• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stereotyping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booko

Deviled Hen
I personally don't like the "all pagans sacrifice chickens" one. Sheesh! In this day and age...

Well, I *really* don't like that one! :chicken:

No one's mentioned the one where pagans all worship Satan yet?

I can't tell you how many times I've had to correct that one.

Well, I do live in the South. *sigh*

Booko

Deviled Hen
Copied from a thread in DIR Paganism.

OK, Nutshell, since you seem hellbent on discussing this, let's do it somewhere where we won't be taking a thread completely off topic.

Perhaps you would like to explain to me why making an observation about different cultural habits regarding religion is "stereotyping."

I've lived in Georgia for a quarter of a century now, and in the Midwest for longer than that.

Where I grew up, it was considered tasteless and rude to inquire into other people's religious practices, and decidedly tasteless and rude to shove your religious practices in anyone else's face.

In the South, discussions about religion are commonplace, whether friendly or otherwise.

It was precisely this cultural difference that enabled George Romney, member of LDS, to be the governor of Michigan for many years, while he wouldn't have stood a chance of getting elected and reelected in any Southern state at the time.

Where I grew up in the Midwest, pagans are not referred to at all. Where I live now, there are many comments made in public, none of them particularly nice, and many of them dead wrong about pagan practice.

Now have fun explaining how this is "stereotyping."

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Isn't that hypocritical? You don't like how pagas are stereotyped, yet you are now stereotyping the south...???:rolleyes:
Not a stereotype, man. I was raised on tales of how devil worshipers get pregnant, have the baby, and sacrifice it to Satan as soon as it's born. And especially in the rural areas there is little to no distinction between pagan and Satan-worshiper. I'm speaking from living here for 20 years, not stereotypes.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Not a stereotype, man. I was raised on tales of how devil worshipers get pregnant, have the baby, and sacrifice it to Satan as soon as it's born. And especially in the rural areas there is little to no distinction between pagan and Satan-worshiper. I'm speaking from living here for 20 years, not stereotypes.

:yes: I've been living not so far from you for what...23 years now? I've heard everything you report here, even in my part of town, which is pretty cosmopolitan.

And yes, I'm even more likely to encounter stuff like that the more rural an area is.

The most I've ever heard anyone say about pagans in the Midwest where I'm from (and still spend much time, like right now), is that they don't believe it's right, and even a rare statement like that would be delivered very quietly, as if the person is almost embarassed to bring up the topic.

nutshell

Copied from a thread in DIR Paganism.

OK, Nutshell, since you seem hellbent on discussing this, let's do it somewhere where we won't be taking a thread completely off topic.

Perhaps you would like to explain to me why making an observation about different cultural habits regarding religion is "stereotyping."

I've lived in Georgia for a quarter of a century now, and in the Midwest for longer than that.

Where I grew up, it was considered tasteless and rude to inquire into other people's religious practices, and decidedly tasteless and rude to shove your religious practices in anyone else's face.

In the South, discussions about religion are commonplace, whether friendly or otherwise.

It was precisely this cultural difference that enabled George Romney, member of LDS, to be the governor of Michigan for many years, while he wouldn't have stood a chance of getting elected and reelected in any Southern state at the time.

Where I grew up in the Midwest, pagans are not referred to at all. Where I live now, there are many comments made in public, none of them particularly nice, and many of them dead wrong about pagan practice.

Now have fun explaining how this is "stereotyping."

I'm "hellbent" on discussing this? Where do you get that idea?

Romeny was governor in Michigan, but not the South?
Umm...OK.

You don't like what people say about pagans, I guess because what people say is usually based on stereotype (things like "pagans worship Satan"). Yet, you close your post by saying you were in the south *sigh*...aren't you generalizing about the South just like the South apparently generalizes about pagans?

nutshell

that's right...every Southerner is just as you describe them.

nutshell

Yes, that is exactly what I said. I totally wasn't making a statement about the area I live in and what I saw and heard as I was growing up.

Well, if you read the OP, you'll know we were talking about the South. You said nothing in your post to narrow the geography. Nice try.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Well, if you read the OP, you'll know we were talking about the South. You said nothing in your post to narrow the geography. Nice try.
So am I. :areyoucra In case you haven't noticed from my various posts about it and my location, I live in the south. What about me talking about what I saw/heard as I was growing up along with my location doesn't narrow down the geography? Would you like me to give you my county, city, and street address while we're at it?

nutshell

So am I. :areyoucra In case you haven't noticed from my various posts about it and my location, I live in the south. What about me talking about what I saw/heard as I was growing up along with my location doesn't narrow down the geography? Would you like me to give you my county, city, and street address while we're at it?

You stereotype then defend yourself by saying you were just talking about your area and then double back again and say you're talking about the south.

Believe me...the last thing I want is your address.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
You're as ridiculous as Booko. You stereotype then defend yourself by saying you were just talking about your area and then double back again and say you're talking about the south.

Believe me...the last thing I want is your address.
Do I need to also inform you that Georgia is in the south, and that by talking about Georgia I am, by definition, talking about a part of the south?

nutshell

Do I need to also inform you that Georgia is in the south, and that by talking about Georgia I am, by definition, talking about a part of the south?

Would you like to actually address anything in these posts or just continue slinging personal attacks at Booko and myself?

R i d i c u l o u s

The topic was "the South." You narrowed it.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Romeny was governor in Michigan, but not the South?
Umm...OK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Romney

Yes, and G.W. Romney could not have been elected in any Southern State during that time, because of his religion and the cultural attitudes towards religion in that part of the world.

Even now, as his son Mitt makes a bid for the Presidency, there are reservations about his "cultish" religion made in the South where I live, but Midwesterners tend to react with "so what?" if his membership in LDS is mentioned.

I say it's a cultural difference because I see the same reaction from transplanted Midwesterners that I do for those still living in the Midwest.

You don't like what people say about pagans, I guess because what people say is usually based on stereotype (things like "pagans worship Satan"). Yet, you close your post by saying you were in the south *sigh*...aren't you generalizing about the South just like the South apparently generalizes about pagans?

No, actually I don't like it when people say things that are demonstrably wrong.

I'm sorry you seem unable to grasp the distinction.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
So which part of the south would you like me to talk about? Georgia? South Carolina? Alabama? North Carolina? Virginia? Tennessee? Florida? I've been to all of them.

nutshell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Romney

Yes, and G.W. Romney could not have been elected in any Southern State during that time, because of his religion and the cultural attitudes towards religion in that part of the world.

Even now, as his son Mitt makes a bid for the Presidency, there are reservations about his "cultish" religion made in the South where I live, but Midwesterners tend to react with "so what?" if his membership in LDS is mentioned.

I say it's a cultural difference because I see the same reaction from transplanted Midwesterners that I do for those still living in the Midwest.

Umm...who freakin' cares???!!!

No, actually I don't like it when people say things that are demonstrably wrong.

I'm sorry you seem unable to grasp the distinction.

And I don't like it when people generalize against a specific group, which is exactly what you did.

Sorry you're incapable of grasping the distinction.

Status
Not open for further replies.