climate change and mass extinction will have hit. It would mean I would die watching the world burn. Having had depression, I'm willing to give my irrational instinctual desire to survive for the sheer joy of it a chance.

I admit I'm probably on the losing side, but I'd want to go down fighting for something worth believing in. As someone who will probably live to see that future be realised, I'm going to keep trying to find a better alternative and I'd want to find ways to encourage people to try as well. I haven't been effective so far, but humour on the internet seems to work better than doom and gloom. It tends to remind people whats important and what they want to live for. Its not that I'm not an optimist, its more that I refuse to settle for less than a live worth living.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I can't remember if you're one of our gamers here on RF but there was a very successful game a while back called Bioshock which was all about a dystopia Libertarian venture capitalist society and it's inevitable fall, both because it was much easier to be taken advantage of by the mob and an experimental super-soldier esque drug trade killed a bunch of people and turned a bunch more crazy.
From am aesthetic perspective it was an amazing game. And the opening words of the antagonist could be the motto.

Laika

Premium Member
I can't remember if you're one of our gamers here on RF but there was a very successful game a while back called Bioshocj which was all about a dystopia Libertarian venture capitalist society and it's inevitable fall, both because it was much easier to be taken advantage of by the mob and m experimental super-soldier esque drug trade killed a bunch of people and turned a bunch more crazy.
From am aesthetic perspective it was an amazing game. And the opening words of the antagonist could be the motto.

I am vaguely aware of bioshock and that it was influenced by many of the ideas from Ayn Rand's Objectivism and the Libertarian Movement. The words in the speech are very close to the spirit of Objectivism's appeal. So it might be something to look at. Thanks. :)