• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stem-cell vote blurs religion-based politics

Pah

Uber all member
Complete article from Boston.com, The Boston Herald

Stem-cell vote blurs religion-based politics

By Peter S. Canellos, Globe Staff | November 9, 2004

WASHINGTON -- In a campaign that played out like a red state/blue state version of the Hatfields and the McCoys, the issue of embryonic stem-cell research was one of many nails poured into the blue-state blunderbuss and fired across the Mason-Dixon line.

It may have been the only one that hit its target. The biggest McCoy of all, California, voted to authorize spending up to $3 billion over 10 years on stem-cell research -- a plan intended as a direct assault on President Bush's strict limits on embryonic stem-cell research and, by extension, on the politics of religious values that underlay the Bush campaign.

Political movements, like the best surfer waves, tend to flow from West to East. With little to comfort them since Bush's victory last week, Democrats can only hope the stem-cell revolt will follow the same path as the tax revolts of the late '70s and the immigration revolts of the early '90s.

The California stem-cell referendum was extraordinary in many respects. It put a state government in the business of medical research, taking on a job that normally falls to the federal government and private sector. And while many state referendums seem more symbolic than real -- a chance for citizens to cast a meaningless protest vote -- this one delivered big money. The $3 billion is, by some measures, more than John F. Kerry promised in his plan to ramp up stem-cell research.

huajiro

It may have been the only one that hit its target. The biggest McCoy of all, California, voted to authorize spending up to $3 billion over 10 years on stem-cell research -- a plan intended as a direct assault on President Bush's strict limits on embryonic stem-cell research and, by extension, on the politics of religious values that underlay the Bush campaign.

Political movements, like the best surfer waves, tend to flow from West to East. With little to comfort them since Bush's victory last week, Democrats can only hope the stem-cell revolt will follow the same path as the tax revolts of the late '70s and the immigration revolts of the early '90s.
Too bad the shmuck is doing it for all the wrong reasons. I really feel that Bush is against it, not because he believes in it, so much as not being able to afford being against it.

lousyskater

i'm glad it got passed(i voted yes on it). i bet it must have been a slap in the face for bush. everything seemed to be going his way and then the stem-cell bill is passed.:jiggy:

huajiro

lousyskater said:
i'm glad it got passed(i voted yes on it). i bet it must have been a slap in the face for bush. everything seemed to be going his way and then the stem-cell bill is passed.:jiggy:
Please don't tell me you voted "yes" on it just to give Bush a slap in the face.:sarcastic

robtex

Veteran Member
lousyskater said:

dude what were you thinking!! Do you know how many bombs and guns he could have bought with that money to kill woman in childen in the middle east!! Where are your priorites!! :149: (kidding)

Ellie_A

Why is this even a political issue? Why are there so many personal and moral ideas being draged around in the government when they should be taught at home? What ever side of the fence you are on. But why do so many people feel that EVERYONE has to live just like them? We are not that same, isn't that obvious? These one size fits all politics don't work. Should we not quit regulating these sorts of things?

Reactions: Pah

huajiro

Ellie_A said:
Why is this even a political issue? Why are there so many personal and moral ideas being draged around in the government when they should be taught at home? What ever side of the fence you are on. But why do so many people feel that EVERYONE has to live just like them? We are not that same, isn't that obvious? These one size fits all politics don't work. Should we not quit regulating these sorts of things?
Amen, amen, amen